Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 17:29   #31
Spook_ie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardman View Post
Hang on, I never said don't pay. So don't misquote me. I clearly said don't make off or run away. A printed receipt must be provided.
Didn't you say you wouldn't pay unless he provided a printed receipt, as has been pointed out printing the receipt is a civil offence, the refusing to pay is a criminal offence.
Spook_ie is offline  
Advertisement
07-11-2018, 19:13   #32
wizardman
Registered User
 
wizardman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
Didn't you say you wouldn't pay unless he provided a printed receipt, as has been pointed out printing the receipt is a civil offence, the refusing to pay is a criminal offence.
If they cannot provide a printed receipt they should not be working. They could be over charging you with additional passengers, luggage etc. Check the taxi regulators website or ring the carraige office.

Good luck
wizardman is offline  
07-11-2018, 21:02   #33
Mr.Frame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardman View Post
If they cannot provide a printed receipt they should not be working. They could be over charging you with additional passengers, luggage etc. Check the taxi regulators website or ring the carraige office.

Good luck
A written receipt if suffice if a printed one is unavailable perhaps due to a malfunctioning printer.
As was pointed out earlier to you, if you fail to pay you are at fault and all your grandstanding of "im not going to pay because i didnt get a printed receipt" ect wouldnt stand you.

You will be charged for non payment.

If they are over charging, you will see it on the meter , so guess what you say it to the driver in question first off , rather than an internet forum.

Not sure when you last got a taxi, but for your information, there is NO charge for luggage, there hasnt been so for years.
Mr.Frame is offline  
07-11-2018, 22:50   #34
Spook_ie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardman View Post
If they cannot provide a printed receipt they should not be working. They could be over charging you with additional passengers, luggage etc. Check the taxi regulators website or ring the carraige office.

Good luck
Correct, once they realise they have an equipment malfunction they should cease plying for hire, however, if you are the passenger in the vehicle when it happens doesn't excuse you from the obligation to pay.

You may have a valid point if the driver refuses to give you a receipt but the recourse is via a complaint to the taxi regulator not by you breaking the law by refusing to pay
Spook_ie is offline  
Thanks from:
08-11-2018, 01:02   #35
n97 mini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
The inside of a taxi wouldn't be a private setting, as mentioned earlier the only recourse would be recording the conversation but that requires a level of clear headed thinking that many people who have taken drink are incapable of.
My post was overly simple, but there are two points.
1. Racially motivated crime is a thing in this country. Calling someone something is a not a crime however. Otoh assaulting or robbing them because they're a certain race is.
2. Libel laws (which don't really apply anyway if you're calling someone the N word) do not apply unless the statement is heard by a third party. Calling someone a liar in newpaper or radio show can land you in bother. Calling the same person a liar in an taxi will not.

So, your word vs his notwithstanding, a complaint about calling someone something in a taxi is not likely to be entertained.
n97 mini is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet