Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessment for primary medical certificate

Options
  • 28-02-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have an assessment for a primary medical certificate on Monday and am anxious about it. What will they ask me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

I had an assesment for a primary medical cert but I'm not sure if it would be a normal assesment. I had the doctor call out to my home and he went through my disability in quite a bit of detail. He asked me how each of my limbs were affected by the illness and he asked a few questions about the progression of the disease. Questions about were I was diagnosed and which hospital I attended. There was no physical exam carried out, not sure if that is the norm. The whole thing took maybe 15 minutes and the doctor was polite and professional at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

Hi, was wondering how you guys got on with the assessment. Did you get the cert? How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

It went fine. Lovely doctor, just asked about diagnosis and prognosis. Lasted about 15 minutes. I had the assessment on a Monday had the cert by Friday.

I had mine today...like you lovely doctor...she said she is recommending I get it but can take 3 weeks? :(

Hi Sugar, sent you a private message, hope you dont mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Sugarbomb

Just replied to you cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cath_1

Cream2000 wrote: »
    I had mine today...like you lovely doctor...she said she is recommending I get it but can take 3 weeks? :(

Hi just wondering did it take 3 weeks for your cert to come. My uncle had his assessment the other day & doctor said it would take 3 weeks. T. I. A

Hi cath,

Mine took about 2 weeks after..some ppl got it quicker, guess it depends on how busy your local HSE office is.

Mine took less than a week to arrive. I saw the Dr on a Monday and the cert arrived in the post that Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fran76

mickmac76 wrote: »
    I had an assesment for a primary medical cert but I'm not sure if it would be a normal assesment. I had the doctor call out to my home and he went through my disability in quite a bit of detail. He asked me how each of my limbs were affected by the illness and he asked a few questions about the progression of the disease. Questions about were I was diagnosed and which hospital I attended. There was no physical exam carried out, not sure if that is the norm. The whole thing took maybe 15 minutes and the doctor was polite and professional at all times.

Glad you got the cert, I'm in the process of applying but afraid I'll get rejected, I've fibromyalgia, neurofibromatosis type 1, cervical spinal stenosis, degenerative discs. There are days where I can't even get out of bed, and others I'm okay to do a little, but it always come back on me the pain is unreal. Do you mind me asking what is your reason for getting the cert, pm if you need to looking forward to hearing from you.

• Advertisement

I was diagnosed with motor neuron disease in 2015. Don't have much movement left in my arms and I will have to use a wheelchair all the time pretty soon I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Fran76

mickmac76 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with motor neuron disease in 2015. Don't have much movement left in my arms and I will have to use a wheelchair all the time pretty soon I'd say.

Sorry to hear that, hoping you don't suffer to hard with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rene2211

Hi all
    My husband sent in an application the end of march, the letter for the assessment is due any day,
    My husband has a spinal cord stimulator for cervical pain, he gets unreal spasms & cluster headaches which last weeks... he has other medical problems,
    I wonder what his chances are xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Dont worry too much they seem to be pretty fair on these things............

skippy2 wrote: »
    Dont worry too much they seem to be pretty fair on these things............

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭tony melia

Hi i have been granted a primary medical cert ,but i don,t have a clue about entitlements before i get road tax and fuel allowance do i have to have a specially adapted car ,or will the one i have at the moment which is fine (automatic) do

CHEERS:confused::confused:

tony melia wrote: »
    Hi i have been granted a primary medical cert ,but i don,t have a clue about entitlements before i get road tax and fuel allowance do i have to have a specially adapted car ,or will the one i have at the moment which is fine (automatic) do

CHEERS:confused::confused:

That's great you got it were you long waiting to hear about it ?
    my husband had his appointment yesterday , car has
    To be adapted to get if automatic don't cover it

rene2211 wrote: »
    That's great you got it were you long waiting to hear about it ?
    my husband had his appointment yesterday , car has
    To be adapted to get if automatic don't cover it
    i have been told different by many people ,some say car has to be adapted other say it dosen,t
    including the dealer i purchased it from ,Really in the dark i have tried many sites but they don,t say anything definate:confused:

i have been told different by many people ,some say car has to be adapted other say it dosen,t
    including the dealer i purchased it from ,Really in the dark i have tried many sites but they don,t say anything definate:confused:

http://www.ddai.ie/images/publications/taxreliefscheme.pdf
    Tells you everything you need to know here...
    it states that Automatic transmission is not regarded as an adaptation, If you can travel in an unadapted vehicle you do not come under scope of scheme , so yes car needs to be adapted to apply ,
    Were you long awaiting an answer?

Hi Tony, sent you a PM.

• Advertisement

http://www.ddai.ie/images/publications/taxreliefscheme.pdf
    Tells you everything you need to know here...
    it states that Automatic transmission is not regarded as an adaptation, If you can travel in an unadapted vehicle you do not come under scope of scheme , so yes car needs to be adapted to apply ,
    Were you long awaiting an answer?
    only seen dr yesterday and he told me he would recommend it for me and i should hear in a week or two:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

The adaption does not have to be much as long as it is not a standard spec on the car or something that the manufacturer would supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Can someone in the know drop me a PM? Have a few questions regarding the PMC and whether or not it can be obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod:

There may be occasions when it is appropriate to ask for PMs, but in general it is better to keep discussion in the open so that if misinformation is given at least others can correct it. The information may also help other people with the same issue, and that is, of course, one of the objectives of a discussion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

looksee wrote: »
    Mod:

There may be occasions when it is appropriate to ask for PMs, but in general it is better to keep discussion in the open so that if misinformation is given at least others can correct it. The information may also help other people with the same issue, and that is, of course, one of the objectives of a discussion forum.

That's no problem.

It's in relation to a 5 year old child hence I was asking for a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i got that cert, i had been refused a few times, i kept trying, the reason i got it according to the dr was so i could change from using a trailer to move my chair around to get a wheelchair accessiable carcar

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Horse mad

Hi all
    My husband sent in an application the end of march, the letter for the assessment is due any day,
    My husband has a spinal cord stimulator for cervical pain, he gets unreal spasms & cluster headaches which last weeks... he has other medical problems,
    I wonder what his chances are xxxx

Hi Rene,
    Did you’re husband get his PMC with the SCS? I’ve been turned down for a PMC. Pre SCS but I believe I too deserve one

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

As far as I know even the little ball thing on the steering wheel is classed as an adaption. You will also get your yearly car tax paid and a percentage of your petrol/diseal costs are paid yearly

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Horse mad

lulu1 wrote: »
    As far as I know even the little ball thing on the steering wheel is classed as an adaption. You will also get your yearly car tax paid and a percentage of your petrol/diseal costs are paid yearly

It’s a very confusing system. I’ve heard of people unaided and stronger leg or arm mobility and power getting this
    But then those who need it fight and are refused. Well I’m just confused!!

Where did the assessment take place? Normal local health Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Horse mad wrote: »
    It’s a very confusing system. I’ve heard of people unaided and stronger leg or arm mobility and power getting this
    But then those who need it fight and are refused. Well I’m just confused!!

Where did the assessment take place? Normal local health Centre?

Yes just your local health center and carried out by the chief medical officer

Advertisement