Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leak coming thru plaster in roof

• 10-11-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I got a bathroom put in 7 years ago. We noticed a leak now coming thru the roof. I will has to get the plumber who fitted the bathroom back in to have a look. My question is if we have to pull up the tile floor or cut through the plaster in the roof to have a look will the plumbers insurance have to pay for this?its the second leak we’ve had from the bathroom and we paid for the repairs for the first leak. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

rondog wrote: »
    Hi all. I got a bathroom put in 7 years ago. We noticed a leak now coming thru the roof. I will has to get the plumber who fitted the bathroom back in to have a look. My question is if we have to pull up the tile floor or cut through the plaster in the roof to have a look will the plumbers insurance have to pay for this?its the second leak we’ve had from the bathroom and we paid for the repairs for the first leak. Thanks

By roof I presume you mean ceiling.
    The leak might have nothing to do with the work the plumber did 7 years ago, it may be coming from older connections in the plumbing system.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

After seven years . No this is a pay yourself job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got a bathroom put in 7 years ago. We noticed a leak now coming thru the roof..........My question is if we have to pull up the tile floor or cut through the plaster in the roof to have a look will the plumbers insurance have to pay for this?
    After 7 years, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rondog

it was the plumber who put in the new fittings.It was a whole new fit out for a bathroom.

are leaks commonplace after 7 years or should i expect some deterioration in the work?

One of the switches that turns the boiler on failed a couple of weeks back too.Its a connection that fits to the boiler and turns it on when i turn the switch on for heating downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Is the leak in the bathroom ceiling or ceiling below the bathroom?

There's really no comeback after 7 years anyway, all could be unrelated to what the plumber did or could be considered general wear and tear, not a hope in hell he'll consider himself responsible or liable after so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

What king of guarantee (if any) did the plumber give you, 7 years is a seriously long time.

Leak could be anything really from flashing on the roof allowing water through to a loose/broken connection.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Sorry just to clarify the leak has come from the upstairs bathroom,there are leak stains on the ceiling right below the sink but they are also under the upstairs Shower on the ceiling.Seems a leak from shower and/or sink.
    He is coming out to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Sorry just to clarify the leak has come from the upstairs bathroom,there are leak stains on the ceiling right below the sink but they are also under the upstairs Shower on the ceiling.Seems a leak from shower and/or sink.
    He is coming out to check it out.

I'd hazard a guess it's more likely to be a leak that's associated with tiling work than plumbing work.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

He did mention that so will have that checked out too.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is the leak directly under the shower? I had a leak recently and I resealed around the shower tray, but that didnt fix the issue, on a closer inspection I noticed all the grout between the tiles on the shower wall was cracked.. Fixed that and that solved the problem.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Is the leak directly under the shower? I had a leak recently and I resealed around the shower tray, but that didnt fix the issue, on a closer inspection I noticed all the grout between the tiles on the shower wall was cracked.. Fixed that and that solved the problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.The grout needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

garv123 wrote: »

we had similar issue and turned out to be the seal where the controls where on the wall against the tiles. And the actual inner of the cartridge was old, and was also causing a weep / leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

One thing of note, do not leave this for any length of time, the water especially if you have insulation between upstairs and downstairs can stay soaked in and rot the beams. This has happened at my parents and what would of been a small plastering job turned into a two beam cut out, with acro jacks to hold up roof/floor and put in new beams attached to remainder of beams to reinforce. Then fix shower which had broken its drain plug from the shower base.

Advertisement