Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Women don't want to talk to drunks"Fact or fiction?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭

My auld lad insists that when it comes to socializing, women do not want to talk to drunks. I don’t know whether to agree with him or not. The thing is I’m relatively attractive, well-read, articulate and intelligent but I can’t for the life of me get talking to a girl on a night out without having two or three “buffer” pints in me first. Proof of the pudding is the fact that of any relationship I’ve had over the last six years or so, the initial contact was always made when under the influence. Maybe it’s a damning insight into me, or perhaps it’s common amongst a lot of Irish men, but at the same time it’s a bit odd considering my field of work consists of me constantly interviewing people and I never lack confidence then. Of course, there has been the odd night where I’ve been so stotious that it’d take a brave girl to even talk to me!

On the flip side of the coin, there has been many an occasion where I’d be talking to a drunk girl when sober and could never tell whether it’d be right or wrong to make a move. Case in point was a couple of weeks ago when a girl was chatting me up, rubbing my arm, moving in closer etc. I had only a couple of pints on me and didn’t know whether I should lean or for a shift or vice versa (didn’t really matter in the end, she went in for the kill and succeeded!:pac:)

So basically female folk of AH, is it fact or fiction that women don’t like talking to drunks? And if they don’t, is because they be trippin’? And what’s the number one tell-tale sign that a girl is interested in a lad on a night out?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think you know the difference between Sober, Merry or Drunk.

Under no circumstances in your OP were you Sober or Drunk. You just lack social skills. Work on that and you'll be knee deep in clunge in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No-one wants to talk to drunks, surely. :confused:

But particularly in the case of chatting up: if you're drunk, you're definitely not being as charming as you imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I hate talking to drunk guys when I'm sober, happened just the other day. They get mad though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yep they do, it happens to me all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You lack social skills and are overly dependent on alcohol

And yes, I hate talking to drunk people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

they do shag them though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Depends on what you mean by drunk ?

There's the friendly socializing, bit of banter "drunks"
    Then theres the creepy, meesy annoying drunks... that give you stick & make an arse of themselves when you refuse to entertain them

Personally I'll happily chat to a "friendly drunk" (someone who can hold a conversation together)
    I think drink is great form or socializing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

If you dont try you wont succeed but the problem is in Ireland that so many girls think they are the best thing that ever walked when they are the complete opposite and wont even have a conversation let alone anything else.

Talk to ones in the pub and you wont have a problem, excess drink and you will.

My auld lad insists that when it comes to socializing, women do not want to talk to drunks. I don’t know whether to agree with him or not. The thing is I’m relatively attractive, well-read, articulate and intelligent but I can’t for the life of me get talking to a girl on a night out without having two or three “buffer” pints in me first. Proof of the pudding is the fact that of any relationship I’ve had over the last six years or so, the initial contact was always made when under the influence. Maybe it’s a damning insight into me, or perhaps it’s common amongst a lot of Irish men, but at the same time it’s a bit odd considering my field of work consists of me constantly interviewing people and I never lack confidence then. Of course, there has been the odd night where I’ve been so stotious that it’d take a brave girl to even talk to me!

On the flip side of the coin, there has been many an occasion where I’d be talking to a drunk girl when sober and could never tell whether it’d be right or wrong to make a move. Case in point was a couple of weeks ago when a girl was chatting me up, rubbing my arm, moving in closer etc. I had only a couple of pints on me and didn’t know whether I should lean or for a shift or vice versa (didn’t really matter in the end, she went in for the kill and succeeded!:pac:)

So basically female folk of AH, is it fact or fiction that women don’t like talking to drunks? And if they don’t, is because they be trippin’? And what’s the number one tell-tale sign that a girl is interested in a lad on a night out?

You should tell the ladies this, and also that you have many leather bound books and your apartment smells of rich mahogany.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Women won't talk to Ducks... period. Drunk or sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

You obviously severly lack social skills, I mean Nobody, NOBODY writes in a larger font than 2. I mean, come on!

On another note, hate drunk lads on a night out..mess

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No woman wants to be chatted up by someone barely able to stand, who's slurring their words, and is obviously ****faced. Someone who's had a drink or two; that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I find the sight of drunk people disgusting and when I had to talk to a drunk person, at a business function or something like that, I had to work hard to overcome my disgust and actually be civil with them. So no, any guy who attempts to chat me up would have to be sober or gets ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

When I say I need to be "drunk" to start conversation, I mean I need to be merry. I know exactly when I've passed the threshold between merry and drunk, unlike a lot of my friends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Irish men without alcohol are shy as fúck when it comes to meeting girls. When I moved here I was already used to a dating culture from 14 years old. So from a young age the confidence to talk to and approach girls was there. Helped a lot with my school being mixed. Which very few are here. Well in Dublin anyways. The catholic church is probably to blame for a lot of the sexual repression too. The subject seems very taboo in a lot of Irish families and kids grow up without much confidence in the subject.

I couldn't believe it when friends would say they like a certain girl and I'd tell them to go ask her out. And they'd make excuses. Same when out in bars. They'd say they'll get a few more drinks in first. Which always seemed to help them. From my experience girls don't like drunk sloppy fellas. They like confidence so if you can gain that from a few pints without being too visibly drunk you should be golden. You shouldn't really need drink to meet girls though.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Steven81 wrote: »
    If you dont try you wont succeed but the problem is in Ireland that so many girls think they are the best thing that ever walked when they are the complete opposite and wont even have a conversation let alone anything else.

Talk to ones in the pub and you wont have a problem, excess drink and you will.

I hate guys with this stupid attitude. There's probably loads of reasons why they didn't want to talk to you, yet you can tar every girl with the same brush and be all high and mighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Steven81 wrote: »
    problem is in Ireland that so many girls think they are the best thing that ever walked when they are the complete opposite and wont even have a conversation let alone anything else.

Emm maybe they just don't feel the need to start a conversation with you..
    or they're just not interested in you :rolleyes:

I don't think you know the difference between Sober, Merry or Drunk.

Under no circumstances in your OP were you Sober or Drunk. You just lack social skills. Work on that and you'll be knee deep in clunge in no time.

Oh by the way, I'm not looking for advice on how to pull women. In fact, I've been on quite the run since I've been back on the market ;) I'm just looking for a definitive answer to the question in the thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Irish men without alcohol are shy as fúck when it comes to meeting girls. When I moved here I was already used to a dating culture from 14 years old. So from a young age the confidence to talk to and approach girls was there. Helped a lot with my school being mixed. Which very few are here. Well in Dublin anyways. The catholic church is probably to blame for a lot of the sexual repression too. The subject seems very taboo in a lot of Irish families and kids grow up without much confidence in the subject.

I couldn't believe it when friends would say they like a certain girl and I'd tell them to go ask her out. And they'd make excuses. Same when out in bars. They'd say they'll get a few more drinks in first. Which always seemed to help them. From my experience girls don't like drunk sloppy fellas. They like confidence so if you can gain that from a few pints without being too visibly drunk you should be golden. You shouldn't really need drink to meet girls though.

Yep, the good thing about that is you can really separate yourself from the crowd by approaching early in the night before everyone is drunk. You have no competition.

Oh by the way, I'm not looking for advice on how to pull women. In fact, I've been on quite the run since I've been back on the market ;) I'm just looking for a definitive answer to the question in the thread title.

I've figured it out now: the problem isn't being too drunk: it's that you're too modest. Sell yourself a little better! :pac:

• Advertisement

That is exactly what I'm trying to say. Obviously didn't come across that way in the OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

heh, only threw that last bit in as the ultimate result of fixing yourself up with talking to women. Incentivise ya know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I don't think there is a definitive answer to the title..."drunks" is just too vague.

Is it drunk women, drunk male friends, drunk strangers, bit cheery drunk, falling over drunk, general chat or full-on chat up?

Nobody wants to be lumbered with the dribbling social retard who thinks they're god's gift when they hit the eight pint mark...on the other hand I think few would mind chatting to folks with a few in them, especially in a club where they are probably in much the same state...I think it all depends on whether the drunk person crosses (or is able to tell) where the line between entertaining and pest lies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Approaching and talking to women in Ireland is generally done in a pub.
    So it will involve alcohol to some degree.

Try approaching a woman on the street to realise why. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

My auld lad insists that when it comes to socializing, women do not want to talk to drunks. I don’t know whether to agree with him or not. The thing is I’m relatively attractive, well-read, articulate and intelligent but I can’t for the life of me get talking to a girl on a night out without having two or three “buffer” pints in me first.

Hold the front page - Samantha Brick has turned gay :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Nobody want's a drunk for company unless there is an agenda .

That's the thing with confidence though. You can have very high self esteem and be quietly confident, however this can be misconstrued as shyness in a social setting. You can be sitting in a corner in a pub with a confident demeanour and go home for a five finger shuffle all the same.

It takes a bit of balls, if you will, to approach women (usually in groups) in a bar.

Overcoming the old chestnut of the fear of rejection gets drowned in booze in a way,..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

kylith wrote: »
    No woman wants to be chatted up by someone barely able to stand, who's slurring their words, and is obviously ****faced. Someone who's had a drink or two; that's fine.

But But I am more charming and interesting when pissed, do you come here often just sounds so much better.

I never minded drunk people unless they were absolutely stocious, but coke heads, I just tell them to F-off there is simply nothing worse than been talked to, in gibberish and gibberish at 90MPH. Party and social drug my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

haminka wrote: »
    I find the sight of drunk people disgusting and when I had to talk to a drunk person, at a business function or something like that, I had to work hard to overcome my disgust and actually be civil with them.

I get the impression your monocle falls out whenever you see a drunk person.

• Advertisement

haminka wrote: »
    I find the sight of drunk people disgusting and when I had to talk to a drunk person, at a business function or something like that, I had to work hard to overcome my disgust and actually be civil with them. So no, any guy who attempts to chat me up would have to be sober or gets ignored.

So someone who is merry can't chat you up either? Big gulf between sober as a judge and drunk as a skunk.

Advertisement