Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edision™ OS NINO PRO S2X + T2/C

Options
  • 11-11-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I bought a new LG TV but unfortunately the terrestrial and satellite tv channels are not easily accessible as a combined unit. So now I had to reinstall my Amiko Alien 2+ which to be honest has been a bit troublesome over the past 2 years. It runs Enigma 2 OpenATV 6.0. Occasionally it locks up and needs a good ol' reboot. While I am familiar with linux and I have reinstalled the openatv6.0 image a few times it is just a pain and I am thinking of upgrading to a more modern unit like the Edision™ OS NINO PRO S2X + T2/C.

Question is - is it likely to be more stable?
    Also are there any good reference websites to educate myself about things that can be configured on the box - picons, autobouquets etc etc? I never really fully got my head around all the technical terms and options with Enigma2 but I know I can if I spend the time. I don't really like forum posts that say here download this image with all these features which I created myself - it seems a bit all over the places and prone to problems.

Maybe I am better off going to a simple box like the Edision Piccollino and putting up with its own quirks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The Nino only has 1 sat tuner so you would not be able to record 1 channel while watching another. The AA2 was an under powered box with hacked software to match its hardware. Newer boxes are far more powerful and reliable. The raw images such as openATV 6.3 are a good starting point if you want to fully configure the box to your own preferences. The initial install has a wizard to get you up and running with a basic setup. Extra functions (plugins) can be added later.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

if your new lg is a 2018 or 2019 model then changing from terrestrial to satellite couldn't be more simpler. hold down button number 1 and set quick access to rte then change to bbc on satellite and hold down button number 2 and set quick access to bbc. Is it a freesat tv? then you should have installed it as location UK to get proper freesat epg and then edit/change the channel numbers for the saorview channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have an OS Nino in the kitchen and a Tiviar Alpha in the living room setup identically, same Openatv version (6.3), same channel layout, same skin. The difference is the Nino only has a single satellite tuner and no internal storage but I don't record on the Nino and use a usb key for EPG and picons. I have the recording drive of the Tiviar mounted on the Nino so I can watch what it records in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have an OS Nino in the kitchen and a Tiviar Alpha in the living room setup identically, same Openatv version (6.3), same channel layout, same skin. The difference is the Nino only has a single satellite tuner and no internal storage but I don't record on the Nino and use a usb key for EPG and picons. I have the recording drive of the Tiviar mounted on the Nino so I can watch what it records in the kitchen

Is it possible in this configuration, to use the single tuner in the Nino to record something to the drive in the Tiviar?
    I would think it should as the drive is mounted in the Nino.

Just wondering if you had tried ...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Is it possible in this configuration, to use the single tuner in the Nino to record something to the drive in the Tiviar?
    I would think it should as the drive is mounted in the Nino.

Just wondering if you had tried ...... ;)

Yeah it's possible, just change the recording path. It's just a Linux NFS network mount. You can even do all recordings on a NAS without any local storage as long as you mount it -rw,

I've just not bothered as we don't use it much. I also very rarely record terrestrial channels so don't need an extra terrestrial tuner on the Tiviar I use for recording

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I ended up buying the Edision OS Nino Pro and and am very happy with it. Upgraded it to openatv6.3. It's nice and responsive to use, much better than the Amiko alien 2+. Only niggle i noticed is that when recording to hdd while watching rte1HD is it stutters and struggles to be smooth playing and recording at the same time.
    Any tips??

Advertisement