Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sensory issues

Options
  • 07-10-2018 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi guys, our eldest son whos 9 was diagnosed with high functioning autism and sensory processing disorder about 18months ago. He has sensory breaks in school and will follow his sensory diet there, but its so hard to get him to do them at home, he doesnt know he has autism but we recently told him about him having issues with sensory processing because he does refuse point blank to do his sensory activities for us. His OT called end of august and he done them fine for her and said he wud do them, and does in the morning b4 school but lately its a battle to get him to do them again for the rest of the day, we know by him that he needs to do something and he keeps saying hes fine he doesnt and if he does do them hes not enjoying it and doesnt seam to get the full benefit. He often has meltdowns and becomes aggressive towards me and one of his brothers, I dont no what to do, should I keep pressuring him to do the sensory diet r just leave it and see how it goes? During the week wen hes in school he does it in school but at the weekend or on holidays if he wont do his sensory exercises you can really notice it in him,he will often jump round the room and his voice becomes very loud,hes like hes built up frustration which turns to aggression and meltdowns, he has said that he notices they benefit him but still refuses them. Im goin to ring his OT tomro but any advice wud be much appreciated x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

could you offer a reward for doing them? it can be very difficult when they don't want to do something. I know my little man hates doing homework because he associates it with school and not home. So he gets a treat after. and lots of praise. could you give an example of the activity and maybe we could offer an alternative that might be less formal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Hello,
    Not really sure if my advice will help as my son is on the opposite end of spectrum as well as mental health issues.
    Reward system works very well for my son , but also we ask family members that would be his favourites to also help impalement Therapy's or sensery stimulation ,I find all children will do for others a lot easier,than for parents ,as children are always lookig to push the boundaries with there parents.
    Maybe try looking into getting/asking trainee therapist's or s.n.a to work with him.
    Good work experience for one.
    And will help routine for your son especially weekend midterm breaks ect

Advertisement