Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a part time job in college

Options
  • 20-10-2019 12:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭

I'm currently looking for some part time work in college but I don't know where to start. I've handed cvs into a number of shops locally to no avail and done a number of online applications to which only one place actually gave me an interview which was unsuccessful. Thing is I have absolutely no experience of actually working a proper job bar ty work experience which I wouldn't really call proper work it feels like nearly everywhere is reluctant to hire someone who has no experience even if only part time.

Most of my friends work but they all got their jobs through contacts thing is I don't really have any contacts that could get me a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Try your local butcher, its approaching their busy season and they could be looking for additional help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Check with your college HR/employment office. Faculty doing research may need assistance too. Check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Retail is your best option.
    So many people started out working in retail. Myself included. Hands up who's first job was Dunnes stores here? :pac:

But the advantages of applying for retail jobs are that: they often hire people with no experience and you can see what companies to apply for. In other words if i was to ask you to list 20 shops you could apply for right now you could do so easily. Ask you for 20 general operative jobs in warehouses yoy couldn't. I couldn't tell you any warehouse jobs going right now! Who you know as stated.

Blow yourself up too. You can't say how you worked in Tesco before but you can say how you helped out with, I dunno, local charities OUTSIDE tesco collecting money with your high-vis on and bucket. Collecting for the local church's new roof. Helping the homeless. Be creative.

Joker2019 wrote: »
    I've handed cvs into a number of shops locally to no avail

How did you decide where to do that can I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah Tesco was where I got my first part-time/holiday job and no experience was required. It was basic stuff like tidying and cleaning shelves, putting back items that were strewn around, helping old people bring out their trollies or helping to bag shopping when people were buying large quantities of goods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Your best bet is hotels. Try their banquets dept, it's easier to learn as wedding meals have less options, you serve the entire room course by course and the events are generally on weekends.

Retail can actually be tough as shops want you durin the day during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The likes of Smyths and Argos usually start looking for temporary Christmas staff around now. I know it's only short-term, but could be very useful for gaining experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

And glass collecting/washing-up are good entry level tasks to get into bars/restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Hotel is your best bet, as stated above - I worked in one all through college and it was ideal.
    Decent hours for a college student - mostly weekend functions while you will fed on your shifts & some tips so both will help you out financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Try the docks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Your Face wrote: »
    Try the docks.

"I've seen things that I know are so wrong. Now how can I go back to school and keep my mind on... on things that are just in books, that—that—that aren't people living?"

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Yeah Tesco was where I got my first part-time/holiday job and no experience was required. It was basic stuff like tidying and cleaning shelves, putting back items that were strewn around, helping old people bring out their trollies or helping to bag shopping when people were buying large quantities of goods.
    Not to mention meeting lots of East European dollies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Most people's first jobs where one of the following, retail, hotel/bar work or fast food place. Unless you know someone to get you in somewhere then you need to get yourself out there a little. Just dropping in CVs doesn't work now. You need to try and talk to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Takeaway delivery driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most of my friends work but they all got their jobs through contacts thing is I don't really have any contacts that could get me a job.

If you have friends who are working then they are your contacts! Ask them to tell you when their workplace is hiring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Retail is your best option.
    So many people started out working in retail. Myself included. Hands up who's first job was Dunnes stores here? :pac:

But the advantages of applying for retail jobs are that: they often hire people with no experience and you can see what companies to apply for. In other words if i was to ask you to list 20 shops you could apply for right now you could do so easily. Ask you for 20 general operative jobs in warehouses yoy couldn't. I couldn't tell you any warehouse jobs going right now! Who you know as stated.

Blow yourself up too. You can't say how you worked in Tesco before but you can say how you helped out with, I dunno, local charities OUTSIDE tesco collecting money with your high-vis on and bucket. Collecting for the local church's new roof. Helping the homeless. Be creative.

Yes I have applied to number of large retailers but no luck. Only gotten one interview so far a few months back for retail job and they didn't even respond to say to acknowledge that I obviously didn't get the job. It seemed most others applying had work experience and wanted better pay/hours etc. in this place. The online applications for these places don't seem much use to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I'm in the same position as yourself, I started into a new college and my work contract finished up at the end of the summer so I was out of luck.

I've been applying left, right and center, every sort of thing on indeed.com that looks vaguely like something I could do, I've applied.

I applied for a store room work at a well known shop, I got an email from indeed a week later telling me they have had 113 applicants for 1 job..

I've got an interview for xmas work (Now until early January) tomorrow, it's in retail.

Best of luck, just keep applying.
    You could get lucky like my brother and get hired the very next day in the third shop he walked into or you could get awful lucky like my sister who didn't even have to ask and got offered a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Takeaway delivery driver?

his insurance is the problem:D:rolleyes:

Plenty of free lance work at the moment tidying gardens that are full of fallen leaves and clearing driveways that are covered in weeds. All you need is a good brush, hoe, rake and heavdy gardening plastic bags. The wives want it done, hubby wont bother his hole.
    It would mean a bit of caling door to door but after doing a few you will find yourself getting calls from friends and relatives of previous customer.
    Work out a price for the job in your head but you should be aiming at 18 to 20 euro per hour. You dont tell the punter that. Just give them the price for the job. If you offer to get rid of the waste stick on another tenner.

If you got to like it you could work away through college at it. Then later on it will look good on the c.v. " I operated a gardening service throughout my college years. It gave me experience of customer relations, pricing, work scheduling"

No doubt some of the " world owes me a living" crew will find a reason to say it wouldnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Seasonal staff in retail.
    Everyone should work retail once in their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Edgware wrote: »
    Plenty of free lance work at the moment tidying gardens that are full of fallen leaves and clearing driveways that are covered in weeds. All you need is a good brush, hoe, rake and heavdy gardening plastic bags. The wives want it done, hubby wont bother his hole.
    It would mean a bit of caling door to door but after doing a few you will find yourself getting calls from friends and relatives of previous customer.
    Work out a price for the job in your head but you should be aiming at 18 to 20 euro per hour. You dont tell the punter that. Just give them the price for the job. If you offer to get rid of the waste stick on another tenner.

If you got to like it you could work away through college at it. Then later on it will look good on the c.v. " I operated a gardening service throughout my college years. It gave me experience of customer relations, pricing, work scheduling"

No doubt some of the " world owes me a living" crew will find a reason to say it wouldn't work.

I would be reluctant to employ someone who called ot the door like that and i guarantee elderly people would be suspicious, however I would be impressed with their initiative and put them in the way of getting a job with anyone or contacts or people I know.

Depends where you live as op, but just keep at it ask everybody you meet or know if they know of a job, join an agency that supply tempory workers, take anything even if its only for a day, you will get a job of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Yes I have applied to number of large retailers but no luck. Only gotten one interview so far a few months back for retail job and they didn't even respond to say to acknowledge that I obviously didn't get the job. It seemed most others applying had work experience and wanted better pay/hours etc. in this place. The online applications for these places don't seem much use to me anyway.
    I once applied for a job in Pennys and got a call back 3 years after I handed in my CV :D. Point being, don't just assume you're never going to hear from them after a week or two of no contact,

Loads of places will be starting to look for seasonal workers right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mariaalice wrote: »
    Depends where you live as op, but just keep at it ask everybody you meet or know if they know of a job, join an agency that supply tempory workers, take anything even if its only for a day, you will get a job of some sort.

240px-Yosser_hughes.JPG

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You could work as a single Russian and be in someones area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Have you considered those " **** into a jar " jobs or " giving blood " only if they give free guinness and jammie dodgers though.

mariaalice wrote: »
    I would be reluctant to employ someone who called ot the door like that and i guarantee elderly people would be suspicious, however I would be impressed with their initiative and put them in the way of getting a job with anyone or contacts or people I know.

Ideally start local where you and your family are known and if you do a good job word of mouth will get you more. There are a lot of chancers around so it would be better to steer clear of elderly peoples homes unless a family member takes you on to do the work

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you considered those " **** into a jar " jobs or " giving blood " only if they give free guinness and jammie dodgers though.

Don't do both jobs simultaneously

El Weirdo wrote: »
    240px-Yosser_hughes.JPG

It's not a depressed 1980s Liverpool there is almost full employment in Ireland, yes it's more difficult in some areas that others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement