Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"White people problems" TV shows

• 27-03-2016 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I was looking for a new show to watch yesterday, and one came extremely highly recommended called "Transparent." It has two seasons so far (twenty episodes in total) and is a drama/comedy. It received widespread critical acclaim, by the looks of things. It was aired by Amazon.com.

So I watched the first episode and, yes, it is a quality tv show. It is well written and well performed.

However, coming towards the end of the episode, my prevailing feeling was "Ugh - white people problems," which is similar to First World Problems. i.e. "problems" so-called because there is a tendency for predominantly white people and those living in the first world to have the nerve to complain about.

Issues like relationship problems, "Oh I'm so lonely" or "Oh I'm having an affair and I'm married" or "Oh I don't like my job or my friends" blah blah blah. (And no I'm not saying that these aren't important issues or that they should be ignored.)

And then it really hit me how many of the most popular shows on tv have been based on "white people problems" or "first world problems" (you know the ones - I guarantee you can name a good few) and it made me feel a little sick to my stomach. And all I could think was, this show epitomises this, and it's kind of disgusting that we're still putting energy and attention into these stupid "white people problems" tv shows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

So should we not watch or make tv shows in which the problems face by the main characters are relatable to the population who are watching the tv show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

"Drama/Comedy". It's a TV entertainment piece. Don't overthink it.

I like that show with the guy and the girl who have a misunderstanding, then have to work together and hate each other, even though they love each other and just don't know it.

That show is good.

What do you want OP? Every light show to be about some disaster or tragedy? Little problems (comparatively) are what make up the minutia of peoples lives. It give background and context to whatever the main story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sounds positively hard hitting compared to E!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont get the point? Im pretty sure if you go to South America there is a copious supply of soap opera stuff, are they "Latino people problems" ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

DareGod wrote: »
    I was looking for a new show to watch yesterday, and one came extremely highly recommended called "Transparent."

And all I could think was, this show epitomises this, and it's kind of disgusting that we're still putting energy and attention into these stupid "white people problems" tv shows.

You're not being forced to watch them though. There's plenty of what's categorised as entertainment content I find mind-numbingly dull, but for other people it's simply a form of escapism or being able to relate to something or someone in the show. I try not to judge what other people find entertaining, though there are some shows I just don't understand the point of them at all. 'Transparent' isn't one of those shows. 'I am Cait' on the other hand - utter drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Television can inform, educate, enlighten, but its main function is entertainment.

Some programmes are hard hitting. Some discuss and reflect the major issues of our day. Some are there to make you laugh, relax and enjoy without troubling your conscience. There's a place for them all.

Except Xposé. There's no need for that shíte. :)

ETA: Hang on, I haven't seen Transparent, but isn't that about a transgendered man coming out to his children in later life? How exactly is that a trivial situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

silverharp wrote: »
    I dont get the point? Im pretty sure if you go to South America there is a copious supply of soap opera stuff, are they "Latino people problems" ?

Who doesn't love a good telenovela? :D

Some of the Bollywood and Nollywood stuff is great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I used to think "Larry David...ugh, white people problems!"

No...wait, sorry. I didn't. I laughed and enjoyed it for what it was.

Maybe just don't expect entertainment to be anything more than entertainment, OP.

Transparent description from Wikipedia:
    The story revolves around a Los Angeles family and their lives following the discovery that the person they knew as their father Mort (Jeffrey Tambor) is transgender.

So it's a show about a 'first world problem' in the same way the The Wire was a show about how annoying it is when people listen in on your telephone conversation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Who doesn't love a good telenovela? :D

Some of the Bollywood and Nollywood stuff is great too!

it seems like its used for joke material in US TV where some character is looking at a spanish tv soap opera that is exactly the same as US ones.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Just stop.

Please, just stop.

a fat guy wrote: »
    Just stop.

Please, just stop.

Hammer time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Don't black/hispanic/asian people also have relationship issues, job issues, family issues etc.?

Everybody Hates Chris = Malcolm in the Middle

The Cosby Show = Family Ties

There are plenty of people of all creeds and colours who experience gender issues, such as the ones raised in 'Transparant'. There's a black transgender character in 'Orange is the New Black, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pretty sure black people also cheat , get married, feel lonely, struggle with jobs, etc,etc

Not sure what OP is on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Makes me feel sick at times too to be honest. But like , thats how it is, we have relatively few major problems in the west so what are we supposed to do like try make more problems for ourself so we can have genuine reason to complain about problems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Pretty sure black people also cheat , get married, feel lonely, struggle with jobs, etc,etc

Not sure what OP is on about?

Exactly. Shows like 'Scandal', 'Empire' and 'How to Get Away With Murder' are all headed by black characters and have all these issues. They're not defined by their colour at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Exactly. Shows like 'Scandal', 'Empire' and 'How to Get Away With Murder' are all headed by black characters and have all these issues. They're not defined by their colour at all!

I think he means first worlders, who are for the most part white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

How the f*ck are relationship/job problems white people problems?

Do people of other races not have jobs/relationships?

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I read the op shortly after it was posted and 2 hours later I still can't muster a response to highlight how stupid it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

#rtesowhite

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    #rtesowhite

I watched all those shows about the Easter Rising and I was disgusted. Seven signatories of the proclamation and RTE didn't cast an ethnic minority or woman to play even one of them.

It's a national disgrace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Uhm I'm pretty sure in third world Latin countries everyone is addicted to Telenovelas, in Korea they have K-drama, China, Taiwan, Japan all have their own versions available on Netflix, Africa has them too for all to see on their own channel if you have Sky. India has great ones on Netflix too. Actually there isn't a country in the first world to the third world that doesn't have soap operas about love, romance, drama and all the ****e.

So yeah, not just a white first world thing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

DareGod wrote: »

However, coming towards the end of the episode, my prevailing feeling was "Ugh - white people problems," which is similar to First World Problems. i.e. "problems" so-called because there is a tendency for predominantly white people and those living in the first world to have the nerve to complain about.

Issues like relationship problems, "Oh I'm so lonely" or "Oh I'm having an affair and I'm married" or "Oh I don't like my job or my friends" blah blah blah. (And no I'm not saying that these aren't important issues or that they should be ignored.)

And then it really hit me how many of the most popular shows on tv have been based on "white people problems" or "first world problems" (you know the ones - I guarantee you can name a good few) and it made me feel a little sick to my stomach. And all I could think was, this show epitomises this, and it's kind of disgusting that we're still putting energy and attention into these stupid "white people problems" tv shows.

Only white people have relationship or job issues? Ok

Seriously OP your entire post is the definition of first world problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well 24 have replaced jack Bauer with a black man. So is that show going to be about black man's problems now? Or have they given a black man white man's problems.

Confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

wakka12 wrote: »
    Makes me feel sick at times too to be honest. But like , thats how it is, we have relatively few major problems in the west so what are we supposed to do like try make more problems for ourself so we can have genuine reason to complain about problems..

So Westerners should primarily make shows set in Syria, Sudan and North Korea? Because Western writers have such a strong track record of portraying other cultures accurately?:P A better solution would be to consume more global media -- and it's our own personal fault if we dont.

C'mon, they say to write what you know. Cultures write about the problems in their society. A better solution would be to consume more global media -- and it's our own personal fault if we dont. While American media should work harder to be more representitive of their demographics (seriously, every white 25+yr old in American tv seems to be the 'best in their field') but they should focus on that first.

Let the rest of the world tell their stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I read this as being just a thinly veiled thread looking down on middle class people. Apparently being (white), middle class, tax paying, law abiding citizens is not "keeping it real" and should be showered with derision and scorn.

I read this as being just a thinly veiled thread looking down on middle class people. Apparently being (white), middle class, tax paying, law abiding citizens is not "keeping it real" and should be showered with derision and scorn.

I figure that the OP just doesn't want anyone to enjoy themselves while there are terrible things going on in the world.

We should all be wearing widow's weeds (yes, even the men) and keening from dawn till dusk. There isn't nearly enough wailing and gnashing of teeth going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What about all the rich/Middle class none white people in the first world ? My SJW detector is spiking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

God dammit Ive invented yet another industrial technology which will advance humanity and lessen the suffering of millions of non-whites.

Im so angry I'd dance... if only I could.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

I know exactly what you mean OP, I saw this show about white people and their problems. Made me sick. It was called Fair City.

Advertisement