Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SS Mesh building guide in 'For Dummies' format

Options
  • 18-04-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Having an RSST and a few other similars which I haven't dared to touch yet, I am at the stage of actually looking into rebuilds with mesh, as opposed to just thinking about it. So on a quick search I found this and started this thread for myself and others who are currently slightly intimidated by the notion :)

http://vapenewsmagazine.com/february-2014/how-to-prepare-a-stainless-steel-wick-and-wrap-a-coil-for-a-genesis-style-rebuildable-atomizer

Pre rolled SS mesh is I know available to buy from some overseas vendors - might be an idea to buy some before a DIY, just to get an idea.

Question on Kanthal:
    When I oxidize it chars/goes black - I try wipe it off with tissue but it still mostly remains, the fact that some does come away on the tissue indicates it's a 'loose' residue (and surely not v healthy - think soot from a fire - is this typical? (because on .15 Kanthal this didn't happen but on my current use of .28 it does) :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

My .28 and .32mm does the same...turns black. Always has, can never figure out how people on utube dryburn their coils and end up with shiny silver coils. I use micro coils for as long as I can and they look rusty..not black but brown.

Maybe try a micro coil with cotton in the rsst for starters. Alot easier than mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

RiPtrippers has a video on his YouTube channel telling you how to clean your coils. Basically, take out the wick. Dry burn for a good 15-20 seconds to get it nice and toasty almost white hot and run it under a tap. He used a dripper but I'm sure the procedure can be easily applied to genesis atty's so long as you empty the tank.

Seen that vid, I torch my wire before I build a coil so its almost black before its made. Maybe wires larger than .32mm are less prone to this.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Seen that vid, I torch my wire before I build a coil so its almost black before its made. Maybe wires larger than .32mm are less prone to this.

That's purely just for manipulation of the wire, no!? If you're gonna try washing the coil in the future, maybe torch it with a blowtorch instead of using the mod. Surely be hotter than the battery. Probably advisable to try shield the coil so you don't burn screws, o-rings etc... So that option probably not that viable :-/

Ha, I melted the insulators in an A7 before because I torch the silica and wick before and after I make and fit the coil to get rid of any oils etc. that the wick might pick up.

With micocoils I dry burn them and use a little toothpick thing with bristles to clean it. I've made micro coils without torching them first and they do stay cleaner looking but I've gotten into the habbit of torching the wire, then torching the coil, then fitting it and burn and squeeze with a tweezers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

With micocoils I dry burn them and use a little toothpick thing with bristles to clean it.

TePe dental brushes perhaps? You can get 'em in the pharmacy.

tepe-idb.jpg

Where are people buying their mesh by the way? Also, how often do you change mesh and is there any way of extending lifespan by cleaning etc?

Dats dem :-) blue for small diameter coils and green for larger ones. Tesco sell a cheaper version but just as good.

Last time I bought mesh was from TBS but that was a looooong time ago.

Dats dem :-) blue for small diameter coils and green for larger ones. Tesco sell a cheaper version but just as good.

Last time I bought mesh was from TBS but that was a looooong time ago.

How long should a mesh wick last?

Not big on mesh myself but I've heard of people using the same mesh wick for 6+ months with regular cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Not big on mesh myself but I've heard of people using the same mesh wick for 6+ months with regular cleaning.

Me too. That's why I'm (beginning to get) so interested. Sick of refilling, recharging and rebuilding = frustration + laziness = 'create shortcut' ... sigh ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

csi vegas wrote: »
    Me too. That's why I'm (beginning to get) so interested. Sick of refilling, recharging and rebuilding = frustration + laziness = 'create shortcut' ... sigh ...
    I am interested in seeing how you get on with this one, I avoided Genisis style atties because most people did say there was a lot of faffing about with them but a build that could last six months with some cleaning could change my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

pajopearl wrote: »
    RiPtrippers has a video on his YouTube channel telling you how to clean your coils. Basically, take out the wick. Dry burn for a good 15-20 seconds to get it nice and toasty almost white hot and run it under a tap. He used a dripper but I'm sure the procedure can be easily applied to genesis atty's so long as you empty the tank.

That is impressive to say the least, have to try next rebuild....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

There is also the stainless steel rope option with genesis atties. One of those will last you until the next Ice age!

Advertisement