Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled parking misuse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

It is also morally abhorrent.

I know of at least two people with blue badges that to the general populous "do not look disabled" yet they are.

I'd be careful about naming and shaming someone with a valid right to use the space.

I do not name and shame anyone that displays the blue badge the way they are supposed to, where did you get that idea?

But if someone parks in a disabled space and has no blue badge displayed, they are not legally allowed to use that space, and I will certainly address them if I see them, and they definitely should be named and shamed, as then they are antisocial and very selfish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes but cyclists think every inch of pavement, road, pedestrianised bridge etc should be able to be used.

The person last Friday outside Bar Rua driving on to the pavement on Clarendon St and having to brake to avoid - and scaring the life out of - a disabled man certainly couldn't care less.

Funny that, a poster in Accessibility tarring everyone with one brush. The one place where you think you wouldn't get it.

When you see a 40yo man in hivis and helmet still using the uneven path instead of smooth tarmac think about why that might be. How unfriendly are our roads? /OT

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Looking at the recent #operationEnable tweets it really does seem to be 1 or maybe 2 Gardai in Dublin that are enforcing it, thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

ED E wrote: »
    Looking at the recent #operationEnable tweets it really does seem to be 1 or maybe 2 Gardai in Dublin that are enforcing it, thats it.

Which is a travesty, I have to add.
    Law enforcement in Ireland is just far below all expectations. People know they can get away with things, as there is no one available to write them the fine they deserve. And if a disabled person like my husband addresses offenders, my husband is the one that gets the verbal abuse.

World turned upside down....... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ED E wrote: »
    Funny that, a poster in Accessibility tarring everyone with one brush. The one place where you think you wouldn't get it.

When you see a 40yo man in hivis and helmet still using the uneven path instead of smooth tarmac think about why that might be. How unfriendly are our roads? /OT

Well if in front of my work building - because the street is one way and apparently the pavement isn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any update from the OP how everything turned out?

Seeing as she hasn't posted in over 9 months, I'd say you'll be waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Maybe I'm getting cranky as I approach the end of my forties or else I'm just getting more annoyed at how regular this is happening but I had another discussion with a guy in Lidl Dungarvan last Sunday morning.

It was early, car park about 25% full. Car pulls in as I'm getting out of my car, 2 guys in their mid 20s, passengenr gets out and goes in to the shop, driver stays in the car.

Conversation goes like this:

Me: These are disabled parking spots, you need a badge to park here
    Driver: I am disabled, I have Lyme disease

Me: You don't have a badge displayed, the law says you need a badge
    Driver: It's at home, do you want me to go home at get it (sarcastically)?

Me: Well yes or move in to a space that's free
    He didn't know what to say but as I was walking away as I could hear him shouting "Will I go home and get it, will I go home and get it".

What annoys me is that he wasn't leaving the car so he didn't need to park so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Roanmore wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting cranky as I approach the end of my forties or else I'm just getting more annoyed at how regular this is happening but I had another discussion with a guy in Lidl Dungarvan last Sunday morning.

It was early, car park about 25% full. Car pulls in as I'm getting out of my car, 2 guys in their mid 20s, passengenr gets out and goes in to the shop, driver stays in the car.

Conversation goes like this:

Me: These are disabled parking spots, you need a badge to park here
    Driver: I am disabled, I have Lyme disease

Me: You don't have a badge displayed, the law says you need a badge
    Driver: It's at home, do you want me to go home at get it (sarcastically)?

Me: Well yes or move in to a space that's free
    He didn't know what to say but as I was walking away as I could hear him shouting "Will I go home and get it, will I go home and get it".

What annoys me is that he wasn't leaving the car so he didn't need to park so close.

One would imagine that if you had the blue badge you would keep it in the car and not in the house. Still I would be wary of confronting anyone. The verbal abuse wouldn't bother but it could turn very nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

It is also morally abhorrent.

I know of at least two people with blue badges that to the general populous "do not look disabled" yet they are.

I'd be careful about naming and shaming someone with a valid right to use the space.

Completely agree, you have to be careful as there as so many invisible conditions where people look perfectly normal.

I look normal, young and able but I am not due to rheumatoid arthritis and I have a blue badge. But even with my blue badge displayed, I have been confronted a number of times where people didn't bother to check the dashboard and just assumed I wasn't entitled to park there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I NEVER use a badge space without my badge. How could someone who really needs it not have their badge with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Nettlles

It's so annoying, I drive a bus for the brothers of charity, and one day I stared a guy down who was sitting in his car reading the news paper...no badge. He moved but wasn't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

If parent ignoring decent behaviour and cursing at you they are leading their kids with bad example. Don't worry about popularity, you have too much to lose by making yourself popular with ignorant people. Get the guards or type disabled parking misuse into YouTube there are plenty of karma on there.

Advertisement