Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very loud squeaky front wheel

Options
  • 11-12-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I have a Hornet 600 and the front has a very noticable loud squeak. At first I thought it was the brakes when I was out on it, but Ive noticed its very loud when I am just rolling it in neutral.
    Any ideas or tips ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Warped disc(s), sticking calipers, dry bearings, etc etc. Lift the front off the ground and spin it to see where the noise is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

newmember? wrote: »
    Warped disc(s), sticking calipers, dry bearings, etc etc. Lift the front off the ground and spin it to see where the noise is coming from.

Is any of them an expensive fix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Discs are expensive, Bearings not bad, rebuild calipers can be either cheap with a new seal kit or expensive for reman/new ones.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Discs are expensive, Bearings not bad, rebuild calipers can be either cheap with a new seal kit or expensive for reman/new ones.

Roughly how much would would a disc replace would be, also could you recommend a place in Dublin to do this, because City Spares, my usual go to guys seem to be too busy at the moment

discs are around 220ea

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    discs are around 220ea

So about €500 if it is the discs ?
    Ah fu*k that, wanna buy a nice Hornet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ah you'd find a spurious pair for that and just as good as OEM but not an upgrade, 300 all in or maybe less, but not 500. Contact Cotters, I'm not sure if they're back doing mechanic work but I'd imagine this is a job they'll take even if not. They will have spurious options for you.

Did you change the pads recently or have you checked their condition? Maybe change them first and see.

You need to accurately diagnose the problem, it may not be the discs.
    Guessing is no good.

Very helpful guy in Cotters recommends blasting the hell out of the discs with brake cleaning spray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Very helpful guy in Cotters recommends blasting the hell out of the discs with brake cleaning spray

Good stuff, get 2 cans. You can get through a can easily when cleaning. Make sure to give the calipers and pads a good blast, pads are probably sticking.

• Advertisement

Cleaning brakes is good but it’s no substitute for a proper service where the calipers are removed and cleaned and new lube applied to the sliders and pins, cleaning just helps remove deposits of brake dust.
    That said it may not be the source of the squeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Get yourself some surgical gloves for this. Brake cleaner is nasty stuff, don't mess with it.

Take calipers off, pads out, spray them, use a toothbrush to clean. Make sure the pistons move smoothly in and out. Pump the lever a couple of times to push them out, then push them in by hand. It might require serious effort, if they barely move at all then you might have corrosion behind the piston seals. Common issue. If you want, drain he brake fluid, take pistons out, seals out, clean the bores as well as you can, install new seals with some red rubber grease or brake fluid to help them go in snag-free, then rebuild by putting the pistons back in nice and cleanly. Put the brake caliper back together with the pads and pins etc (small bit of copper grease on the pins, maybe a teeny dab on the BACK of the pads), then new brake fluid and bleed the system.

If it still squeaks then at least you know you've a good brake caliper!

Other things could be wheel bearings - get the front wheel in the air somehow and pull and tug at the wheel. Is there play? If so, bearings. Listen for weird noises (don't mistake brake pad sounds for fecked bearings though).

Does the front brake judder a bit when coming to a stop? Could be warped discs in that case. Get the caliper off and do a proper clean and lube of that first though. Far cheaper!

Good MCN article on doing the calipers here: https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/jan26-05-how-to-service-brake-calipers/

Thanks all for the advice
    I spayed a whole can all over the front on Saturday, and the sqeak is gone today

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Get the front wheel off the ground and spin it. If you hear the squeak, it is more than likely the front wheel bearings.

This is an easy fix. If you are a competent home mechanic all you need, by way of special tooling, is a long flat screw driver to drive out the first bearing. Any shop will have Hornet wheel bearings.

If not, any shop will do a ride in ride out with the bearings costing about €12 each. Should be no more than an hour's labour, so you should get out for less than €150.

A squeak is highly unlikely to be discs, as the wear there tends to be more rattly in nature.

All the advice above is valid, but from what you've described, I'd bet on bearings, and it is no big deal.

Advertisement