Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumble dryer not fit to dry

Options
  • 13-08-2019 11:36pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭

I've a hoover heat pump condenser dryer this last 2 years - A++ rated. The first year we had it we didn't use it much, last year was a great summer, but this year we're having to use it much more, and my God is it ****e!

Put a small load in today at 5pm and at 10pm the 2 hour 45 minute cycle was complete. Why it ran for 5 hours on that cycle I don't know, because it certainly didn't dry the clothes. The longest cycle I can put it in for is 3 hours but I've little hope that'll make a difference.

So much for energy efficient. Those 5 hours was about 3kw of power.

Worst thing is, if I put the dryer on and head to bed or work, I'll likely arrive back to damp stinking clothes. I can't win!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

have you taken out the condenser for cleaning which is inside the bottom panel, this may be clogged up.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

have you taken out the condenser for cleaning which is inside the bottom panel, this may be clogged up.

Pulled that off the other day. It was wet, and had a decent amount of lint in it. Cleaned it out and i've what I would call a half load gone into the dryer. We'll see how long it takes, and how dry it gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Pulled that off the other day. It was wet, and had a decent amount of lint in it. Cleaned it out and i've what I would call a half load gone into the dryer. We'll see how long it takes, and how dry it gets them.

also forgot to mention that if used in a small room make sure you have ventilation because if it is recycling moist air it will take forever to dry

also forgot to mention that if used in a small room make sure you have ventilation because if it is recycling moist air it will take forever to dry

Cheers, there would be some ventilation, but thanks for the tip. Things have been a bit better since I cleaned that 2nd filter. Got a dry load on one cycle earlier, and another load just finished and didn't take 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Driers are expensive to run i found out and bought this as i had the room to use it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,373 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could be element gone, does it have a high and a low setting? If you set it on either is the result the same, this would indicate element is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

greasepalm wrote: »
    Driers are expensive to run i found out and bought this as i had the room to use it in

They're not that expensive to run.

OP, check the filters & the water bottle as well as ventilation. Damp lint in the filter as well as an incomplete seal on the water bottle will cause the dry to run longer, as another poster said, ventilation is important too.

Also, cut the load in half & it will dry much faster (means two cycles, but they'll be shorter. If the warm air has room to circulate, the clothes come out less wrinkled).

Think the cause was the damp condenser filter down the bottom. It was more than damp, it was wet.

You can see my laundry power usage below. The usage just before 5 is a wash I put on. Guess that pike is the water heating up. The 2nd block of usage is the dryer. Averaging about 550kw/h, and ran for 2 hours 20 minutes. I did not reduce the size of the load going into the dryer. Before I cleaned out the condenser that would of been 4+ hours.
    As for dryers being expensive, that probably cost me around 23cent. Getting a night rate meter in shortly, so that'll be cut in half.

9bf8e877f10bcba5d1ca807aa0ef00fa.png

FYI, all the 0 readings on that graph are just my energy monitor losing connectivity, it's not the dryer stopping or anything.

Thanks all!

Advertisement