Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a new kitchen installed- what about the old floor?

Options
  • 27-08-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I bought an older house and I want to get a new kitchen installed at some point next year, probably with Cash and Carry kitchens. There is old laminate flooring down in the kitchen but I would want the whole room tiled.

My question is, do kitchen places also do the floors or do they need to be done beforehand? Because if it needed to be done beforehand, the old kitchen would need to be ripped out and then I'd have no kitchen for a while. I don't know how that would work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Our kitchen place gave us a recommendation for a guy who came in a few days beforehand and did all the prep work, removing the kitchen, shutting off the gas and other bits and pieces. He removed the flooring (we had laminate so it was easy) and his tiler came in and put down the new tiles before the kitchen arrived. It meant being without a kitchen for a few days longer but it was planned so that we'd only be without a kitchen for as long as necessary. You just need to plan it so that everyone is on as tight a timetable as possible. Otherwise, if you're happy to put the flooring in after the kitchen you could just remove the old flooring. I think one of the benefits of putting the flooring in after the kitchen is that you're more likely to change the floor before you change the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

kaji wrote: »
    I bought an older house and I want to get a new kitchen installed at some point next year, probably with Cash and Carry kitchens. There is old laminate flooring down in the kitchen but I would want the whole room tiled.

My question is, do kitchen places also do the floors or do they need to be done beforehand? Because if it needed to be done beforehand, the old kitchen would need to be ripped out and then I'd have no kitchen for a while. I don't know how that would work.

When you order your kitchen you will have a few weeks before it is installed. Get floors done before new kitchen comes. They can probably give you the number of a tiler and coordinate the work. They did that for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yes i know that feeling yes went that route many years ago as pulled my old units out and removed flooring had to get flat sheets of ply on wooden floor to make it more stable .Then got it tilled and grouted and 3 days later kitchen was fitted.Bear in mind pipework might need to be altered if having dishwasher/washing machine feeds and outlets and any electrical work done before fitments.
    I was lucky as had an extension to use as had an ensuite for water and washing.I did not use the kitchen installers for my floor but possibly they could but would mean 2 visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks for all the replies, they're really helpful. It's good to hear that they usually recommend a tiler to go in first. And I'm sure I can survive without a kitchen for a week if it comes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

We’ve just been through the same thing, changed the floor beforehand and tiled wall to wall. If you do it after the kitchen is in this isn’t possible. Also in relation to Cash and Carry I would shop around a bit also as we found them to be almost 50% dearer for the kitchen we wanted and they had to put in a lot of fillers as their cabinet sizes were limited. Best of luck with the new kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Forgot to add a word of caution watch your head on the overhanging press doors as mine only open up so cant split open your head when someone else forgets to close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We’ve just been through the same thing, changed the floor beforehand and tiled wall to wall. If you do it after the kitchen is in this isn’t possible. Also in relation to Cash and Carry I would shop around a bit also as we found them to be almost 50% dearer for the kitchen we wanted and they had to put in a lot of fillers as their cabinet sizes were limited. Best of luck with the new kitchen

I found this too. Cash and carry were way more expensive than others.

Advertisement