Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS scheme - a new low in this horrible country

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Very quickly..

Happy tenant in a house with a whopping €191k mortgage which is on interest only. She is a lovely girl who is there for 2 years on social rent scheme but keeps the place nicer than my own house. The house is a dead duck being probably worth €120k now and the stress over it is killing me.

Anyway Kilkenny Co. Co. come along and bully us into putting the girl through the RAS scheme at €50 less rent per month. With the gun to our head we go ahead and some "engineer" comes out and writes an essay on things required before they can agree the RAS.

We get all of them done at a cost of €500 and the final remaining thing is to get the "oil tank secured" meaning who knows what. I spoke to local DIY store, the site foreman and various other people and they don't know what this is about. 3 houses on the estate have been put through RAS with no "securing of oil tank" crap. They insist on it but won't tell us how it can be done - it is a made up job by some "engineer" who won't go back and say it is unnecessary.

Tenant rings and they bark at her saying the house is not fit for the RAS scheme and she now rings me to say she doesn't want to go ahead with it because of the attitute of the Kil. Co. Co.

The house is 3 yrs old and in great condition. This whole thing is pathetic meaning the tenant will probably go and we wont be able to pay the mortgage (council will have to house her while AIB (i.e. the government) will probably repossess the house from us).

I am so mad about this, it makes no sense and is completely unfuriating.

Q: what happens with tenants who wont sign RAS schemes. I hear they could still be there for 3 years even. Can we later go into the RAS if needed.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is nice to hear real life examples of how the State is supporting private landlords through rent supplement and rental accomodation schemes. Also how the local authorities are ensuring that housing standards are upheld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not a horrible low, it's giving you long term security at a negotiated rent. If you feel you are getting pushed around and out negotiated get your husband to do the talking
    Security for you and your tenant.

If you were renting for market value before, then €50 less is a great deal. For a long term contract the council should have pushed you harder.
    But it's likely rent supplement will be cut in the future and you may wish you signed up for RAS

Of course the council will check over the property
    Joe Duffy show did a piece on oil tank security so call up RTÉ and ask the researcher for the name of the company that was advertising.
    They had lots of different options

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Best to talk the person who did the survey.

Assuming it doesn't wobble or isn't likely to fall off its bearings, I presume they mean a lock on the oil tank. €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

Very quickly..

We get all of them done at a cost of €500 and the final remaining thing is to get the "oil tank secured" meaning who knows what. I spoke to local DIY store, the site foreman and various other people and they don't know what this is about. 3 houses on the estate have been put through RAS with no "securing of oil tank" crap. They insist on it but won't tell us how it can be done - it is a made up job by some "engineer" who won't go back and say it is unnecessary.

I wonder if it means putting a lock on it, so that no one can steal the oil that your tenant buys?

Victor wrote: »
    Best to talk the person who did the survey.

Assuming it doesn't wobble or isn't likely to fall off its bearings, I presume they mean a lock on the oil tank. €2.
    Sorry, didn't read your post and rushed in with mine:) typical...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

How close is the oil tank to the house? Do they want you build a wall around it? I know my parents had to do that many years ago in order to insure the house, so it could mean something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Thanks for the help.

It is not a security measure, it is "health and safety" and when we asked the Council if they could advise on how it could be done, they said they couldn't apart from one ignoramus who said we should build a shed around it - ah come on!

We asked if any other houses had it done and they said no, so in other words we are the only house in Kilkenny Co. under the RAS scheme who needs this done - what a pile of kak!

They were so rude, said to the other half that they didn't care how much it cost as that was "our problem". Basically a gang of civil servant scum who continue to rip this country apart.

Thanks for the help.

It is not a security measure, it is "health and safety" and when we asked the Council if they could advise on how it could be done, they said they couldn't apart from one ignoramus who said we should build a shed around it - ah come on!

We asked if any other houses had it done and they said no, so in other words we are the only house in Kilkenny Co. under the RAS scheme who needs this done - what a pile of kak!

They were so rude, said to the other half that they didn't care how much it cost as that was "our problem". Basically a gang of civil servant scum who continue to rip this country apart.

In that case I would by all means contact the person who requested it in the first place even if it's really hard to get his contact details, and find out exactly what he expected from you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I fear there is more to this story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

spockety wrote: »
    I fear there is more to this story.

Sherlock Holmes would be proud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

apart from one ignoramus who said we should build a shed around it - ah come on!

Why do you consider this person to be an ignoramus? They were probably exactly right about what was required. As I said my parents needed to do this with their old boiler as a requirement of their house insurance.

You really need to get in contact with the person who stipulated this requirement and ask them exactly what they meant by it. It's a pain in the ass sure, but you are doing it to get money above the market level for your property, that's basically free money. If you don't want to jump through the hoops for the free money then take your chances with the market and forego it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

health & safety could mean securing the top of the tank so no one can get into it, especially if your tenant has kids who might like to climb up on & fiddle with things. Quick google of oil tank security gets me this

http://www.tanklok.com/

and this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2068459

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

....They insist on it but won't tell us how it can be done - it is a made up job by some "engineer" who won't go back and say it is unnecessary....

Why not just tell them its done...how will they check it?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

health & safety could mean securing the top of the tank so no one can get into it, especially if your tenant has kids who might like to climb up on & fiddle with things. Quick google of oil tank security gets me this

http://www.tanklok.com/

and this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2068459

That is what I thought they would have meant. Children could open and drop in a match otherwise, a simply locking is securing the tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is what I thought they would have meant. Children could open and drop in a match otherwise, a simply locking is securing the tank

I though it was like diesel, which won't ignite with a naked flame?

http://www.ehow.com/list_6570552_advantages-oil-heat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ray Palmer wrote: »

Woah, thats some negative view of todays kids you have there...bit extreme :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

maximoose wrote: »
    Woah, thats some negative view of todays kids you have there...bit extreme :confused:

Just stupidity not intentional explosive stuff. :o

Advertisement