Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden syrup Jam

Options
  • 18-10-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi, can I use golden syrup to make Jam? Can't find any recipes online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Spencerfreeman

Just bumping this, not wishing to be impatient but I've already peeled the apples!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never heard of it - usually you use fruit and sugar.

You could throw the apples, peel and cores all into a big pot with water and cook until soft, then strain overnight through muslin (I often use a clean cotton shopping bag). Then measure the liquid tomorrow, add sugar and boil to make jelly rather than jam.

Mod note: I've moved this into the main Food forum.

I usually would but I've none in the press. I do however have a giant tin of golden syrup.
    Obviously 'nul point' for me for not checking on the sugar situation first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^I've edited my post above to say that you could make jelly - that way you wouldn't need sugar until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say you could, I would think it would have a nice taste. You need about 75% syrup to sugar apparently, and remember you will have a bit more liquid, though with apples (are you making apple jam?) its not difficult to set it anyway. Apple jam is yummy.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I'd say you could, I would think it would have a nice taste. You need about 75% syrup to sugar apparently, and remember you will have a bit more liquid, though with apples (are you making apple jam?) its not difficult to set it anyway. Apple jam is yummy.
    I'm trying to make blackberry jam, using the apples for the pectin.
    Was wondering about the amount of syrup to use, thanks.

That's really good to know, I usually have a huge tin of golden syrup in the cupboard.

That's really good to know, I usually have a huge tin of golden syrup in the cupboard.

Its just my opinion, I can't see why you wouldn't use it but I haven't tried it myself.

Just worried now that as I haven't made jam in years if it goes wrong I won't be sure why.
    Hey ho, off to the kitchen I go. Thank you.

Just don't put syrup into a dry pan over the heat! And stir, stir, stir.

• Advertisement

Just don't put syrup into a dry pan over the heat! And stir, stir, stir.
    Thank you, will stir like billiyo.

This is the recipe I'm kinda following, any last minute suggestions would be very welcome.

Instructions
    Put the water and apple chunks in a preserving pan (or similar) and simmer gently until soft (about 5 mins).

Add the blackberries, bring to the boil and simmer until soft (about 15 – 20 mins).
    Add the sugar off the heat stirring to dissolve the crystals.
    Heat the pan gently to ensure all the sugar dissolves, then boil rapidly for 10 mins stirring regularly.
    Take off the heat and test a large drop of jam on a chilled saucer and if it crinkles after a couple of mins it’s ready.
    If not boil for another 2 mins and repeat test until ready.
    Remove excess scum with a slotted spoon and then stir in the butter to remove the rest.

My top tip? Wear an oven glove when stirring! OW!
    So I boiled it until I could hear it sticking, hopefully meaning the water is boiled off. Now to stir in a bit of butter as per 10g suggested in recipe. Why would this be a thing?

Turned out fine, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My top tip? Wear an oven glove when stirring! OW!
    So I boiled it until I could hear it sticking, hopefully meaning the water is boiled off. Now to stir in a bit of butter as per 10g suggested in recipe. Why would this be a thing?

To dissolve any scum that might be present - the alternative would be to skim it, but this can be quite wasteful and time-consuming. Stirring in a little butter does a great job of dispersing/dissolving it instead.

dee_mc wrote: »
    To dissolve any scum that might be present - the alternative would be to skim it, but this can be quite wasteful and time-consuming. Stirring in a little butter does a great job of dispersing/dissolving it instead.
    Ah, ok. Anyway I'm not sure that I got it right, in the fridge now but still seems a little runny. Tastes nice but slightly burntish.

The syrup will give a very slightly caramel flavour.

The syrup will give a very slightly caramel flavour.

It certainly does but also a very slight burnt taste. I took the boiling a bit too far.
    It also hasn't set properly it's more of a thick compote.
    I don't know if it's because of the syrup or me making a balls of it.
    Anyway my rescue plan involves Rugby and vodka. I'm going to lob some frozen vodka in and try it as a mixer. What can go wrong with that?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I made blackberry jam with no sugar or added pectin. Two chinese takeaway containers full of blackberries, half a grated apple, a teaspoon of honey, a squeeze of lemon juice. It came out great, everyone loved it. Lots of seeds. Boiled it for about an hour. Might have put a little apple juice in it too; don't remember.

I made blackberry jam with no sugar or added pectin. Two chinese takeaway containers full of blackberries, half a grated apple, a teaspoon of honey, a squeeze of lemon juice. It came out great, everyone loved it. Lots of seeds. Boiled it for about an hour. Might have put a little apple juice in it too; don't remember.
    Interesting, might try another batch without sugar then. The blackberrys are very ripe and sweet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement