Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair Taxi Site

Options
  • 27-01-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

After many months in development http://wheelchairtaxi.ie/ is finally online, yay!

Hope you find it helpful and any feedback (good or bad, I have a thick skin!) of where I can improve things would be great. Other transport is not functioning fully yet but will shortly.

Regards,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

clusk007 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

After many months in development http://wheelchairtaxi.ie/ is finally online, yay!

Hope you find it helpful and any feedback (good or bad, I have a thick skin!) of where I can improve things would be great. Other transport is not functioning fully yet but will shortly.

Regards,

Stephen

Good luck with that. Although no taxi drivers came up for my postcode.....?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I registered in the driver section and sent you an email days ago and you have not responded ?
    When I select the area I work in it gives too many areas, so I may recieve calls from areas I do not cover even though your site says I do.
    Also when I search for a Taxi in the area I work I dont come up ? Whats the point ?
    Where did you get the driver contact details from ? Regulator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

2qk4u wrote: »
    I registered in the driver section and sent you an email days ago and you have not responded ?
    When I select the area I work in it gives too many areas, so I may recieve calls from areas I do not cover even though your site says I do.
    Also when I search for a Taxi in the area I work I dont come up ? Whats the point ?
    Where did you get the driver contact details from ? Regulator ?

Hi,

Yes the contact form on the website was not working first day or two so I didn't get any of those messages, I'm very sorry. It is working now though so if you want to drop me a line I can help you with these issues.
    The website is in its early phase so there will be some teething problems but hopefully not too many and for not too long.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi,

Yes the contact form on the website was not working first day or two so I didn't get any of those messages, I'm very sorry. It is working now though so if you want to drop me a line I can help you with these issues.
    The website is in its early phase so there will be some teething problems but hopefully not too many and for not too long.

Regards,

Stephen

What was the point of launching a website that is not working properly ? Surely it would make more sense to get it right first time ?

What was the point of launching a website that is not working properly ? Surely it would make more sense to get it right first time ?

I agree but it's working correctly for the most part and those were errors not picked up until after it was launched so I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Ah lads, give him a break. This is a voluntary initiative. It's not a business looking for your money. It just might possibly make a few quid in a few years time, if all goes well. Try supporting some new ventures instead of snapping at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

you might want to refine the search engine - i searched for taxis in Kilmallock, Co Limerick (near Charleville on the Cork border ie South Limerick) and I got taxis for Bunratty and Clare. Bunratty is well over an hours drive away at the best of times.

Maybe reduce the search distance to 30Km?

Other than that good luck with it and congratulations for takin the iniative.

Ah lads, give him a break. This is a voluntary initiative. It's not a business looking for your money. It just might possibly make a few quid in a few years time, if all goes well. Try supporting some new ventures instead of snapping at them.
    He asked for feedback, he got feedback, whats the problem ? will I pop around to his house and pat him on the back for launching a website that doesnt work properly and is as much use to his intended target as a pair of tits on a bull ?

He asked for feedback, he got feedback, whats the problem ? will I pop around to his house and pat him on the back for launching a website that doesnt work properly and is as much use to his intended target as a pair of tits on a bull ?
    Funnily enough, it is possible to give feedback without being a smart-ass, i.e. "What was the point of launching a website that is not working properly?". Ever heard of 'constructive feedback'?

Sad to see taxi drivers living up to their argumentative stereotypes.

Funnily enough, it is possible to give feedback without being a smart-ass, i.e. "What was the point of launching a website that is not working properly?". Ever heard of 'constructive feedback'?

Sad to see taxi drivers living up to their argumentative stereotypes.
    I think you have a problem, you have now accused me of snapping and being a smart arse, I just told it as it is. Why do you feel I should not say what I think ? People in wheelchairs have enough problems getting transport with being led to a website that does not give the correct information to them, My opinion is that it should only be launched when working correctly.
    Speaking of stereotypes, I suppose you are a keyboard warrior ?

• Advertisement

I think you have a problem, you have now accused me of snapping and being a smart arse, I just told it as it is. Why do you feel I should not say what I think ? People in wheelchairs have enough problems getting transport with being led to a website that does not give the correct information to them, My opinion is that it should only be launched when working correctly.
    Speaking of stereotypes, I suppose you are a keyboard warrior ?

You are of course entitled to your opinion. However, you should think about the impact of your opinions on others. I know self-awareness isn't hugely popular in the taxi-driver community, but it is important. The most likely impact of snappy feedback like yours in relation to a problem that had already been fixed before you raised it is that the developer will say 'sure feck it, why bother me arse if that's the kind of grief I get for sticking my head above the parapet and trying something out'. I hope Stephen has the sense to ignore your snapping and get on with providing an important service to customers and drivers.

Constructive feedback works. I've just persuaded Luas to change their policy around declining of credit cards with a bit of constructive feedback - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76808228&postcount=911. But I guess some people prepare to have their little dig. As my mammy used to say, if you've nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. However, you should think about the impact of your opinions on others. I know self-awareness isn't hugely popular in the taxi-driver community, but it is important. The most likely impact of snappy feedback like yours in relation to a problem that had already been fixed before you raised it is that the developer will say 'sure feck it, why bother me arse if that's the kind of grief I get for sticking my head above the parapet and trying something out'. I hope Stephen has the sense to ignore your snapping and get on with providing an important service to customers and drivers.

As my mammy used to say, if you've nothing nice to say, then say nothing.
    The problems are not fixed, I just searched for a wheelchair Taxi in Dublin 15 and it gave me Wicklow Transport Service and left out other providers who clearly advertise they operate in that area.
    I think the website is a great idea but in fairness its created by a wheelchair user for wheelchair users and its not working as it should.
    You may have taken me up wrong or maybe I just dont translate well when I type but I mean no harm.

The problems are not fixed, I just searched for a wheelchair Taxi in Dublin 15 and it gave me Wicklow Transport Service and left out other providers who clearly advertise they operate in that area.
    I think the website is a great idea but in fairness its created by a wheelchair user for wheelchair users and its not working as it should.
    You may have taken me up wrong or maybe I just dont translate well when I type but I mean no harm.

Maybe you should think more before putting your point across.....? Then you won't come across as "snappy"?

OP - good luck with the site.

I appreciate the constructive feedback above but do try and keep it constructive rather than using phrases like 'as useful as a pair of tits on a bull.' I think that's why the above posters feel you were being snappy.

To get your point of searching for a wheelchair taxi in Dublin 15 - if you look at the areas that Wicklow transport cover Dublin 15 is one of these and it is at the discretion of each taxi driver what areas they cover, this is not from me to determine. A taxi driver can log into their account and change this at any time, I merely provide a service where drivers list their services, the areas they cover and users search to see who can cover that area. That's the basic principle.

If there are any more problems (as I'm sure there are with any new site) please let me know 'constructively' ;)

Stephen

I advertised that I work in Dublin 15 yet I do not appear when you search in Dublin 15 ?
    As for wicklow transport service advertising in Dublin 15, thats a problem in itself, it will instantly put people off using the site if they think they will have wait for a wheelchair Taxi to come from Wicklow.
    I think you need to change how the areas work when you select your work areas, If I select North Dublin it gives me too many areas, I will have people ringing me asking me to travel to an area I dont work which will cause me to refuse the service purley on logistical reasons. For example, If I am in say Ongar in Dublin 15 and I get a call from someone in Howth at any time of day never mind rush hour it would take way too long to get to the person and its not financially worth it to travel for an hour to bring someone 10 minutes down the road.

There's another problem

(IMO) Some taxi drivers are waaaaaaaaaaaay too picky what hours/locations they work. This is another reason why wheelchair users are so p****d off with the taxi service-accessible taxis in particular.

I advertised that I work in Dublin 15 yet I do not appear when you search in Dublin 15 ?
    As for wicklow transport service advertising in Dublin 15, thats a problem in itself, it will instantly put people off using the site if they think they will have wait for a wheelchair Taxi to come from Wicklow.
    I think you need to change how the areas work when you select your work areas, If I select North Dublin it gives me too many areas, I will have people ringing me asking me to travel to an area I dont work which will cause me to refuse the service purley on logistical reasons. For example, If I am in say Ongar in Dublin 15 and I get a call from someone in Howth at any time of day never mind rush hour it would take way too long to get to the person and its not financially worth it to travel for an hour to bring someone 10 minutes down the road.

Hi, can you PM me your details and I will look into why you're not showing up?

I know myself if I went on and searched Dublin, there are many results. The obvious thing to do is look for the area they are based. If Wicklow transport showed up, I would not choose them firstly but all the driver has to say is no. For your case, in your account in the example you have used you can deselect areas like howth if they're too far from you. Anyway PM me and I'll look into it for you

There's another problem

(IMO) Some taxi drivers are waaaaaaaaaaaay too picky what hours/locations they work. This is another reason why wheelchair users are so p****d off with the taxi service-accessible taxis in particular.
    No thats not right, its not fair on the passenger for a driver to take on a job that is not practical, the passenger will be left waiting or the driver just wont turn up.
    Another problem is if the waiting time is too long you end up with Taxis driving all over Dublin doing nothing because people wont wait.
    The point is the distance is important for both parties to have a successful service.

There's another problem

I think that's far too general and unfair to many of the really decent taxi drivers out there. If you feel this is the case then I think the website will weed these people out, although I don't agree with your generalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Great idea. Good luck with it.

Perhaps you can suggest to the drivers if their catchment is unrealistic.

Perhaps have a primary and secondary catchment. (In version 4.0).

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Great idea. Good luck with it.

Perhaps you can suggest to the drivers if their catchment is unrealistic.

Perhaps have a primary and secondary catchment. (In version 4.0).

That's a very good idea and something I had not thought about. great feedback, cheers

Hi, can you PM me your details and I will look into why you're not showing up?

I know myself if I went on and searched Dublin, there are many results. The obvious thing to do is look for the area they are based. If Wicklow transport showed up, I would not choose them firstly but all the driver has to say is no. For your case, in your account in the example you have used you can deselect areas like howth if they're too far from you. Anyway PM me and I'll look into it for you

I select Dublin from the menu on left, then select Dublin 15 but I dont show.
    Anyway, if you allow the driver select the individual areas instead of bulk areas it would work better.

I think that's far too general and unfair to many of the really decent taxi drivers out there. If you feel this is the case then I think the website will weed these people out, although I don't agree with your generalisation.

It's the truth though. It would take far too long for me to count the amount of times I've been left in the lurch looking for or waiting for a wheelchair taxi: whether it be to collecting me from my house, or(worse still) trying to get home from town.

The amount of wheelchair accessible taxi's that drive by with their roof-signs on(which I understand are meant to be turned off if they're going to a job), is absolutely ridiculous and totally infuriating. Some taxi drivers/companies need to see it from the customers side too.

No thats not right, its not fair on the passenger for a driver to take on a job that is not practical, the passenger will be left waiting or the driver just wont turn up.
    Another problem is if the waiting time is too long you end up with Taxis driving all over Dublin doing nothing because people wont wait.
    The point is the distance is important for both parties to have a successful service.

We end up waiting anyway.

Anyway, if you allow the driver select the individual areas instead of bulk areas it would work better.

You actually can select the individual areas. log into your account and go to areas covered, click for example Dublin South and all the areas in that section display below. Un-tick the areas you don't serve. Any problems let me know

I just had a read back through your post and realized I may have missed something, Ive had a root in the settings and I didnt know I could click on the area selected and uncheck individual areas. Problem sorted.
    I think thats why other drivers have advertised out side their ares too, it was not very obvious that I could do this, maybe you could change the colour or think of some way to highlight this to drivers ?
    I just received the sticker in the post, looks good. A bigger version of it would look really well on the doors of wheelchair Taxis but it be costly.

I just had a read back through your post and realized I may have missed something, Ive had a root in the settings and I didnt know I could click on the area selected and uncheck individual areas. Problem sorted.
    I think thats why other drivers have advertised out side their ares too, it was not very obvious that I could do this, maybe you could change the colour or think of some way to highlight this to drivers ?
    I just received the sticker in the post, looks good. A bigger version of it would look really well on the doors of wheelchair Taxis but it be costly.

I was concerned about that, maybe if the section displays with the part open below already and you can untick at your ease?
    Glad you got the sticker, didn't want to make it too big as the feedback from the drivers was generally that they wouldn't display anything too big but hopefully others can see it. Good idea about the door sticker although I am working on a very tight budget at the moment but maybe down the line. In your opinion would many drivers actually put this on the door of their vehicle?

We end up waiting anyway.
    Your problem is that only about 4% of the Taxi fleet is wheelchair accessible, you need to contact the Natational Transport Authority if you are having problems with the service.

Your problem is that only about 4% of the Taxi fleet is wheelchair accessible, you need to contact the Natational Transport Authority if you are having problems with the service.

Maybe the drivers could help us by doing this through their unions too??

Another thing about accessible taxis(I don't want to hijack the OP'S thread), is that I think they should be made available sans either VRT/VAT as an incentive for drivers to buy them. This system is available to disabled people and their families to buy cars.

• Advertisement

Maybe the drivers could help us by doing this through their unions too??

Another thing about accessible taxis(I don't want to hijack the OP'S thread), is that I think they should be made available sans either VRT/VAT as an incentive for drivers to buy them. This system is available to disabled people and their families to buy cars.

'Patient' power is the only way to achieve something like this. It is only us that can change things and we have the power Mickey! I had the idea sometime ago that if we could lobby our politicians/taxi regulator to make it compulsory that each rank would have to have a minimum of 10% of their fleet wheelchair accessible taxis working at any given time and try to build from there.

Advertisement