Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment for primary medical certificate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Horse mad

lulu1 wrote: »
    Yes just your local health center and carried out by the chief medical officer

I’m going to request an appointment now tku xx

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ballybro

Hi ,my Dad has an assessment for the Primary medical cert next week and as I will be bringing him to the appointment I/him are wondering what's involved ,what questions will he be asked ,what will he be asked to do etc.
    He is currently in a nursing home.He was diagnosed with Dementia and has associated mobility issues and can only walk a few steps with the aid of a zimmer frame and the assistance/observation of one person due to his risk/fear of falling.
    As the place he is attending for the appointment is on a main street with no outside parking and the nearest car park a good 300metre walk there is no way he will be able to walk that distance with the zimmer frame and my assistance.So I am planning on bringing the wheelchair that's in his room with him to the appointment and wheeling him into the appointment in that. Will the doctor doing the assessment think it strange If I don't bring the zimmer frame as well but I can hardly bring both.
    On his patient moving and handling plan in the nursing home it states that he needs assistance of one person when walking with the zimmer frame due to risk of falling and that any transfers off unit/other activities should be in a wheelchair.He also has a letter from the assigned GP in the nursing home that states he needs assistance/observation when walking with the zimmer frame and that he needs a wheelchair if he needs to go any distance at all.
    I know the decision is down to the doctor carrying out the assessment on the day but would these factors increase his chances of being approved.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It sounds as though you will be using the wheelchair exactly as it is intended. I cannot imagine anyone expecting you to carry a zimmer frame and manage a wheelchair at the same time. I have no experience of the primary medical certificate interview, but I cannot see how what you propose would be an issue, especially with the documented doctor's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

ballybro wrote: »
    Hi ,my Dad has an assessment for the Primary medical cert next week and as I will be bringing him to the appointment I/him are wondering what's involved ,what questions will he be asked ,what will he be asked to do etc.
    He is currently in a nursing home.He was diagnosed with Dementia and has associated mobility issues and can only walk a few steps with the aid of a zimmer frame and the assistance/observation of one person due to his risk/fear of falling.
    As the place he is attending for the appointment is on a main street with no outside parking and the nearest car park a good 300metre walk there is no way he will be able to walk that distance with the zimmer frame and my assistance.So I am planning on bringing the wheelchair that's in his room with him to the appointment and wheeling him into the appointment in that. Will the doctor doing the assessment think it strange If I don't bring the zimmer frame as well but I can hardly bring both.
    On his patient moving and handling plan in the nursing home it states that he needs assistance of one person when walking with the zimmer frame due to risk of falling and that any transfers off unit/other activities should be in a wheelchair.He also has a letter from the assigned GP in the nursing home that states he needs assistance/observation when walking with the zimmer frame and that he needs a wheelchair if he needs to go any distance at all.
    I know the decision is down to the doctor carrying out the assessment on the day but would these factors increase his chances of being approved.Thanks

The idea of the pmc is to help people with limited ability get where they want to go. The assessor wont think it strange that you take your father to his appointment in a wheelchair. But what I am wondering if your dad in in a nursing home and suffering from dementia, the assessor might say to himself does this person need a pmc. hope all goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

I was turned down for a pmc approx 5 years ago. It was at the National Rehab hospital in Dublin. I thought that everyone was referred there to go before a panel. Has that changed now?

I am applying again as my condition has worsened considerably, my GP says on a form that it is indefinite. I saw a surgeon in November who told me it would be too dangerous to operate on me again and that he wouldn't in his opinion do any more, I have had numerous surgeries both in Ireland & the U.K. each one leaving me worse off to the extent that I cannot walk further than the front door and need my wheelchair when going out anywhere.

Can I request that I be seen by the local HSE or is it automatic where you are sent to be assessed?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Sorry to hear about your worsening condition. The application form is sent to your local HSE office and they make the appointment for you in that HSE area so it should be close enough. I got lucky and the doctor came out to my house for the exam. You shouldn't have to wait more than two or three weeks for an appointment I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your worsening condition. The application form is sent to your local HSE office and they make the appointment for you in that HSE area so it should be close enough. I got lucky and the doctor came out to my house for the exam. You shouldn't have to wait more than two or three weeks for an appointment I think.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The last time, after filling in the application for PMC, I had to attend a Doctor at my local hospital with a statement, it was very intimidating tbh and I left there very upset. That Doctor sent my statement & application to the NRH and I had to go before a panel of Doctors. One of whom was very sympathetic to my condition but the other two not very forthcoming, it really is stressing me out thinking about going through it all again.

Hopefully this has changed.

Advertisement