Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Women have a right to be topless"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The worst thing about society these days is that the solution to this will probably be the banning of men being topless in public

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Somehow I don't think this is one of the major barriers to equality in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Reading the report it seems that she was so annoyed by sexist men asking her to "show us your ****ing tits" that she decided to do just that. Bit of a break in logic there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

So where do I sign up for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

She'd be the very woman that would make all sorts of accusations against men (not women) who looked at her breasts or walked/stood too close to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That's the funny thing. They'll get the law changed, then not one of them will want to go about topless because 'shur durty old men would only be looking'.
    :D

Well the issue is about equal rights.
    Nobody is obliged to expose anything.
    It just gives women access to the same choices which are available to men, if they so wish.

It's like women being barred from golf clubs.
    Lifting the ban does not oblige women to play golf, but gives the same options as men, which they can exercise if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If that were true, this thread most likely would not exist. :rolleyes:

I can't decide which is worse. The puritanical mindset behind those who find it offensive, the ignorant mindset of those criticising her for attention seeking, or the combined totalitarian mindset whereby what she did is wrong and should be punished by the state. So much stupidity and regressive thinking. It's almost hard to believe that this country voted for same sex marriage at times. Though it's very easy to believe that about 40% voted against it.
    In fairness this issue is a bit 80's. It's not exactly something that would improve your liberal credentials today. Unless you are hot Ukrainian activist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gatling wrote: »
    I believe it's under public decency laws

Amazingly, the law she was arrested under, according to the article, is:

"Complaints were made by members of the public at approximately 7.30pm on July 23 concerning an offence under Section 18 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1935 as amended by Section 18 of the Criminal Law (Rape)(Amendment) Act, 1990 i.e. committing public indecency."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think they should be allowed if they want, not something I would do and I would question how many would actually avail of the right. Considering we live in a society where a large number of people want breastfeeding to be done in a dingy toilet or with your baby hidden away under a blanket lest someone catch sight of a breast and take offence, I cant see this getting much support

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

"Complaints were made by members of the public at approximately 7.30pm on July 23 concerning an offence under Section 18 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1935 as amended by Section 18 of the Criminal Law (Rape)(Amendment) Act, 1990 i.e. committing public indecency."

No wonder the country is going tits up

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Discodog wrote: »
    You obviously didn't hear her being interviewed. She is very intelligent, eloquent & put her point forward very well.

Yes I agree. I heard some elderly woman on Joe Duffy trying to say she was disgusting but Carina completely exposed her without losing her cool.

Is it really an issue? I can't think of one man that would have a problem with a woman being topless.

Nor can I in my circles and family either. But that such people exist is pretty clear. One only has to read one of the many threads on public breast feeding on Boards.ie to see just how irate and aggressive people get over _that_.

And in that case breasts are just being used and barely - if at all - displayed in any way.

So if people get that worked up over _that_ then I can only imagine they will get similarly - if not worse - worked up over full on displayed breasts.

I simply can not get my head into the headspace of people who are bothered by other peoples bodies. Nor can they it seems - given any of them I have talked to on or off line can not explain their issue either. They just throw out lines like "It is just wrong - period" and leave it at that.

Or worse they project their own hang ups and issues onto children. They pretend _they_ do not have a problem with it but _oh my god_ a child somewhere might see a breast or a penis!

The sheer psychological horror of it all! They might - oh the humanity of it all - even point at something and ask "What is that?" or "What is that for?". How would parents of children in such horrific situations _cope_ I ask you.
    pablo128 wrote: »
    I must admit I wasn't comfortable with a naked child running around.

I have seen that very often in Europe. Especially Germany. And my garden and house with my own kids quite often - regardless of who is in the house. Nudity has been over-sexualised alas - with the result that people like yourself are made to feel sexually uncomfortable in it's presence - and for no good reason.
    Because men and women are different

Not sure how this "because" follows or what you are trying to say. You might as well have said "Because apples are green" for all the sense I can glean from it.
    pablo128 wrote: »
    Why would a woman wear a push up bra? To make them look fuller, to increase their attractiveness. Why would they do that if there's nothing special about womens breasts?

You appear - as the user himself also noted - to have replied to only half of what the user asked. The user asked "What's so special about a breast that it shouldn't be seen in public?" but you appear to have attempted to reply to "What's so special about a breast?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

what I disagree with is the double standards these leftist ideals create, I have to watch what I say around people as I might offend someone, yet she can go around with her chebs out, which possibly wrongly but realistically may offend people with how society is, but people potentially offended by her exposed breasts have no right to be offended? either everyone can do/say what they like and if it offends you suck it up or no one can do anything that could potentially cause offense, you cant just pick and choose to suit yourself

Depp wrote: »
    what I disagree with is the double standards these leftist ideals create, I have to watch what I say around people as I might offend someone, yet she can go around with her chebs out, which possibly wrongly but realistically may offend people with how society is, but people potentially offended by her exposed breasts have no right to be offended? either everyone can do/say what they like and if it offends you suck it up or no one can do anything that could potentially cause offense, you cant just pick and choose to suit yourself

There is no law against saying something that might offend someone. There is a law against her having her top off in public. So in the interests of not picking and choosing, which you clearly advocate, perhaps there should be no such law.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there is nothing indecent about breasts. they are part of god's wondrous creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

There is no law against saying something that might offend someone. There is a law against her having her top off in public. So in the interests of not picking and choosing, which you clearly advocate, perhaps there should be no such law.

thats not true actually you can be very easily be prosecuted at the moment for something as simple as a joke or a passing remark if it can be determined to be hatespeech which is a ridiculously vague term and completely goes against the principles of comedy, personally ive no problem with a girl taking her top off in public but realistically i dont believe its an option with society as it stands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't want to see topless men or topless women apart from at the beach or what have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

there is nothing indecent about breasts. they are part of god's wondrous creation.

Unless they are on page 3 then they have to be banned because they cause offense.

Depp wrote: »
    thats not true actually you can be very easily be prosecuted at the moment for something as simple as a joke or a passing remark if it can be determined to be hatespeech which is a ridiculously vague term and completely goes against the principles of comedy, personally ive no problem with a girl taking her top off in public but realistically i dont believe its an option with society as it stands

In a Venn Diagram of "Things you can say that might offend someone" versus "Things that a court might class as hate speech", the former would be a huge circle and the latter a full stop within it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maguined wrote: »
    Unless they are on page 3 then they have to be banned because they cause offense.

but they're usually the best ones!!!

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't want to see topless men or topless women apart from at the beach or what have you.

What one wants to see or not see should have little or nothing to do with what the laws or social norms are however. I do not want to see morbidly obese people poured into tight Lycra either - especially on bikes sweating profusely - but when I do see it - which is often - I realise the problem is mine - not theirs - and I simply look the other way and get over it - and get over myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Gatling wrote: »
    I believe it's under public decency laws

So she has to have decent tatties? Sounds fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

py2006 wrote: »
    She'd be the very woman that would make all sorts of accusations against men (not women) who looked at her breasts or walked/stood too close to her.
    How do you know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

How do you know this?

They don't need to know. This is a place of wild accusations. So far in this thread she's been called a feminazi, a druggie, a raging leftie, an attention seeker and other things.

All unsubstantiated bollocks but people are happy to go on mouthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Years ago ,there was a naked guy wandering around glastonbury festival, carrying a large sign . He was protesting that he should have the right to protest naked..
    When I first saw him I thought ,ah his idea of a mess, he'll do it for an hour then feic off and enjoy the festival.. nope he spent the whole weekend protesting for the right to protest naked..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Did you read the bloody report? She actually did the opposite when some random dude grabbed her boob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Well, this is a baseless comment. Did you read the article before jumping to that conclusion:
    I dealt with a man who grabbed onto my breast, when I was fully dressed, and I decided to laugh it off, as we often do. He was just being a messer, it’s not such an uncommon thing for women to be groped, it’s certainly not uncommon for me. Every time you get sexually harassed, you have to weigh up your options. Do you say 'is this very dangerous?' or 'is this innocuous nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Discodog wrote: »
    She wasn't charged with exposing her boobs. The charge was failing to obey the instruction of a Guard - amazing what Guards are able to instruct you to do.

She wasn't charged with anything according to the link. I'd love to see an attempt a getting a conviction under the law refered to in the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,807 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ruu wrote: »
    Someone think of the children!!

Children go blind if they see boobies.

Fact.

Advertisement