Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian RPG

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can also get a muzzle attachment to make your gun quieter. Stick one of these on a deadeye assault rifle with a scope and you can wipe an are without being detected quite easily (it doesn't silence the gun completely but they won't hear it provided you're far enoguh away).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cheers. Would have liked the option of stealth kills with melee weapons at least, as I threw a good few points into stealth at the start. Found out there was no stealth kills when I was practically sniffing a Marauders arse. That one didn't go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Penn wrote: »
    Cheers. Would have liked the option of stealth kills with melee weapons at least, as I threw a good few points into stealth at the start. Found out there was no stealth kills when I was practically sniffing a Marauders arse. That one didn't go well.

Stealth is still a good one to pump points into anyway as lockpicking is tied to it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lockpicking and hacking are invaluable later on if you're trying to avoid a fight most of the time, you can get them over a 100 without having to max them out if you use the right armour/perks/companions.

You need to get stealth to 20 before you unlock the bonus damage for a stealth kill btw, I think if you spec for melee then one hit stealth kills would be possible a lot of the time if you're using the right melee weapon.

Yeah definitely wanted to throw skill points into it for the hacking and lockpicking anyway, and will keep throwing a few points into it.

Getting more confident with the gunplay too anyway so if it comes to a shootout, if I have to forego the stealth I should still be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Finished the game, enjoyed it though I don't plan on replaying it. The ending narrator sounded like he was pitching for some good ol' fashion values... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't see the likeness to Fallout that was mentioned in the thread a few times a while back. Though I am only a half an hour into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Finished the game, enjoyed it though I don't plan on replaying it. The ending narrator sounded like he was pitching for some good ol' fashion values... :p

Same. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but likely won't replay. There's just not enough to it to warrant a replay. Weapons, armour, environments, they lack a bit of variety which brings the game down a bit. It's real strength is the writing, main story and little side quests and characters (though quite the point of Felix I do not know) which I think I explored most of first time around.

Well worth a playthrough though.

Same. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but likely won't replay. There's just not enough to it to warrant a replay. Weapons, armour, environments, they lack a bit of variety which brings the game down a bit. It's real strength is the writing, main story and little side quests and characters (though quite the point of Felix I do not know) which I think I explored most of first time around.

He has a companion quest on scylla, I reckon he gets more dialog options if you take him to meet the iconoclasts (I didnt, but he certainly had stuff to say about them when next I spoke to him, which leads me to believe that theres more to his story than what I saw). I'd concede that hes probably the least interesting of the teammates. I kept Vicar max with me for most of it, followed by Ellie, Sam, Parvati, Nyoka and then Felix.

I do like how little details can crop up later, such as doing that Movies side quest... and later having it being discussed when you're caught under disguise sneaking around and the person catching you freaking out he's seen you in the films so he lets you go. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I do like how little details can crop up later, such as doing that Movies side quest... and later having it being discussed when you're caught under disguise sneaking around and the person catching you freaking out he's seen you in the films so he lets you go. :D

That happened to me too. Nice touch. I think it could have done more with this kind of thing though, it was one of the few times that your past actions are referenced by characters later on.

That happened to me too. Nice touch. I think it could have done more with this kind of thing though, it was one of the few times that your past actions are referenced by characters later on.

I did like how the loading screens changed after you had hit particular milestones, the propaganda poster style art was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

Wearing the suit made by Celeste gives you some nice compliments from various NPCs :)

I need to give this another go. Played it for an hour. Got to the first town. Talked to the guy in charge. Switched it off and haven't gone back.

I need to give this another go. Played it for an hour. Got to the first town. Talked to the guy in charge. Switched it off and haven't gone back.

I reckon if it hasn't grabbed you by the time you leave the first town area(edgewater), it's not for you. - and by leave, I mean leave the planet with that story element resolved.

It grabbed me till hour 22 or so. Till I got tired of getting quest markers that my character had no reason to know. There was nothing given that suggested that that was the building I needed to go to. The game wouldn't work with the HUD off.

This isn't really about the Outer Worlds but it made me hark back a bit to Morrowind.

A role playing game with a Godlike knowledge of the world and the people you have to meet is not my cup of tea even if I have limited time to play. Running at green arrows just for some conversation?

Think I'm done with open world games like this for now. I'm gonna switch to games that are games in the way they present themselves.. A game.

It grabbed me till hour 22 or so. Till I got tired of getting quest markers that my character had no reason to know. There was nothing given that suggested that that was the building I needed to go to. The game wouldn't work with the HUD off.

This isn't really about the Outer Worlds but it made me hark back a bit to Morrowind.

A role playing game with a Godlike knowledge of the world and the people you have to meet is not my cup of tea even if I have limited time to play.

Think I'm done with open world games like this for now. I'm gonna switch to games that are games in the way they present themselves.. A game.

I completed the game in less that 25 hours, so you might be close to finishing it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

Godlike knowledge of the world
    You spend 70 years on stasis and developed a time slowing skill, so a bit of superhuman perception won't be that unbelievable, right? :)

I completed the game in less that 25 hours, so you might be close to finishing it anyway?

Don't mind much to be honest. I'm losing interest in pay offs etc. I can get better from a book.

The Outer Worlds for me turned into fast travel to continue any story that I was following. The world didn't engage me. My last hour on it was checkpoints of various enemies every 100m or 200m on a road. It was absurd. It's immersion breaking that creatures and sentient enemies are next to each other. They'd run into each other taking a piss.

The entire notion of road blocks works in the Far Cry world but not in the Outer Worlds. Logically, these creatures and these enemies would be waiting in hiding which would have been cool, instead of them chilling there for no apparent reason.

"These Maradauers and this Mantaqueen who are within sight of each other have a truce in case I, the hero, trespass into their territory."

It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

The Outer Worlds for me turned into fast travel to continue any story that I was following. The world didn't engage me. My last hour on it was checkpoints of various enemies every 100m or 200m on a road. It was absurd. It's immersion breaking that creatures and sentient enemies are next to each other. They'd run into each other taking a piss.
    It's just a consequence of everything being closer together to make the game work. The settlements on Monarch are only a few hundred meters apart in some but always talked about like they're some remote outpost.

As for constant fast travel I noticed that too towards the end of my second playthrough. I think playing on supernova first made it a better experience and also made who to side with on Monarch a much easier decision, the faction with a landing pad in their town.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    Wearing the suit made by Celeste gives you some nice compliments from various NPCs :)

There's an achievement for wearing the Chimera suit and Nice (Top) Hat.

Got it out of the blue, with it being an "ultra rare" Trophy on PS4... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

So......Many.....Loading Screens....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

I started this a couple of days ago and I’ve hardly progressed. It just hasnt gripped me and the loading screens are waaaay too long and too often. Ill keep at it but dont feel like im going to enjoy it. It agree with the fallout likeness.. I am a huge fallout lover though but just not there yet with the outer worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I need to know what Ads By Google considers a game.

Was loving this but got burnt out fairly quickly. Made quick progress and was nearing the end of monarch. Then I decided to jumped back into Apex legends for a quickie and haven't touched outer worlds since, that was 3 weeks ago. I keep meaning to get back and finish it but I don't know why it's just not pulling me back in. Theres always something else that makes me say nah, maybe tomorrow. Usually Apex legends :-)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I need to know what Ads By Google considers a game.

I understand that the Outer Worlds is a game. I guess I meant games where the gameplay is the game. Like Rocket League which I played for a long time, or Shadow Tactics which I started this week. Or even stuff like Beat Saber and Superhot.

This game left me feeling a bit dejected. I enjoyed it and posted positively for a while but hit a wall where quest markers were bordering on absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Polar101

Finished this yesterday. Main story wasn't great, but some of the other stories were. Could have used more than 5 different types of enemies, and a lot less junk loot. I did pretty much all side quests (except one that was a bit buggy, and two of the companion quests), and finished it in 21 hours.

I would prefer if the sequel wasn't a bigger open-world version of the same - sometimes it's nice to have RPGs that don't take months to finish.

Decided to put this aside for Death Stranding. I'll hopefully come back to it at some point, but just wasn't grabbing me, and while normally I'd plow through and just finish it, my time is more limited these days so I'd rather just put it into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Penn wrote: »
    Decided to put this aside for Death Stranding. I'll hopefully come back to it at some point, but just wasn't grabbing me, and while normally I'd plow through and just finish it, my time is more limited these days so I'd rather just put it into something else.

Time is more limited, so an 80 hour walking package delivery game is the answer? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Time is more limited, so an 80 hour walking package delivery game is the answer? ;)

I'm the same as Penn, was enjoying The Outer Worlds but picked up Death Stranding with intention of going back to finishing TOW after a quick go of DS. Not sure how many hours I'm in, but i don't want to spend a second on any other game until Death Stranding is complete, however long that night take.

Advertisement