Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible spray repair job.. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

seriously what do you expect for €200 it is obvious it was amateur hour good luck in the small claims

Well nobody could have expected that anyway for any kind of business doing bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

seriously what do you expect for €200 it is obvious it was amateur hour good luck in the small claims

Eleven years you've been waiting for your perfect opportunity to contribute a post and you still made a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,667 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone else think of Monkey Jesus when they see the car pics?

QMnM0N1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's not that the repair wasn't satisfactory, he's caused far more than €200 damage to the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Alkers wrote: »
    It's not that the repair wasn't satisfactory, he's caused far more than €200 damage to the car!

Indeed, ask yourself what would you prefer, someone to key your car, or someone to do that class of repair. Most people would prefer the keying!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mloc123 wrote: »
    The worst part is.... That mark would have buffed out IMO

yep are as close as wouldnt have made any difference

thats as bad a job as ive seen.

never get paint work done unless you have a reference.

Best places i have found are
    Gerry Maguire D2
    Sorohans
    Car craft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That mark was hardly even noticeable. You shouldn't have done anything with it, just left it.
    Look at the state if it now, it is all over the place.

Scratches happen. Now with that paint wack job you'll not be able to sell the car cos everyone will think it must have been crashed or something.

...........Now with that paint wack job you'll not be able to sell the car cos everyone will think it must have been crashed or something.

Well they've a library of pics that catalogues the events so potential buyers can be reassured the paint wasn't due to a crash.

The wack paint job is being fixed by another bodyshop I think.

That mark was hardly even noticeable. You shouldn't have done anything with it, just left it.
    Look at the state if it now, it is all over the place.

Scratches happen. Now with that paint wack job you'll not be able to sell the car cos everyone will think it must have been crashed or something.

I dunno, <snip>. :o :P

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep your property, car, belongings etc. in good condition. I presume she seen the scratch, got annoyed, and flew into the nearest panel beater to get a quote.

Got a price of €200, figured that's not too bad at all, and went with her instinct to get it fixed. I'm not a BMW fanatic, and I've no idea what 'model' the car is, but it looks like a relatively newish car, looks immaculately kept otherwise, and as such, I can imagine she spent a fortune on it, and wants to keep it as nice as it was when she got it.

It's just a pity that the panel beater didn't just wallop a load of scratch repair stuff, and machine polish over it. Would probably have made it invisible for a long time. But she got unlucky and yer man obviously made a mess of it (we're told the business is long established, so presumably the chap that did this is new there or an apprentice or something).

It's incredibly annoying, but on the bright side, at least the Garage made attempts to fix it (even if they did just make it worse) and gave a refund when they realised it wasn't going their way. I'm sure they're as annoyed as Amie about the whole thing.

I look forward to hearing how the other spray shop get on with it. Hopefully it'll come back looking good as new. Though I can imagine the entire process, even if it is sorted ultimately, was a pain in the ass to deal with.

With regards future buyers, assuming the paint job looks good when it's finished, i can't imagine anyone ever even suggesting it was crashed or damaged. Why would they bring that up? Her car looks newish, so presumably expensive, and anyone buying it would either do a motorcheck (which will show it hasn't been written off) or get a mechanic to look it over (and he won't find a bent chassis or anything that would signify crashed) so I doubt that'll ever appear on her radar in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, that looks awful. It looks like a bad photoshop.
    I learned my lesson with a dodgy "mechanic" whose charged me €500 but ended up costing me my car that was worth €6k.
    Whether work on car or house.. get recommendations from someone who actually got work done & where you get to see the results . Any of those people who tell you "I've a mate who does repairs" or "my brother does some building work".. even good facebook or google reviews cannot be trusted.

FatherTed2.jpg

OP, when you have the car repaired I would claim the cost of the proper repair from the guy via the small claims court:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I’d probably go back and get them to do the rest of the car.

Looks half finished having a **** paint job on the one panel, far better to have it **** all over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

By pure coincidence I had the same problem the last 2 weeks.

€200 repair job on a 6 year old car.
    Scuff to rear door down at wheel arch.

When i picked up the car it was covered in wax and i could see nothing.
    Washed it that night and it was obvious that his repair job was a different colour or at least had a haze to it.

Here's where our story differs.
    Rang him and he actually cancelled another customer to rectify straight away.

Got the car back and it's perfect.
    He was delighted it was sorted as very concerned that he had wrong colour.

This thread had me petrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I’d probably go back and get them to do the rest of the car.

I wouldn't. I'd be looking at undoing what they've done and getting somebody else to finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A small scuff or scratch is better left alone in my opinion or just touched up. You are taking a gamble with crash repair places painting a lot of the car. The cleanliness and quality control in a panel beaters shop will never be anywhere near that achieved in the car factory. The paint might look fine at the beginning, but you don't know whether they did adequate surface prep, cleaning or whether the materials they used were of good quality or if the environment where they did the painting was right. You are taking a big gamble for the sake of a small scratch. Plus they will more than likely be having pimple faced apprentices working on your car who are more interested in their snapchat rather than doing a good job.

if I had a good car I would only go to a panel beaters for a paint job if there was significant damage that was very obvious. then it would be justifiable. For just small dings and scratches, they are just normal wear and tear. And nobody will notice them anyway. And they will usually be covered by a layer of dirt anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

we're told the business is long established, so presumably the chap that did this is new there or an apprentice or something
    With the amount of shîte paint repair jobs I've seen out there, I wouldn't presume anything.

Similarly: Cars covered in awful swirl marks, clearly from some "detailer" who hasn't a notion of how to use a machine polisher.

Some people either find such work acceptable, they don't care, or they don't know what's good.

A small scuff or scratch is better left alone in my opinion or just touched up. You are taking a gamble with crash repair places painting a lot of the car. The cleanliness and quality control in a panel beaters shop will never be anywhere near that achieved in the car factory. The paint might look fine at the beginning, but you don't know whether they did adequate surface prep, cleaning or whether the materials they used were of good quality or if the environment where they did the painting was right. You are taking a big gamble for the sake of a small scratch. Plus they will more than likely be having pimple faced apprentices working on your car who are more interested in their snapchat rather than doing a good job.

if I had a good car I would only go to a panel beaters for a paint job if there was significant damage that was very obvious. then it would be justifiable. For just small dings and scratches, they are just normal wear and tear. And nobody will notice them anyway. And they will usually be covered by a layer of dirt anyhow.

I disagree
    Can't be looking at dings and scratches.
    Drive me nuts

By pure coincidence I had the same problem the last 2 weeks.

€200 repair job on a 6 year old car.
    Scuff to rear door down at wheel arch.

When i picked up the car it was covered in wax and i could see nothing.
    Washed it that night and it was obvious that his repair job was a different colour or at least had a haze to it.

Here's where our story differs.
    Rang him and he actually cancelled another customer to rectify straight away.

Got the car back and it's perfect.
    He was delighted it was sorted as very concerned that he had wrong colour.

This thread had me petrified.

Same place?

Alkers wrote: »
    Same place?

Nah. OP in dublin. This was down in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 21 am!e

Thanks for all replies here guys :)

Just wanted to update that my car is looking brand new again thanks to the lads in DC Auto Body Repair, near the Longmile Road for looking after it for me, cannot recommend them highly enough for how well it's looking i'm delighted :)

They couldn't believe how bad of a state the other guy left it in, he had even sprayed over my reverse sensor! But they put it all right for me, even sent a video while the car was in with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 am!e

Just wanted to update that my car is looking brand new again thanks to the lads in DC Auto Body Repair, near the Longmile Road for looking after it for me, cannot recommend them highly enough for how well it's looking i'm delighted :)

They couldn't believe how bad of a state the other guy left it in, he had even sprayed over my reverse sensor! But they put it all right for me, cleaned up all the overspray from the bad job that was on places it shouldn't have been and even sent a video and photos while the car was in with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

am!e wrote: »

They couldn't believe how bad of a state the other guy left it in, he had even sprayed over my reverse sensor! But they put it all right for me, cleaned up all the overspray from the bad job that was on places it shouldn't have been and even sent a video and photos while the car was in with them :)

That is a proper repair, what was the cost OP? Would love to the invoice for that work.

How much of the car they have to spray after the first genius??.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

am!e wrote: »

That looks like a properly professional job, fair play to them.

When you say that the other guy sprayed over your reverse sensor, I think you mean your reflectors. The reverse sensors are the little dots across the bumper and they are supposed to match the paint. The reflectors are at the bottom of the bumper and yes, they are white in that pic when they should be red.

Would I not be right in saying that the sill under the doors needed to be painted too? It's completely masked up in those pics.