Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needing to download FS 2004 on Win 10 machine

Options
  • 10-11-2019 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi there,

Another HD failure and needing to download a copy of FS 2004 which I've used on previous laptops in WIN 7 however I believe you need to download an update FS91 Exe file for it to run on WIN 10. I downloaded the Run FS 2004 No CD file but needing the rest of it. What I have so far in the downloads is attached with captured image.

Where can I get a copy to download FS 2004 now that there are no CD ROM drives (I'm very old school). Any newer versions of FS won't run on my laptop due to it needing more higher specs...graphic etc.

I would say I'm a casual Virtual Pilot so not needing all the jazz that you would get for desktop machines. Probably my favourite aircraft on FS2004 are the 747-200, 777 and VC10. I'm a big fan of Russian Civilian aircraft too. I have the CD ROMS for these but guess I'm going to have to search elsewhere to re download.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Many thanks

Dave

Comments

OP, I would'nt bother replying only that I have played Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and all the preceding editions as well since FS 98.

Why not consider "Flight Gear" ? Although the budget version, I can recommend this as the best Flight Sim for older machines: I have downloaded this and played it on an old machine as well, but not running Windows 10, running Windows 7. I may still have it installed on my VAIO, if so I will fire it up later and post screenshots here shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

All this time never heard of Flight Gear with the Open Source option.

I downloaded their newest version however it is very slow on the PC. Just wondering what versions you have successfully used? Might try older version such as 2016 see if it makes a difference.

Got them through this link.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/flightgear/files/

Just thinking would the USB purchase option be better for slow PC's?

Thanks for that.

2016 version is one used on my win 7 vaio. !

Should work fine on your machine.

Don't know about your USB Query cant answer maybe somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

Ok, tested out FSX Steam version, no luck there even when I reduced the graphic qualities etc... still it crashed.

Now installed Flight Gear 1.9.1 and it works fine abeit scenery is not what you would call modern but hey at least I can fly now, only thing is I'm stuck on default San Francisco Bay area as the SD ad on 1.01 scenery version can't be found, only the 2.01 HD version is available.

https://www.flightgear.org/legacy-Downloads/scenery-v2.12.html

Guess I'll have to source a better video card to upgrade if I want to use the more recent Flight Sims. Read somewhere that might be able to get away with 2.0 version of Flight Gear on this laptop but recent versions bit iffy. Laptop is only less than 2 years old and on i5 8th Generation with 8GB RAM and 1TB storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You could probably put together a desktop for 200 that can run these without crashing. I won't say well but at least it would work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement