Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

mscarroll wrote: »
    I dont know whats going on here .

Find out whats going on before you leap to this guys defense, there are a lot of holes in his story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Moneytalks wrote: »
    700 rent for a council house and you say im full of ****

OK so, lets see...
    they calculate it as 10 percent of your money so it would mean you earn 7000 euro

your rent (160) times ten is 1600
    So they think you earn €1600

but...
    I earn around 2,700 after taxes

Jeremy Beadle where are you? you can come out now...
    djmcr wrote: »
    Find out whats going on before you leap to this guys defense, there are a lot of holes in his story

Yeah, more holes than a golf course. The math literally doesn't add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

this is a gas thread.... i'd say there are loads of us scratching the heads and wondering wtf?
    OP by the way if you are serious.. i,ve been saving the last 7 years with a similar income to buy my first home and bank won't touch me with a 10 ft pole last 2 years now... but i'm glad as property keeps falling and i keep earning more interest!! :)
    wife is puttting pressure on to try again though.... you know yourself... how long i can get away without buying now .... who knows???:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Moneytalks

Yes and my girlfriend is a carer so her money is not taken into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mscarroll

@pete.. it was in March 2009.....

QUICK CALL THE GUARDS, SOMEONE IN A COUNCIL HOUSE WANTS TO BUY A HOUSE OF THEIR OWN.. LOL

God the guy only asked a question and has been absolutely lynched over it, I don't see any holes in the story, sounds pretty straight forward to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Its more than 20% of your earnings not 10% :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

mscarroll wrote: »
    @pete.. it was in March 2009.....

QUICK CALL THE GUARDS, SOMEONE IN A COUNCIL HOUSE WANTS TO BUY A HOUSE OF THEIR OWN.. LOL

God the guy only asked a question and has been absolutely lynched over it, I don't see any holes in the story, sounds pretty straight forward to me!

The guy is being subsidised by everyone else to live and has a perfectly decent salary (and so doesn't need the subsidy) it appears. Then he says he's going to use the money that he should be paying for rent on his house (that instead the council, which means you and me are paying) to buy a holiday home. That's why people are pissed.

2009 Differential Rent Scheme - Summary of main changes
    10% of household income + 1 euro
    A new allowance of 100 euro for persons over 65
    Allowance for each child dependant increased from 3 to 5 euro

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The guy is being subsidised by everyone else to live and has a perfectly decent salary (and so doesn't need the subsidy) it appears. Then he says he's going to use the money that he should be paying for rent on his house (that instead the council, which means you and me are paying) to buy a holiday home. That's why people are pissed.

Subsidized how ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

You should maybe look at buying a villa in Spain op. Would be nice for you to get away from the cold winters here. And you could also let it out a bit. Maybe Alicante. There's plenty on the market at the moment going cheap. Lot of Irish taxi drivers and labourers bought 2 or 3 of them and are trying to offload.

And the worlds gone f(kin mad.

Subsidized how ?

You earn enough to rent. You are paying nominal rent in a council house, you should be paying more. The council is paying for your house. You should be paying for your house.

The money that you are saving because you are living at the council's expense (and thus everyone elses) is money you want to put towards a holiday home.

Is there anything hard to understand about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭volvilla

comment below...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭volvilla

D3PO wrote: »
    and this is exactly why this country is in the SH*TTER you have a council house if you have the means to buy a house on your own then you shouldnt be leeching off the state.

how about you post your name and address on here and I will have a little chat with you local council and see what they make of your plans.

your a disgrace

You're the disgrace! Guy comes on here seeking advice and you jump to conclusions about his livelihood and trying to get others to join you. Its people like you that boards could do without!

OP, Best of luck with the holiday home or whatever you decide to do with you and your family's hard earned savings!

volvilla wrote: »
    You're the disgrace! Guy comes on here seeking advice and you jump to conclusions about his livelihood and trying to get others to join you. Its people like you that boards could do without!

OP, Best of luck with the holiday home or whatever you decide to do with you and your family's hard earned savings!

They're not hard earned savings, sadly. They're savings he got because someone else is paying his rent.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    You earn enough to rent. You are paying nominal rent in a council house, you should be paying more. The council is paying for your house. You should be paying for your house.

The money that you are saving because you are living at the council's expense (and thus everyone elses) is money you want to put towards a holiday home.

Is there anything hard to understand about this?

yes its hard to understand we waited 3 years for our house and pay the rent that is asked of us since we were assessed so in you view i should give my house back and rent someone elses house great advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

If I could pay €160 monthly I would without question. Unfortunately I'm stuck paying € 750.

yes its hard to understand we waited 3 years for our house and pay the rent that is asked of us since we were assessed so in you view i should give my house back and rent someone elses house great advice

I think if you can afford to pay rent which you obviously can, you should, rather than buying a holiday home. If you're not paying a fair rent, then yeah, I don't think you're stupid, but I do think you're taking money from people who either (a) Earned it or (b) Need it more than you do. Which makes you worse than stupid.

I'd just like to point out that the OP is perfectly entitled to local authority housing, as are most people earning under a certain amount. It's not his fault that other people are happy paying ridiculous rent prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It's not his fault that other people are happy paying ridiculous rent prices.

And I would just like to point out that rent allowance (and it's abuse) creates an artifical floor which means that our house prices are over and above what they could be as it sets a minimum price to a landlord
    I'd just like to point out that the OP is perfectly entitled to local authority housing,

I'm sure that the council would disagree that someone on €33k a year AFTER tax is perfectly entitled to have their rent subsidised by the taxpayer

• Advertisement

And I would just like to point out that rent allowance (and it's abuse) creates an artifical floor which means that our house prices are over and above what they could be as it sets a minimum price to a landlord

Again, not the OP's fault.
    I'm sure that the council would disagree that someone on €33k a year AFTER tax is perfectly entitled to have their rent subsidised by the taxpayer

That depends on where the OP lives, the following word document only shows single person and a large family, I'd imagine the OP falls in between there somewhere, he meets the criteria in most of the larger cities...

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,25826,en.DOC

Again, not the OP's fault.

That depends on where the OP lives, the following word document only shows single person and a large family, I'd imagine the OP falls in between there somewhere, he meets the criteria in most of the larger cities...

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,25826,en.DOC

Jaysus I meet that criteria. Better get down to my local housing office

*legsit from desk*

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

WTF, does that document mean that anyone in Dublin earning less than €35K is entitled to social housing or some form of welfare supplement for housing/rent??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The OP is off the wall. He is living in housing provided by the state yet wants to buy a holiday home..!?!? Mate, the days where we were giving away money is gone, we have to go back to earning and saving. The bank wont touch you by the way! Besides all the other points your ability to repay at higher interest rates is in question.

On a side note I think it will take a few more years of hardship to knock peoples head together that we cannot pay for every we want right this minute. We would all love to have holiday homes but unfortunately we live in the real world.

spockety wrote: »
    WTF, does that document mean that anyone in Dublin earning less than €35K is entitled to social housing or some form of welfare supplement for housing/rent??

Pretty much...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/applying_for_local_authority_housing.html

Obviously current circumstances are taken into account, if you're currently sharing a 1 bedroom flat with 5 other people you'll obviously get a house quicker than someone living alone in a 4 bed house.

spockety wrote: »

Exactly how I read and if true I is getting my arse down to the social asap. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I am shaking my head with disbelief and disgust at this thread. I am appalled that the OP is earning so much a month (way more than I ever earned in Ireland) yet is living in a council house with his rent paid for him. That he can afford to save up money for a 'holiday home' (:eek:) while on social welfare is mind boggling. And to those who defend him saying 'it's not his fault' - what happened to personal responsibility?

I'm ashamed of people like the OP, absolute spongers.

Kimia wrote: »
    I am shaking my head with disbelief and disgust at this thread. I am appalled that the OP is earning so much a month (way more than I ever earned in Ireland) yet is living in a council house with his rent paid for him. That he can afford to save up money for a 'holiday home' (:eek:) while on social welfare is mind boggling. And to those who defend him saying 'it's not his fault' - what happened to personal responsibility?

I'm ashamed of people like the OP, absolute spongers.

What are you talking about sponging off the welfare i work and my girlfriend works are we the only people in Ireland who work and have a council house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

What are you talking about sponging off the welfare i work and my girlfriend works are we the only people in Ireland who work and have a council house.

Ok, so you haven't told us where you work but you have told us your girlfriend is paid by the taxpayer to look after your son (I know you described it differently but it is the same thing).

I was wondering if you were a public servant? Imagine that your are for a minute and look at it from the view of some of these posters. Because if that was the case, the taxpayer would be paying for your salary, your girlfriend's salary, care for your son (provided by your girlfirend) and a rental subsidy for your house. And out of all that money the taxpayer is giving you, you can save for a holiday home. Are you surprised therefore that people are a bit taken aback by your story (Even if you are working in the private sector, there is a lot of taxpayer money subsidising your household).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Surely this is a wind up

Advertisement