Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 October Update - XPS L502X won't sleep when lid closed

Options
  • 20-11-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping you can help on this one. I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 15 L502X when Windows 7 support came to an end.

As the OS didn't work well with the built in Windows 10 drivers I installed all the OEM drivers for Windows 8 (as the model isn't officially supported by Dell) - and from January the laptop was working very well.

This changed when I downloaded the October update where I first noticed all the Power Plan options (Power Saver, Balanced and High Performance) disappeared with only Balanced left. That doesn't bother me too much but it leads to the second problem - where the laptop won't go to sleep when I close the lid.

It's a small nuisance but, even with the option selected on Control Panel (when lid is closed -> sleep) the laptop stays on, as if the lid had not been closed at all.

Has anyone encountered either of these problems?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Let's try to get your power options back first, that seems the easier fix, and it might actually restore the sleep functionality.

Follow the advice here and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Thank you for the help so far. The command prompts brought back the plans but even power saver won't recognise that I want the laptop to sleep when the lid is closed.

The commands (hibernate and shut down as well as sleep) work fine for the power button but none of the commands work on the lid option.

I did a clean install to see if it would help - it was due anyway. Sadly no dice.

Any ideas ? Sad as Windows 10 was working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

FGR wrote: »
    Thank you for the help so far. The command prompts brought back the plans but even power saver won't recognise that I want the laptop to sleep when the lid is closed.

The commands (hibernate and shut down as well as sleep) work fine for the power button but none of the commands work on the lid option.

I did a clean install to see if it would help - it was due anyway. Sadly no dice.

Any ideas ? Sad as Windows 10 was working well.
    Magnet test perhaps. Not sure where is "reed switch" located on your model

Advertisement