Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

They are not meant to be cut anymore. I’m not sure about one signature though across the photos. I’m sure the Guard knew if that was the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 acbar

My passport is just out of date. I’m Irish lived here all my life. I’m divorced since my last passport was renewed so will be looking to revert to maiden name when reapplying. I’m planning a holiday in 4 weeks time but wondering if I apply to have passport renewed in maiden name will it take too long or should I renew in married name and after holiday have it changed to maiden name, looking for any advice, thanks!
    Ps I have all documents required for name change ready to go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It'll *probably* be fine in 4 weeks but as long as it's valid then why add something to your holidays that may generate stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

For a normal renewal what exactly do the passport office do? What's the process?

Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I'm travelling to Belgium in mid September, my passport expires in February 2020. Do I need to try to renew it now or should I be okay to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I'm travelling to Belgium in mid September, my passport expires in February 2020. Do I need to try to renew it now or should I be okay to travel?

You're fine. As long as you return before it expires In February!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OSI wrote: »
    Total pain in the arse trying to get my passport because the name on my birth cert and the name I use as an adult are different. Sent them my drivers license, PSC card and existing UK passport all showing my current name yet they want me to send 2 original documents dated before 2015 addressed to me with that name.

They require proof of common usage. When I wanted to change back to my maiden name they wanted two original documents for each of the three previous years. Luckily I'd only changed my passport so all my other docs were in my maiden name anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Hi folks

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Heading on holidays September 7th. Just realised my 3 year olds passport is out of date since july. Need it renewed pronto.

I'm thinking making an appointment in the office is the quickest way now. I have everything stamped from the guards and filled in. Can I go without him or does he need to be with me?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can you renew it online?

Stheno wrote: »
    Can you renew it online?
    Yes but the number of working days it will take is longer and unfortunately time isn't on my side.

If you go in in person it is quicker. Costs more obviously but I don't mind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cruais wrote: »
    Yes but the number of working days it will take is longer and unfortunately time isn't on my side.

If you go in in person it is quicker. Costs more obviously but I don't mind

I'd a colleague renew online last Monday.
    Passport in his letterbox Thursday

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd a colleague renew online last Monday.
    Passport in his letterbox Thursday

Fantastic! I might just risk it and if no sign in time for holiday I'll ring and see. Thanks a mill for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

My wife applied for a renewal on a Monday recently. Passport delivered on the Wednesday.

Do it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I’ve had a similar experiences to the posters above. Online renewal is incredibly quick so you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

To all those posters above, the OP's renewal is for a child. It requires paperwork even if initiated online.

OP: online renewal will probably not get it to you in time.

steve-o wrote: »
    To all those posters above, the OP's renewal is for a child. It requires paperwork even if initiated online.

OP: online renewal will probably not get it to you in time.

It can be done online also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

I renewed mine online Saturday and the tracker is saying the estimated dispatch date is 5th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

CR 7 wrote: »
    I renewed mine online Saturday and the tracker is saying the estimated dispatch date is 5th September.

Renewed my wife’s late Monday evening, arrived Friday.
    Until the Wednesday evening though the tracker was also giving a date a couple of weeks later. Then the tracker refreshed to the expected ( and actual ) delivery.
    Have to say, fantastic service.

As mentioned by others though, with travel so soon and a child, that might be just too risky, passport office probably better option.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

A child's renewal isn't as straight forward as an adult renewal. A paper consent still has to be completed and posted to the relevant office.

Make an appointment at one of the passport offices. You will get an issue date for the passport. You will have it for that date. It will take all the uncertainty out of it if you do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

CR 7 wrote: »

My passport status is now printed and posted on Monday 26th after ordering on Saturday 24th. Passport card is printing as of today Wednesday 28th so might be posted today also. Tracker still shows estimated dispatch 5th September...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My passport has lapsed for more than 5 years.

I want to make a new application for a passport now but I really don't want to get the Public Services Card.The guy I spoke to in the passport office told me I didn't need the Public Services Card as its necessity for application is now under review.
    The problem is I have no valid photo ID now.

Will they accept my birth cert, proof of address, ID confirmed by Gardai for identity purposes without a photo ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LonesomeDove

Hi, my passport has expired 5 and a half years ago (March 2014) and I was told that I would have to make a request for a new passport rather than being able to make a passport renewal request. I was to travel unexpectedly in 3 weeks at the end of September but have been informed that it will take a minimum of 15 working days at least before it will be processed using Passport Express. I am in the North so was wondering if I was to book an appointment in Dublin and come with all the relevant papers would there by any chance that they could process the request and treat it as a passport renewal or is that simply not possible and my only option is that I will have to apply for a first time application and wait a minimum of 15 working days for the process to complete?? Any information is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Once a passport has expired by over 5 years to the day its a new application. Never heard of any amendments to that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

So I got my new Irish Passport a few days ago. It’s the Passport Book and there’s a big white sticker on the back cover with my Name, Date of Birth and a barcode. Does this need to stay on the Passport or can I take it off? I’m guessing it was used for keeping track of it when I ordered it, rather than actually being important for travel?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

You can take it off now Jason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Its for tracking purposes only. You can take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Great, thanks for your quick replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

jasonb wrote: »
    Great, thanks for your quick replies!

My work here is done. But you didn’t do anything ! Didn’t I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

I also have to commend the online service. Applied yesterday and got it in post today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Apologies if this had been answeeed before, I couldn’t find recent information regarding this.
    I believe that if you lose a certain amount of passports that you will then only be given a passport valid for 1 year.
    My question is, is this the case if your passport gets damaged? I travel a lot and my passport is not in great condition due to this and needing it for ID in the USA. I have lost a couple of passports but would like to get a new one as I’d be worried I couldn’t get into some countries if it is in a poor condition? Thanks

Advertisement