Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Women only" car lanes proposed by UK insurer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Crazy proposal that is all about generating PR for the insurer.
    It won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I actually checked the date to make sure it's not April 1st :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What do you reckon? Any merit in this?

No. [/THREAD]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Parody becomes news. Nice work Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

What do you reckon?

I reckon a UK car insurance company is looking for a bit of free publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

As long as it's beside the drunk driver lane proposed by Kerry O'Madfella

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Can you imagine the furore if the same insurer had suggested a men-only car lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Was this rumour circulated by the onion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think that anyone who has seen the recent TV ads will know that they are deliberately trolling for publicity purposes

I would suggest that more women are injured because a higher % of female drivers are opting for small cars that don't provide nearly as much protection in a crash situation.

I've never understood the logic that still persists in many households where Daddy has the good car and mammy & kids are in small car when limited crash protection.

Too many women still accept 'girly' cars too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

So what happens when women gets off the main roads and onto the smaller roads and its not pink?

Stupid idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Maybe we should have a shed out the back of ever house for women. For their safety. Can't have the big mean men around them. Plus piece and quiet in the house.

So what happens when women gets off the main roads and onto the smaller roads and its not pink?

Stupid idea.

They need to call a man to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

How's anyone gonna driven in them, sure they'd constantly be getting hoovered and tidyed up. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Michael O' Leary doing PR for this insurance company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Would it be like the bowling alley with those inflatable barriers on the hard shoulder?

Male Taxi drivers would have to dress in full drag to avoid congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And Sheila's Wheels take a page from the Michael O Leary school of announcements

This would actually quite likely be completely illegal too.

It comes across as very patronising too. Sort of women need special roads so they're protected?

I think there's more to the stats than just driver's gender. I'd like to see if this is down to a higher % of female drivers in small cars.

A % of women (decreasing) need to stop accepting small cute cars marketed at them. Although to be honest, I don't see as many Irish women doing that as I did in France or the UK.
    Irish women don't seem to comply with that stereotype to the same degree tho. I know a lot more women here who like bigger cars with more presence on the road then I did in the UK or France.

Bloody hell. I've seen it all now.

If I was insured with them, I'd be moving. Gobshytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bardcom wrote: »
    Can you imagine the furore if the same insurer had suggested a men-only car lane?

Well, indirectly they have. By proposing to keep the women to the pink lane, the rest of the lanes would become male only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I would suggest that more women are injured because a higher % of female drivers are opting for small cars that don't provide nearly as much protection in a crash situation.

I've never understood the logic that still persists in many households where Daddy has the good car and mammy & kids are in small car when limited crash protection.

Too many women still accept 'girly' cars too.

Fúck it, lets just give'em tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Will somebody pleeeeeeeesssse consider the transvestites? Can they straddle two lanes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Will somebody pleeeeeeeesssse consider the transvestites? Can they straddle two

Oooh, Matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

The lanes wouldn't need to be policed. Imagine the shame when your mates find out you were driving on pink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

jester77 wrote: »
    Well, indirectly they have. By proposing to keep the women to the pink lane, the rest of the lanes would become male only.

Hold on....Maybe there is merit to the idea after all? ;)

Fúck it, lets just give'em tanks.

Oh oh oh yes please :D

I'd be frickin deadly with a tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

My mother used drive at 10-20mph on the hard shoulder for years.

Until one day she was stopped by a Garda who pointed out to her that her licence was ten years out of date!

She was actually very lucky she didn't get fined for it and had to go through her whole driving test and the whole lot all over again. She still drives over kerbs and lands in a parking space, rather than reverses back into it like normal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Were women only insurers deemed illegal a while back due to discrimination?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

I agree with this proposal but not the female part...

In fact, why shouldn't road users that pay for an extra service not be granted less used lanes?!

humanji wrote: »
    Were women only insurers deemed illegal a while back due to discrimination?

Yes but they can still advertise as being for women. They have to give a quote and take a man but the idea is they get more women and few men will bother signing up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Dayum wrote: »
    In fact, why shouldn't road users that pay for an extra service not be granted less used lanes?!

Because those lanes would still be full of people who didn't play for the lanes!

The same crowd with no tax and insurance on their motors probably.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    My mother used drive at 10-20mph on the hard shoulder for years.

Until one day she was stopped by a Garda who pointed out to her that her licence was ten years out of date!

She was actually very lucky she didn't get fined for it and had to go through her whole driving test and the whole lot all over again. She still drives over kerbs and lands in a parking space, rather than reverses back into it like normal people.

Nothing to do with her gender. She's just a crap driver and a bit dozy by the sounds of it (not noticing her licence is 10 years out of date!? In some places that would land you in front of a judge and possibly even get you a driving ban.)

Yes but they can still advertise as being for women. They have to give a quote and take a man but the idea is they get more women and few men will bother signing up with them.

The law in Ireland on this isn't the same as the UK. I'd be interested to see what would happen if a complaint were made to the equality authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I'd be in favour of them, as long as it was mandatory for women to use them where provided.
    They should also put up a barrier alongside the lane to prevent the woman accidentally straying out of the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Nothing to do with her gender. She's just a crap driver and a bit dozy by the sounds of it (not noticing her licence is 10 years out of date!? In some places that would land you in front of a judge and possibly even get you a driving ban.)

She was just playing dumb. She knew it was out of date and didn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Ah of course nothing to do with her gender ST, it was just one of those anecdotes that came to mind when I saw the whole "pink lanes" thing, as the hard shoulder at the time was indeed pink tarmac :D

But yeah, she rarely ever drove anyway and I'm not sure she was even aware of the fact that her license had expired. How she hasn't been banned from driving for being a danger to other road users if not herself is quite frankly beyond me, and we've had words about this. While in one way one might see the humorous aspect of it, there is of course another aspect that if she doesn't care for her own safety, she at least has a duty and a responsibility towards other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

"Women only" car lanes proposed by UK insurer

Fair enough, providing someone provides some 'men only' parking spaces.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Just ban women from driving, much better plan to make the roads safer, look how well it's worked over here :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I hope women don't fall for this 'itsforwomen' type car insurance advertising, it's a lot more expensive than going for a non-"female branded" insurance. I've just typed my details, along with choosing the 'female' option, and the insurance is €300 more expensive than my current provider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

That It'sForWomen thing is just embarrassing. Not a hope I'd go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am with this insurance company and I am a man! They are esure but target audience is women. I got a renewal from esure that was the cheapest and went through TopCashBack for some nice cashback at the same renewal price from Shelias Wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, will women be allowed turn left?

How will paint keep them safe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I think I should get my own lane cause Im so great.

In fact Im so great I should get both lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Can you go in them if you drive like a pussy?

This will be giving a certain Kerry politician ideas about special roads for local farmers who might want to have a few pints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This will be giving a certain Kerry politician ideas about special roads for local farmers who might want to have a few pints.

Why don't they just use the fields?

Why don't they just use the fields?

For drinking or for driving?

For drinking or for driving?

Multi tasking :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Can we have a male only car park so women don't reverse in to our cars pulling out of parking spaces? If we can, then let them have their pink lanes

• Advertisement
Advertisement