Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russian accents/dialects

• 06-07-2018 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭

You don't have to be 6 years old to loose an accent. There are adults who can lose their original accents when using a foreign language: it typically gets harder as you enter into your twenties. There are also voice coaches etc who can teach you to remove your accent (extreme, but possible). In Russia, for instance throughout the soviet union this was done to standardise speech of the countries that made up the Soviet Union. If you travel to Latvia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moscow, Ekaterinburg, Vladivostok - the accent is all the same; there are almost zero distinguishing factors.

I also lived in Russia from my late teens and I speak Russian without a 'foreign' accent. If anything, it can sometimes be noticed that I am not a native speaker usually based on expressions that I might use that are not natural but not from the pronunciation or accent itself.

I've just come across this thread. I hope it's not too late to post. I find what you say interesting. A tour guide in St. Petersburg told me that she couldn't tell a Russian's place of origin from their accent. I thought it must be because of huge population transfers, forcible transplantations etc after the Revolution, especially in Stalin's time. I'm fascinated that such a huge country should have less regional differences than the Netherlands, a small, flat country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

feargale wrote: »
    I've just come across this thread. I hope it's not too late to post. I find what you say interesting. A tour guide in St. Petersburg told me that she couldn't tell a Russian's place of origin from their accent. I thought it must be because of huge population transfers, forcible transplantations etc after the Revolution, especially in Stalin's time. I'm fascinated that such a huge country should have less regional differences than the Netherlands, a small, flat country.

Definitely not too late. It's a topic I'm quite passionate about! :) It truly is fascinating.

Now - with that said, Russian isn't exempt of regionalisms but regionalisms and accents are totally different things. Regionalisms are also minuscule comparatively speaking when you take the example that you gave of the Netherlands, or even Ireland for that matter; think how easy it is in Ireland to distinguish the difference between a 'Dub' and a Kerryman yet a person from St Petersburg and a Person from Vladivostok (9,600km apart as the crow flies) are almost, if not, identical.

Russian 'accents' of which there are 'none' (in effect) are often segregated differently. In Europe generally, we focus on geographical areas: Dub vs Kerry, Southern Italy vs Northern, Southern English vs Northern, Glasgow vs Edinburgh, Bavaria vs Bonn etc. In Russia, ways of speaking are separated into two: Muscovite/Educated and Provincial (countryside).

As I mentioned I lived in provincial Russia quite a long time and my friends from Moscow would often comment: oh, you have a provincial accent but a provincial accent is pretty much a standard accent. Muscovites are known to have a particularly long 'a' sound in place of the sound 'o' in Russian. (SpasibAA instead of Sp-a-sib-uh: Spasibo). Replacing accents is often vocabulary: in a very general way, 'posh' muscovites (note the posh in inverted commas. It's probably a bad choice of word) will sometimes opt for more bookish, expressive and flavourful language (adjectives, verbs, nouns). This, in my opinion, has more to do with portraying an image of self to add an elitist Muscovite flare to ones speech but it is not a dialect nor an accent.

The one exception

There is one exception to the accentless country of Russia and that is the regions on the border of the Ukraine and in the far south of Russia (Rostov-on-Don, for example) where they are known to ''okat''). 'Okat'' is a verb in Russian which means to use lots of 'O' sounds. They are also known to pronounce 'G' as 'H'. Generally speaking, Russians view this as peasant speak. It should also be noted that again, this is not an accent, this is just a difference in pronounciation. The 'O' sounds and the G/H rule is actually the standard norm in Ukraine and Belarus. Compare the below sentences: (I've written these phonetically to try and distinguish between accent/pronunciation/dialect but in reality these would always be written the exact same way).

I live in the big city

MSK: Ya zhivu v bAl'shom gorAde
    Provincial/Standard: Ya zhivu v b-uh-l'shom go-r-uh-de)
    Ukraine, Belarus, Southern Russia, Peasant: Ya zhivu v bOlshOm HOrOde

Don't quote me on this but I do think that St Petersburg might also be partial to the 'Okat' sounds but I'm not entirely sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

feargale wrote: »

If you watch this video on accents in Russia, you'll notice that all of the speakers are 'old' (80+ probably and recorded in the 80s or early 90s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StGiY-Wq5rs

Accents are not a modern day phenomena in Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to own thread from a thread about Spanish

Advertisement