Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Hard to believe there isn't some free agent better than Marshall Newhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well the one good thing coming out of this game is Sanu, he looks like a great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That Ravens offence is tough to match up against, Jackson is really giving them a lot of options out of the backfield that's creating holes for the rest of the backs as well.
    Very hard to get an offense off the field that can run the ball so effectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

BizzyC wrote: »
    That Ravens offence is tough to match up against, Jackson is really giving them a lot of options out of the backfield that's creating holes for the rest of the backs as well.
    Very hard to get an offense off the field that can run the ball so effectively
    See you in the Championship Game, Baltimore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Sanu played well alright but it's concerning that this was arguably the most difficult team played this year (after a run of games against sub par teams) and we lost and lost badly.

Even as a pats fan, the play of Lamar Jackson couldnt but bring a smile to my face, he's ballin' it like a young michael vick with better passing accuracy.

Bill got to see his full range last night just like he did in the regular season against Mahomes last year.
    He'll have a game plan ready should we meet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Could see this loss coming from aways. Watching Jackson reminded me of Wilson in SB 49, just infuriating. Biggest take away for me, is the need to be able to deal with TEs across the flat. I think the majority of the Ravens throws were there, don't remember any shots of note downfield.

Offense looked much better in the 2nd half, as ever, the disappearance of White is a headscratcher. He was making hay on that one scoring drive, then poof, he's gone again. Really think Sony is something of a busted flush without our blocking talent from last year. Don't think Tom is ever going to trust him as a pass catcher, and he doesn't seem to be an explosive runner at all. Burkhead always looks far better to me, just made of glass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bill got to see his full range last night just like he did in the regular season against Mahomes last year.
    He'll have a game plan ready should we meet again.

That is going by the assumption that there isn't more to see from the Ravens. Their backs weren't put against the wall at all last night so you don't know what they held back.

Bill's defenses have relatively struggled with the Jackson type of skillset (relatively as the bar is set so high). Having a great game plan and guys who follow it perfectly isn't always enough when you're facing such high caliber duel threat QBs.

What is the speed like with the Pat's DL and LBs? It wasn't jumping off the screen last night and that can be extremely helpful in solving the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not too worried about the loss against a good team away from home who are coming off a bye. There was also a lot of sloppy play from the Patriots, the jumping offside on the FG attempt (cost us 4pts), James White slipping while on his way to the endzone (4pts), Edelman's fumble (7pts) so thats a total of 15pts in a 17pt loss that was uncharacteristic. So of all games to lose i'm ok with this. 8-1 going into the bye and we were served some humble pie for BB to emphasize and the player to digest over the next 2 weeks. Compared to how our seasons have started in the last 3 years this is by far the best season.

OLine is a problem. Thankfully its just one more game of Newhouse and we get Wynn back. The bye will give players like Shaq Mason time to fully heal.

At times last night the Pats offense looked the best it had all year and WRs will now have some time to gel with Brady over the next 2 weeks and Sanu looks like he could be a very good addition. Harry will get into the mix too, although he hasn't impressed so far but hopefully he'll figure it out.

As for the Lamar Jackson offense, i'm not too worried come playoff time. They showed their best hand already and i suspect that BB will be in a lot better prepared the second time round. They jumped out to a 17pt lead based on that and BB made in game adjustments to somewhat neutralist it, so given him a full week and i think we'll be more than ok. Also the Ravens offense using their QB as a RB isn't sustainable in the long run, i'll be very impressed if Lamar Jackson is still able to run that well in January because those hits are going to add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Hazys wrote: »
    Not too worried about the loss against a good team away from home who are coming off a bye. There was also a lot of sloppy play from the Patriots, the jumping offside on the FG attempt (cost us 4pts), James White slipping while on his way to the endzone (4pts), Edelman's fumble (7pts) so thats a total of 15pts in a 17pt loss that was uncharacteristic. So of all games to lose i'm ok with this. 8-1 going into the bye and we were served some humble pie for BB to emphasize and the player to digest over the next 2 weeks. Compared to how our seasons have started in the last 3 years this is by far the best season.

OLine is a problem. Thankfully its just one more game of Newhouse and we get Wynn back. The bye will give players like Shaq Mason time to fully heal.

At times last night the Pats offense looked the best it had all year and WRs will now have some time to gel with Brady over the next 2 weeks and Sanu looks like he could be a very good addition. Harry will get into the mix too, although he hasn't impressed so far but hopefully he'll figure it out.

As for the Lamar Jackson offense, i'm not too worried come playoff time. They showed their best hand already and i suspect that BB will be in a lot better prepared the second time round. They jumped out to a 17pt lead based on that and BB made in game adjustments to somewhat neutralist it, so given him a full week and i think we'll be more than ok. Also the Ravens offense using their QB as a RB isn't sustainable in the long run, i'll be very impressed if Lamar Jackson is still able to run that well in January because those hits are going to add up.

I understand not getting worried after one game but it is a bit of a stretch to imagine up 15 extra points while not acknowledging half of Pats points came from mistakes from Baltimore, turning over the ball close to their own line.

It also seems ambitious to say that the Ravens played their best hand already, they had a sizeable lead for most of the game so didn't need to take any risks. On the other side I admit to not watching many of the Pats walkovers this year but I was disappointed with the their offense. The Ravens have one of the worst DLs at pressuring the QB and the Pats still couldn't move the ball that well.

• Advertisement

Excellent post Hazys, didn't think about it that much as I was tired. We actually won the last 44 minutes of that game last night. All the damage was done early going down 17-0.
    As you say the OL should be much better in two weeks time. The rest will do everybody good as it would have the Ravens coming into last night's game.
    I'm excited anot N'Keal Harry, think he is going to be a great addition. Sanu looked phenomenal last night and Edelman will get a bit of space if those two are aying well. Running game is a bit of a concern but I think White and Michel are being kept fresh as they are hugely important in the postseason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Excellent post Hazys, didn't think about it that much as I was tired. We actually won the last 44 minutes of that game last night. All the damage was done early going down 17-0.

Surely you drew in the last 44 minutes of the game? Pats went down by 17 in the first quarter and lost by 17.

Podge_irl wrote:
    Surely you drew in the last 44 minutes of the game? Pats went down by 17 in the first quarter and lost by 17.
    LOL, for some reason I had the score at 31-20, I was very tired at the end of the game. I don't think it was ever 31-20 because I remember Tucker missing a point after which left it at a 10 point lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

An uninspiring win, but an important win nonetheless, for more than 1 reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

An uninspiring win, but an important win nonetheless, for more than 1 reason.
    The D won this one. Gave the offense a number of chances to put this to bed early, but couldn’t even get into FG range.
    OL has to get better/healthy come the playoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

The D won this one. Gave the offense a number of chances to put this to bed early, but couldn’t even get into FG range.

Wynn is back next week, it won't help Tom with his execution but it will buy extra time. It will click eventually. Maybe Gronk coming back on Tuesday is the ticket ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I mean, Edelman did drop a TD. Showcase for Bailey tho.

Well I'm not getting my hopes up about Gronk's big announcement tomorrow but you can bet I'll be tuned in. It's at 2pm Irish time.

Another win lead by the D.
    Drop by edelman uncharacteristic. I did enjoy the defensive struggle and consecutive punts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Well I'm not getting my hopes up about Gronk's big announcement tomorrow but you can bet I'll be tuned in. It's at 2pm Irish time.

some dancing with the stars BS or reality show id wager

A party in Florida.

I loved his selling point that the VIP guests (which I'm assuming is Gronk and his brothers) will be onstage interacting with the guests by giving them high fives.

If you weren't sold before that...

Isaiah Wynn has been activated off IR.

Dear Marshall Newhouse...

tumblr_inline_mtohwwKwJT1qmp0uk.gif

Let's hope Wynn can stay healthy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This is gonna be worse than last week for offensive production isn't it.

Lining up to be a puntfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Best offensive drive so far ends in a missed field goal. Typical.

Best offensive drive so far ends in a missed field goal. Typical.
    Rinse and repeat

Bailey punts the ball 28yds........

That one drop aside, Meyers is looking good

Christ, a screen pass on 3rd&14
    Atleast the field goal was good.

• Advertisement

Another tough watch like last week. Weather didnt help.
    Defense still huge, some bright sparks from Harry and Meyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Tom for the second year running (in the regular season) looks like a man in his forties. Hoping he can perform as always in the playoffs but that is going to come to an end sooner rather than later, and I'm not very optimistic about our chances this season. 1 of the positives is the overall weakness of the AFC; it's shaping up like we'll get a handy divisional game but the Ravens scare me. I'd fancy us against anyone else, due to our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Tom for the second year running (in the regular season) looks like a man in his forties. Hoping he can perform as always in the playoffs but that is going to come to an end sooner rather than later, and I'm not very optimistic about our chances this season. 1 of the positives is the overall weakness of the AFC; it's shaping up like we'll get a handy divisional game but the Ravens scare me. I'd fancy us against anyone else, due to our defence.

I actually thought he looked much better this evening. Starting to take a little more time. Don't think it's a coincidence he peaks in Jan. At 40 you can't get hit too often. Hard fought tonight, but the D showcased again. A Ravens rematch in Foxborough could be a close run thing for sure but Bill has had a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

I wasn't worried about Tom at all last night actually, he looked pretty good in some horrible conditions. That ball down the middle that Myers dropped was Perfect. Sanu and Dorsett back next week and I think he will put up decent numbers.

Agreed, I though Tom looked better last night than he has looked in a while.
    He took more time in the pocket, moved around more and looked a lot more composed.
    Amazing what difference a competent LT will make for a QB.

The only real issues I had with last nights O was a lack of open receivers and too many drops when they were open.
    Sanu & Dorsett coming back, Harry settling in more and some drier weather conditions should make a big difference.

Edelman needs a rest, it would be great if we somehow managed to lock up the #1 seed with a couple of games left so he can get healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

that offense was a **** show last night. Will be lucky to get a bye , if not passed out by Bills at this stage.

PIORUN wrote: »
    that offense was a **** show last night. Will be lucky to get a bye , if not passed out by Bills at this stage.

No urgency, It was like they gave up with 6 minutes left and didn't expect to score but somehow did. Brady wasn't great but the wide receivers need to be so much better.

Still reckon we win out from here but I don't see the Ravens losing either.

We have to play the Chiefs and the Bills. We won't win those games if the offense is like it was last night.
    OL is not doing much for the run game, receivers not getting open and running wrong routes. A lot of problems. I'd imagine they'll have a long session in the film room after last night.

I mean thats the problem if you're throwing to a slot receiver alone. We saw it last year when there was no gronk the offense was suffering from similar issues.

The OL has gotten better since newhouse was replaced by wynn but is still not giving enough protection enough of the time.

I can't see baltimore losing so we may have to go to them for the AFC title game.
    Anyway we lost 5 games last year and won the big one. If we do this again this year it will be HOU and BAL who?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Losing the #1 seed is bad but livable but if we were to lose the 1st round bye we are fcuked.

Last year we limped into the playoffs but we came out of the bye and crushed the highly fancied Chargers. We need that bye week, i don't think we stand a chance of fixing our issues if we don't get a week off.

ELM327 wrote: »
    The OL has gotten better since newhouse was replaced by wynn but is still not giving enough protection enough of the time.

I disagree, I think Brady got plenty of time in the pocket, his receivers just aren't getting open enough.
    Texans doubled Edelman for much of the game and put a CB on White - that left all other receivers on single coverage, none of them could get open.

Hazys wrote: »
    Losing the #1 seed is bad but livable but if we were to lose the 1st round bye we are fcuked.

Last year we limped into the playoffs but we came out of the bye and crushed the highly fancied Chargers. We need that bye week, i don't think we stand a chance of fixing our issues if we don't get a week off.

Yes I agree, getting the bye week is important

BizzyC wrote: »
    I disagree, I think Brady got plenty of time in the pocket, his receivers just aren't getting open enough.
    Texans doubled Edelman for much of the game and put a CB on White - that left all other receivers on single coverage, none of them could get open.

I didnt see the full game against the Texans only the highlights online so I can't really disagree with you - my impressions were based on the highlights.

It comes back to what was said earlier though. We had this issue last year when gronk was out. Teams match up favorably against us when they can gameplan for just Edelman and no other WR steps up. Harry played relatively well last week, looks promising, as does that undrafted #16 fellow whos name escapes me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes I agree, getting the bye week is important

I didnt see the full game against the Texans only the highlights online so I can't really disagree with you - my impressions were based on the highlights.

It comes back to what was said earlier though. We had this issue last year when gronk was out. Teams match up favorably against us when they can gameplan for just Edelman and no other WR steps up. Harry played relatively well last week, looks promising, as does that undrafted #16 fellow whos name escapes me.

Jakobi Myers.

Heresy to say this, and I still have to live down the Chiefs away in 2014, but Brady should not be immune to criticism for offensive woes either. He is not playing bad, but he certainly isnt setting it alight either. It's just bad all round. Sanu hasnt done much to be a big mid season signing either. I'll write them off again at my peril, but I cant see us beating the Chiefs and then if it comes down to an AFC championship game, wont be able to beat the Ravens in Baltimore.

bruschi wrote: »
    Jakobi Myers.

Heresy to say this, and I still have to live down the Chiefs away in 2014, but Brady should not be immune to criticism for offensive woes either. He is not playing bad, but he certainly isnt setting it alight either. It's just bad all round. Sanu hasnt done much to be a big mid season signing either. I'll write them off again at my peril, but I cant see us beating the Chiefs and then if it comes down to an AFC championship game, wont be able to beat the Ravens in Baltimore.

Brady has not been amazing but he's 42 and shouldnt be expected to be throwing it up all day either. He's a coach on the field, like manning became in his later years. If the other 10 offensive players aren't getting it done you have the goat with no one to throw to! Brady isnt immune from criticism but he's gotten so much "its the end of TB" critics in the past few years that no one bothers anymore. If his level of play falls off a cliff then criticise away but we're no where near that.

Sanu has been at nothing. We need a replacement for Gronk and we don't have it. I thought Brown would have been it but he lasted one game (!)

The real issue with the receivers is that the Pats run a tonne of option routes and right now Julian and White are the only ones making the correct reads and getting separation.

Harry has been a bit disappointing IMO, on that pick for example he just gave up on the route. No one should be allowing a DB to get across their face on a quick slant.
    When Brady released the ball he was in a position to compete for it, by the time it arrived the DB was in front and Harry had given up on the route.
    That's not him being a rookie, unfamiliar with the playbook etc, he failed to run a basic route properly and it lead to a pick and points for the Texans.

Meyers shows promise, for him I think it really is just the settling in/playbook side of him being a rookie holding him back.

I still have this feeling they are up to something. We've seen very little of James White this season until late in the Texans game.
    The offensive line haven't been able to open holes for the run game and I don't understand how this suddenly happens.
    Sanu has to be given the benefit of the doubt as he is only in the door. I'm a bit disappointed in Harry so far as he should know the playbook inside and out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TimeOutguy

The way our offense is playing and the way the Bills are playing I could see the Bills finsih 1st in the AFC East.

Our WRs and Brady are the problem. They are not doing their jobs and Brady like always doesn't trust them to throw to them. Even Dorsett looked all over the shop on Sunday. Myers has bags of talent but he just looks a shade behind on some of his routes. Harry has very little playing time and looks like a rookie like we should expect. Sanu has yet to pick it up. The lack experience is killing us and killing Brady.

BUT Brady does need to get over the hump and find his inner Tom Brady again. HE has gotten away with very little talent at times over the years and made it work. They all need to get their heads out of their rear ends and get the job done.

They have been just cruising through this season, but now its very different.
    You have to think there's now a totally different mindset gong into these final games. Losing 1st seed and just a win ahead of the Bills, first time the team has their back to the walls.

Optimistically looking to last season where they were once again mediocre to good all season only to magically pull a hugely effective run game out of their a**ses in the playoffs.

• Advertisement

The Bills are very capable of beating the Ravens this weekend.

Advertisement