Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled parking spaces

Options
  • 18-08-2006 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Id like your feedback on this as its starting to bother me.
    I have a disability - Multiple Sclerosis and recently Ive been given the blue badge parking permit as Im suffering with fatigue, vertigo and general inability to walk in a straight line. (I have had people ask me if Im drunk so many times its ridiculous). I wont rabbit about MS but its painful and it sucks.
    Anyway, my question/issue is that I just cant believe the attitude of people when I park my little car in the designated space, put my blue badge on the dash and get out and walk (wobble) to wherever Im going. I use the Luas alot and only this morning some guy stared me out of it as if I was some kind of scammer.
    I am not a scammer. I suffer greatly with this ilness. Ive even had to start wearing an SOS bracelet as Ive fallen and knocked myself unconscious and when I came to the people at the Luas stop accused me of having too many in the local. They thought it was great fun, a young woman off her trolley:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I suppose Id like to know what others experiences are. Im getting upset about this, and Ive even considered not using my blue badge which would mean me having to park my car much farther away, meaning Id have to walk longer distances. Thats not always possible with pain and fatigue.
    If I had a cane would it help people understand that just because someone is walking and looks ok it doesnt mean that they arent ill, or in pain, or suffering with a disability?
    Why are people so rude? Do they really think that anyone can get the blue badge? Do they really not know that you genuinely have to have a reason and a doctors endorsement to get the blue badge?
    Your comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Hi, my mother has one of these cards and its a god send for her, just ignore them is the best advise I can give. One thing though, I hope you park in an ordinary space if one is available nearby to the disabled one (highly unlikely I know) but to do so would leave the disabled spot free for some other diabled driver to use in the short term and probably stop the stares too. I see it everyday in town, same cars parked all day in the disabled spot and they are there from early morning when the rest of the spaces in the street are empty.

Thankfully we haven't adopted the UK approach that makes you display the time you arrived and (I think) gives you twice the parking period that the zone alllows before they can give you a ticket.

Keep up the fight!!!

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

Hi, my mother has one of these cards and its a god send for her, just ignore them is the best advise I can give. One thing though, I hope you park in an ordinary space if one is available nearby to the disabled one (highly unlikely I know) but to do so would leave the disabled spot free for some other diabled driver to use in the short term and probably stop the stares too. I see it everyday in town, same cars parked all day in the disabled spot and they are there from early morning when the rest of the spaces in the street are empty.

Thankfully we haven't adopted the UK approach that makes you display the time you arrived and (I think) gives you twice the parking period that the zone alllows before they can give you a ticket.

Keep up the fight!!!

MC

Hi there,
    thanks for your reply,
    I would park my car in the non-designated space if I could but Ive been warned that if I do that again Ill be clamped. Im sure that isnt the case in most places, it is however the case in the Quick Park Luas car park though, so unfortunately it looks like Ill have to take up a designated space when Id rather not. Id rather leave these spaces free for those of us that have to assemble wheelchairs/walking aids. Believe me I would park in a "normal" space with my blue badge if I could.
    I suppose Ill just have to get used to the stares as in general most people are ineducated about disabilities and if they dont see you in a chair, or with missing limbs then they simply dont accept that you have a disability.
    Sad isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

In fairness, those doing the staring have their hearts in the right place, even if they really need to be much more careful and measured. There is abuse of the parking permits system, as some GPs will sign the form unnecessarily. There have been cases of gym instructors and working builders using their legally obtained blue badges to park.

I'm not suggesting that you need to do anything different. A crank like me might considered calling their bluff and asking them what their problem is, and telling them to check the dash before staring next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The disabled spaces in the short-term carpark in Dublin Airport have some very untypical cars parked there which probably causes some people to be sceptical. Most of the cars utilised by disabled persons in general tend to be fairly ordinary and usually small. In the airport there are huge numbers of expensive and exceutive models there on a regular basis. Sometimes a Rolls Royce Phantom (€300,000?) is there with it's blue badge. I accept that people of all income groups may have a disability but it just seems a little odd to see S-class Mercs, Range Rovers, Audi A8s, Aston Martins etc. with disabled permits.

A vehicle with a disabled badge car park in the short term at long term rates AFAIK which increases my suspicions. Apologies if anyone with a disability finds my remarks objectionable - they are not intended to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Most of the cars utilised by disabled persons in general tend to be fairly ordinary and usually small. In the airport there are huge numbers of expensive and exceutive models there on a regular basis.

Actually, I have to say, these days thats not really the case. Most cars that can be made disabled-friendly are the newer models and there are subsidies for people with disabilities to make affording one a lot easier (still not enough inho, but if I get into that Ill be here all day ;) )

As for the OP.
    I also have MS, and to be honest, Im always GLAD when people stare, at least one of the thousands of fe<ckers who park there illegally, may be shamed into thinking twice.

b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The lack of vrt on certain cars help;)

A good friend of mine has ceberal palsy and if we are going somewhere that parking is going to be a problem or a long walk the blue card goes on my windscreen to make everything easier.

The amount of times people have seen me get out of the car and made comments etc is unreal but also somewhat entertaining as I would be also thinking the cheek of that person parking there using up that space if it was the other way around:) but then when u take the wheelchair etc out the faces often drop and they disappear quickly or appologise.

I think people generally mean the best and I don't think you should worry about it.

The disabled spaces in the short-term carpark in Dublin Airport have some very untypical cars parked there
    Most cars that can be made disabled-friendly are the newer models and there are subsidies for people with disabilities to make affording one a lot easier

Even a Porsche 911 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Pipp wrote:
    Hello all,
    Id like your feedback on this as its starting to bother me.
    I have a disability - Multiple Sclerosis and recently Ive been given the blue badge parking permit as Im suffering with fatigue, vertigo and general inability to walk in a straight line. (I have had people ask me if Im drunk so many times its ridiculous). I wont rabbit about MS but its painful and it sucks.
    Anyway, my question/issue is that I just cant believe the attitude of people when I park my little car in the designated space, put my blue badge on the dash and get out and walk (wobble) to wherever Im going. I use the Luas alot and only this morning some guy stared me out of it as if I was some kind of scammer.
    I am not a scammer. I suffer greatly with this ilness. Ive even had to start wearing an SOS bracelet as Ive fallen and knocked myself unconscious and when I came to the people at the Luas stop accused me of having too many in the local. They thought it was great fun, a young woman off her trolley:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I suppose Id like to know what others experiences are. Im getting upset about this, and Ive even considered not using my blue badge which would mean me having to park my car much farther away, meaning Id have to walk longer distances. Thats not always possible with pain and fatigue.
    If I had a cane would it help people understand that just because someone is walking and looks ok it doesnt mean that they arent ill, or in pain, or suffering with a disability?
    Why are people so rude? Do they really think that anyone can get the blue badge? Do they really not know that you genuinely have to have a reason and a doctors endorsement to get the blue badge?
    Your comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My mum's the smae she has a disabled badge and it really pisses me off when igorant people take disabled spaces or look at you like your a thief without consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

RainyDay wrote:
    In fairness, those doing the staring have their hearts in the right place, even if they really need to be much more careful and measured. There is abuse of the parking permits system, as some GPs will sign the form unnecessarily. There have been cases of gym instructors and working builders using their legally obtained blue badges to park.

I'm not suggesting that you need to do anything different. A crank like me might considered calling their bluff and asking them what their problem is, and telling them to check the dash before staring next time.

I have to say, although annoying for you, I'd prefer to hear about people staring at potential abusers of these spaces than what I normally observe - complete indifference to the problem.

Another thing that gets to me are the idiots who park 'just for a minute' in these spaces and (usually a passenger) jump out.. engine left running etc... driver looking around anxiously. They're not set down bays!

Although I usually used disabled spaces and display my blue badge, I try to use regular ones when possible.

I would love to see more debate about dodgy GPs signing application forms and the general level of abuse of these designated spaces...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

The thing most people dont realise is that its not just a matter of being closer to the entrance, its mainly that these spaces are made WIDER so somone can get their chair up to the door of the car!

b

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My mum is severely physically disabled and it is very fustrating when these places are taken up by people without the sign. I have seen cases where people cross over partially into the disabled spot making it incredibly difficult to get my mums wheelchair or rollator or even to get her out with her cane when she is up to walking. These places are wider and nearer to facilities for a reason.

On another note - I get problems with my disability, I have type 1 diabetes but suffer from frequent low blood sugars, as a result I often take the seat on busses and have been stared as a result (I do take the disabled/parents seat) - not everyone with a disability has an obviously visible one. I think that some people can not see that you have a disability and are commenting that way - there needs to be a lot more education in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyblues

[QUOTEIf I had a cane would it help people understand that just because someone is walking and looks ok it doesnt mean that they arent ill, or in pain, or suffering with a disability?
    .[/QUOTE]

I have fibromyalgia and often have excruitating pain. A lot of time other people can't see anything "wrong" with me which creates the kind of problems outlined above. Other times walking is like trying to wade through chest high water with legs that are so painful - it's like the severest flu you can imagine. When this is the case people can assume drunkeness and they can get very impatient if stuck behind me in a crowd.

I don't go out often but when I do (especially to crowded areas) I bring a folding cane in my bag. This is not really to help with my walking (although it does help keep balanced when walking very slowly). It is like a sign that says "be nice"!.

It does make a difference to how you are treated. For example if you are trying to get served in a shop and the assistant is ignoring you, when you are in pain it is difficult not to get angry and stressed. Well when they see the cane the problem doesn't arise in the first place. -I suppose this shows that people are mostly decent and want to be kind and considerate.

When I go out I might start of ok but then pain and mobility get worse as I go on - that's the great thing with a folding cane. You can keep it in a bag for when you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

moneyblues wrote:
    I have fibromyalgia and often have excruitating pain. A lot of time other people can't see anything "wrong" with me which creates the kind of problems outlined above. Other times walking is like trying to wade through chest high water with legs that are so painful - it's like the severest flu you can imagine. When this is the case people can assume drunkeness and they can get very impatient if stuck behind me in a crowd.

I don't go out often but when I do (especially to crowded areas) I bring a folding cane in my bag. This is not really to help with my walking (although it does help keep balanced when walking very slowly). It is like a sign that says "be nice"!.

It does make a difference to how you are treated. For example if you are trying to get served in a shop and the assistant is ignoring you, when you are in pain it is difficult not to get angry and stressed. Well when they see the cane the problem doesn't arise in the first place. -I suppose this shows that people are mostly decent and want to be kind and considerate.

When I go out I might start of ok but then pain and mobility get worse as I go on - that's the great thing with a folding cane. You can keep it in a bag for when you need it.

Im sorry to hear about your pain and I understand to a certain degree, especially abolut people assuming drunkeness and being impatient when stuck behind me. Im avoiding crowded areas because of this which really shouldnt be the case. I should be living life a bit more I think.
    Youre absolutely right about the cane, and I am going to buy one. Ive fallen a couple of times recently due to bad balance and I think its time I face the music and admit that I need the damn thing.

Thanks everyone for your replies and input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

It's sad to say but a lot of people have a naive attitude when it comes to accepting that someone has a disability if not in a wheelchair /using a crutch/cane. It's just a less visible disability, a different type.

At least if you have the folding cane, it will save energy and time too in having to explain yourself to strangers. The other benefit is that it will protect your body to a degree, an ever-increasing need with the amount of people who bulldoze their way around the streets and shops, bashing into people and not remotely sorry. A down side of the Celtic Tiger.

I think your being overly sensitive.
    Mostly I see muppets with no blue badge using disabled parking spaces.The only way to put manners on them is to shame them.But most of us are too cowardly for all that confrontation and so they get away with it.

It might not even be the fact that you are parking there that is causing them to stare, I recently saw about 10 people stand up and gawp as a lady with a drunken appearance who was being assisted by a family member because obviously she wasn't able for anymore shopping.
    I have seen people do the same to my mother when walking with dificulty with an aid.
    It's insulting but just relish the thought that their day will come and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 rlawless

Hi Richard - How would the council employees have known which car was yours?

RainyDay wrote:
    Hi Richard - How would the council employees have known which car was yours?

They saw me get my chair out of my ChairTopper and get onto it. It takes a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

In England I see alot of people here with blue badges displayed who appear(I'm prepared to accept that some of these have a non-visible disability that affects their mobility, but not all) perfectly fit & healthy. TBH I'd swear they give them out free when you collect x amount of tokens from packets of corn flakes

To give an example a young woman, early to mid 20s, parked outside my flat, half on pavement, half on the street and displayed her blue badge before briskly walking to the nearby shop. Now not only had she used a blue-badge which she didn't need/own (probably was a parent's) but she parked in a way that would hinder any disabled/wheelchair-bound person on the footpath :mad:

rlawless wrote:
    They saw me get my chair out of my ChairTopper and get onto it. It takes a few minutes.
    But how would they know that the person they saw was the same person who did the public denunciation?

• Advertisement

They saw me taking the picture (you can see one of them in the backround)
    Oh also I told them I was sending it to the papers if they didn't move. In retorspect this wasn't my wisest move.

R

I forgot to mention that there were two other cars parked in disabled parking spots beside mine also without badges and they didn't get tickets. One was a workers van.

R

I would suggest that you formally appeal the parking fine via the formal procedure and then submit a general customer service complain through the formal procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

...In the airport there are huge numbers of expensive and exceutive models there on a regular basis. Sometimes a Rolls Royce Phantom (€300,000?) is there with it's blue badge. I accept that people of all income groups may have a disability but it just seems a little odd to see S-class Mercs, Range Rovers, Audi A8s, Aston Martins etc. with disabled permits...

I noticed that too, and so I looked into it, it turns out that persons living with disabilities of a certain type can get
    -VRT refund (so they can get a more expensive car for the same money)
    -Motor excise duty refund (so they can run an aforementioned thirsty 5 litre engined status symbol for a resonable price)

VRT is a con, and will someday be gone, but the second one is pretty cool, imagine you buy petrol at the prevailing price say 105, and the submit your receipts to the powers that be and you get about 70c? money back!

vector wrote:
    I noticed that too, and so I looked into it, it turns out that persons living with disabilities of a certain type can get
    -VRT refund (so they can get a more expensive car for the same money)
    -Motor excise duty refund (so they can run an aforementioned thirsty 5 litre engined status symbol for a resonable price)

You are correct about VRT being a total con, but the ability to acquire a 5litre status symbol is not the idea behind the scheme.

Specifically, "Tax Relief for Vehicles Purchased for use by People with Disabilities Scheme provides for a range of tax reliefs in connection with the purchase and use of motor vehicles. This booklet provides information on the scope of the Scheme, the reliefs
    available and the application procedures. It does not purport to be a legal interpretation of the relevant legislation which is contained in Section 92 of the Finance Act, 1989 and the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) Regulations, 1994 (S.I. 353 of 1994)...

... The question of who can apply is addressed in Part 3.
    Relief in respect of Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and Value Added Tax (VAT) may be obtained, subject to a maximum of :
    €9,525 for a driver.
    €15,875 for a passenger.
    €15,875 for a family member.
    Relief is restricted to a vehicle which has been specially constructed or adapted for use by a person with a disability and which has an engine size of less than 2,000cc in the case of a driver and 4,000cc in the case of a passenger.
    A vehicle which has been relieved from tax may not be disposed of for at least two years."

source: revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

The blue badge and the disability allowances for cars are totally unrelated.
    As has been noted earlier to avail of the scheme you typically need a new car and the conversion must be equal to at least 10% of the cost of the car.

Due to the nature of these conversions you will typically find that a large vehicle is required. Let me assure you you'll have great difficulty incorporating a lift/hoist into a 1998 Fiat Punto.

If you think its such a great deal I suggest you perhaps try hacking your legs off to avail of these wonderful motoring opportunities :p

When shopping the other day (full of festive cheer - not!), I parked in a disabled bay in Dundrum Town Centre. Two spaces down from me, I noticed a young fella sitting in his Glanza "Turbo" with his seat reclined. At that stage I didn't rule out that he had a legit reason for being there.

After getting out of my car, when passing the front of his, I noticed the lack of a blue badge on his dash. So, I went over to the driver's window and tapped on it. He rolled it down a couple of inches and looking startled said "What?” I politely asked why he wasn't displaying a parking badge to which he again replied "What?” I reminded him that it was a disabled parking space reserved for those who need it. He just said "So... okay". Then I said to him "I suggest you find another parking spot". He looked a bit dumbfounded and I just wheeled off. His engine started a few seconds later, but I didn't look back to see if he moved. I don’t normally go in for confrontation, but he was asking for it!

My question is who enforces this stuff in private car parks? I know that a lot depends on where it is and who manages the car park etc., but this guy was brazenly sitting in the car, chillaxing, waiting for his bird or whatever and within site of a car park attendant who looked on benignly.

I mentioned it to the attendant when going into the centre and she just said something about "…security... do you want to speak to somebody?” I hadn't the time and wasn't in the humour by that stage :)

CtrlSource wrote:
    My question is who enforces this stuff in private car parks? I know that a lot depends on where it is and who manages the car park etc., but this guy was brazenly sitting in the car, chillaxing, waiting for his bird or whatever and within site of a car park attendant who looked on benignly.

I mentioned it to the attendant when going into the centre and she just said something about "…security... do you want to speak to somebody?” I hadn't the time and wasn't in the humour by that stage :)
    I don't think that anyone is legally responsible for enforcing this stuff on private property, such as shopping centre car parks. The only legal option to enforce proper management of parking would be claim of discrimination under Equal Status legislation. I don't think there have been any prior claims like this, so I guess this would be untrodden territory.

The more practical option might be to make a fuss to the parking attendant and to the security guy and to centre management. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but .....

RainyDay wrote:
    The only legal option to enforce proper management of parking would be claim of discrimination under Equal Status legislation
    I'm not trying to be smart but is there not a danger that the Equal Status Act would mean that persons with a disability should have the same parking facilities as everyone else?

PS - AFAIK no one has a legal right to drive and therefore I presume that no one has a legal right to a parking spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'm not trying to be smart but is there not a danger that the Equal Status Act would mean that persons with a disability should have the same parking facilities as everyone else?...

an interesting question... acedemic of course, as persons living with disabilities should have concessions.

To favour a "weaker" group in society through rules is called "positive discrimination"

Advertisement