Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The great converting a naomi driver thread

• 05-11-2019 10:06am

So my 18 wheeler is finally working.
    I installed a new toothed belt for the steering mech last night and its made the world of difference to the wheel.

18 wheeler seems extremely short,5 short tracks maybe

So what next?

Well I'd like to try get some other games working.
    Here is a list of Naomi games I found.

Anyone here done it yet?

18 Wheeler
    Crazy Taxi
    F1 World Grand Prix
    F355 Challenge 2 : International Course Edition Twin
    F355 Challenge Twin
    Club Kart
    Club Kart : European Session
    Club Kart Cycraft
    Club Kart Prize
    King of Route 66
    Sega Driving Simulator
    Wild Riders
    Initial D : Arcade Stage
    Initial D : Arcade Stage 2
    Initial D : Version 3
    Initial D : Version 3 Cycraft
    Outrun 2
    Outrun 2 SP
    Crazy Taxi High Roller

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

So my 18 wheeler is finally working.
    I installed a new toothed belt for the steering mech last night and its made the world of difference to the wheel.

18 wheeler seems extremely short,5 short tracks maybe

So what next?

Well I'd like to try get some other games working.
    Here is a list of Naomi games I found.

Anyone here done it yet?

18 Wheeler
    Crazy Taxi
    F1 World Grand Prix
    F355 Challenge 2 : International Course Edition Twin
    F355 Challenge Twin
    Club Kart
    Club Kart : European Session
    Club Kart Cycraft
    Club Kart Prize
    King of Route 66
    Sega Driving Simulator
    Wild Riders
    Initial D : Arcade Stage
    Initial D : Arcade Stage 2
    Initial D : Version 3
    Initial D : Version 3 Cycraft
    Outrun 2
    Outrun 2 SP
    Crazy Taxi High Roller
    Have you met booted any of them to your cab..

I'd imagine king of route 66 is playable of the bat unless it needs extra buttons I think it does or maybe it's 18 wheeler, some do.
    Maybe Sega driving simulator if that is Tokyo bus guide but wasn't sure if that got an arcade release.

Some games just don't transfer to playing with different wheel setups.i know I can't play 18 kor66 as its uncontrollable same with club kart
    Didn't realize f1 world championship got an arcade release thought it was dreamcast only.

I can't remember playing f355 ,on my set up ever either so wondering if it needs something,or why that is :think:

I don't have a netboot set up yet (i had a CF setup years ago with an old Naomi uni I sold).
    I suppose that is a good place to start.
    What do I need to get a netboot setup?

also Kor66 is Namoi 2 ,I only have a naomi 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kerbdog is your man for the Netboot set-up of the Naomi, I'll let him know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Once the image exists for a NetDimm I don't see a problem except if there are different versions of the control panel PCB (JVS I/O board) which some of those games might require.

For a basic netdimm setup you just need a NetDimm with a 'zero'd out security key and the software to push the game images.
    Lots of guides online, here be one

Word of warning - a cheap Naomi 'DIMM' isn't the same as a Naomi 'NetDimm' - it looks the same but doesn't have the network jack which you require for NetDimm fun :) There are a few NetDimms ready to go on eBay with the security key ready, but they are not cheap.

Good info,
    How much should I expect to pay for a NetDimm cart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like between 170~200euro is the going rate. I'd say you could get the shipping back on that eBay listing with a -30e offer

Ouch......must resist......payday.....incoming........

You’ll need a chihiro for the last three but netdimm is already in that the rest some will load but will require some pins changed over on the io board to function correctly (like reverse in crazy taxi, shifters in jambo safari) wild riders, f355 and driving simulator require additional hardware iirc (4 way shifter at least) and won’t be playable although they may load there’s also the wangan series which is pretty great and runs on chihiro without ffb

Also 18 wheeler has a 360 mech and crazy taxi has 270 but should be playable with reverse wired up
    Initial D has gears on different pins on the io which will need to be changed

Also you can use a cf drive with a regular cheap dimm also but it requires the firmware flashed but the chip has to be removed for this because there’s no network port.. still it’s a lot cheaper and the guy does it on arcade-projects for pretty cheap, also a guy on Vac can do it too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

If you get a uhid and connector blocks from radionics you can connect the controls directly to a pc and play all the 270degree driving games (mame and m2 emulator).

What's a uhid?

• Advertisement

Advertisement