Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nursing studies fetac 5

• 13-04-2014 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey I'm doing this course and have the exams soon and don't know what to study! Do any of ye have tips for anatomy and physiology and human growth and development and nursing theory thank :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Sinny2

Hey I'm doing this course and have the exams soon and don't know what to study! Do any of ye have tips for anatomy and physiology and human growth and development and nursing theory thank :)

I done this course also. Got 9 out of 9 dustinctions. I didnt find the exams hard but i never missed a day on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 20 penright

Who are you doing the modules with?

I done them with fetac last year through a local vocational college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

Sinny2 wrote: »
    I done this course also. Got 9 out of 9 dustinctions. I didnt find the exams hard but i never missed a day on the course

That's brilliant do you have any recommendations to study for the test as I am so nervous about anatomy and physiology and human growth :) thank you

That's brilliant do you have any recommendations to study for the test as I am so nervous about anatomy and physiology and human growth :) thank you

I have old papers at home and i will have a look at what was asked. For anatomy and physiology focus on main things you did in class. I studied every little detail was up all night and really basic stuff was asked in the exam, i did biology for the leaving cert though so maybe thats why i thought it was pretty basic. The heart, kidneys, reproductive system and skeletal long (TS of a bone) was asked as long questions for us. The short questions were quiet simple and does not require paragraphs so dont waste time writing aload of information if for example your asked for components of blood. Some may only require one word answers. Human growth and dev i loved this subject. For this for us you could not really give wrong answers, say if you had a case study whatever recommendations we give was ok not really wrong as long as we backed them up and explained why we gave them. Hope some of this helps! :) where are you doing the course?

• Advertisement

I have old papers at home and i will have a look at what was asked. For anatomy and physiology focus on main things you did in class. I studied every little detail was up all night and really basic stuff was asked in the exam, i did biology for the leaving cert though so maybe thats why i thought it was pretty basic. The heart, kidneys, reproductive system and skeletal long (TS of a bone) was asked as long questions for us. The short questions were quiet simple and does not require paragraphs so dont waste time writing aload of information if for example your asked for components of blood. Some may only require one word answers. Human growth and dev i loved this subject. For this for us you could not really give wrong answers, say if you had a case study whatever recommendations we give was ok not really wrong as long as we backed them up and explained why we gave them. Hope some of this helps! :) where are you doing the course?

Thank you so much I'm doing the course in Waterford and hope to do nursing in September, I did my leaving last year but did not have enough points to do nursing, what about you :)

Also after the a & p exam i was nearly crying. I was up all night before studying and knew i had messed up a few questions even really simple things. My assignments were good though and i still got a distinction so if you cant answer some the exam isnt everything either.

Thank you so much I'm doing the course in Waterford and hope to do nursing in September, I did my leaving last year but did not have enough points to do nursing, what about you :)

i done it in wexford last year as i didnt get enough points either. It is extremely hard to get into nursing through fetac i didnt believe this till i woke up gutted the morning offers came out, no1 that did the course got a place through fetac but many mature students did. My advice would be look at the quotas reserved for nursing in different colleges and apply there. (dublin uni's have very little places reserved and im sure thousands are competing for these places)

Also after the a & p exam i was nearly crying. I was up all night before studying and knew i had messed up a few questions even really simple things. My assignments were good though and i still got a distinction so if you cant answer some the exam isnt everything either.

Thanks, did you go further with the nursing :) how was the nursing theory and practise exam, I'm sorry for all the questions, it's just really helpful :)

Thanks, did you go further with the nursing :) how was the nursing theory and practise exam, I'm sorry for all the questions, it's just really helpful :)

No i didnt get in either from fetac :( but im applying again this year :D the practical exam was really easy just dont be nervous (make sure to wash your hands before beginning) and talk to the person and explain to them what your doing at each step. Practice recording the obs as this can seem easy but while trying to do it under pressure can really phase u if your not really familar with recording the obs. The theory exam was really basic stuff again, infection control was a big thing on our exam and abbreviations, clinical terms for ex stroke, clots

• Advertisement

i done it in wexford last year as i didnt get enough points either. It is extremely hard to get into nursing through fetac i didnt believe this till i woke up gutted the morning offers came out, no1 that did the course got a place through fetac but many mature students did. My advice would be look at the quotas reserved for nursing in different colleges and apply there. (dublin uni's have very little places reserved and im sure thousands are competing for these places)

I looked up the quotas it is very limited, I'm so sorry, would you consider going to England, I was looking into that this year with a couple of friends from the course, but they dropped so then I kind of drifted from the idea of England, now me and another friend in the course are after coming to the conclusion that if we don't get it in august that we will go for February intake. I'm willing to go in February as i will be just 19 :) did u do social care as the nursing also opens up fetac 6 social care :)

I looked up the quotas it is very limited, I'm so sorry, would you consider going to England, I was looking into that this year with a couple of friends from the course, but they dropped so then I kind of drifted from the idea of England, now me and another friend in the course are after coming to the conclusion that if we don't get it in august that we will go for February intake. I'm willing to go in February as i will be just 19 :) did u do social care as the nursing also opens up fetac 6 social care :)

I tried ucas too but was unsucessful as they dont accept fetac i only applied to northern ireland. My boyfriend is doing mental health nursing in Uni of Ulster and loves it though :) one of the girls went to london to do nursing and loves it as well :) nope not yet just waiting to see will i get it in august too and if not i have a place in waterford doing psychology put down. where are you applying to here?

That's the quota http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/FETACNursingQuota.pdf
    Right now I have UCC as my first choice then wit and dcu, I'd love ul as a lot of my friends are down there but there is only 2 taken for general, I'll take anywhere to be honest, what nursing do you want to do I want general but have psychiatric nursing as well I'd love id nursing but heard not many jobs in that field, but I'd be happy with any kind of nursing :) I'm going changing my cao again in May when it opens I think I'm going to put dcu as my first as 10 percent are nursing :)

Your probably aware already but just in case not we dont have to wait till the middle of august for offers we get ours the very start of august :)

I tried ucas too but was unsucessful as they dont accept fetac i only applied to northern ireland. My boyfriend is doing mental health nursing in Uni of Ulster and loves it though :) one of the girls went to london to do nursing and loves it as well :) nope not yet just waiting to see will i get it in august too and if not i have a place in waterford doing psychology put down. where are you applying to here?

That's the quota http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/FETACNursingQuota.pdf
    Right now I have UCC as my first choice then wit and dcu, I'd love ul as a lot of my friends are down there but there is only 2 taken for general, I'll take anywhere to be honest, what nursing do you want to do I want general but have psychiatric nursing as well I'd love id nursing but heard not many jobs in that field, but I'd be happy with any kind of nursing I'm going changing my cao again in May when it opens I think I'm going to put dcu as my first as 10 percent are nursing

Your probably aware already but just in case not we dont have to wait till the middle of august for offers we get ours the very start of august :)

Really cool my college said we will know out results some time in June, did u get your results before your offers :)

yeah its very little places alright :/ i think im going to put down dundalk i.t as my first choice in may when it opens again. They accept 17 people overall and i imagine not as many people would apply there and then dcu as 2nd. Dundalk have a brilliant reputation for nursing. just keep our fingers crossed :) id accept anywhere as well :)

Really cool my college said we will know out results some time in June, did u get your results before your offers :)

yeah we got them in june as well :) im trying for either general or psychiatric nursing :) colleges do sometimes allow students to transfer between nursing courses if your accepted on one :)

yeah its very little places alright :/ i think im going to put down dundalk i.t as my first choice in may when it opens again. They accept 17 people overall and i imagine not as many people would apply there and then dcu as 2nd. Dundalk have a brilliant reputation for nursing. just keep our fingers crossed :) id accept anywhere as well :)

Same to you, I wish I was 23 so I could go apply the mature route that way u are more guaranteed, the fetac system is a joke though 9 destinations you should have got a place. Hopefully this year is going to be our year, there is like 4 in my class going for nursing. When I was going for my interview for nursing I was talking to a girl in child care and she told my her friend got wit, she told me she did not get all 8 destinations, I ran up UCC like 3 months ago they said its only like the lotto :)

Same to you, I wish I was 23 so I could go apply the mature route that way u are more guaranteed, the fetac system is a joke though 9 destinations you should have got a place. Hopefully this year is going to be our year, there is like 4 in my class going for nursing. When I was going for my interview for nursing I was talking to a girl in child care and she told my her friend got wit, she told me she did not get all 8 destinations, I ran up UCC like 3 months ago they said its only like the lotto :)

yeah im only 20 so cant go mature either for ages lol.. Ah jeez not many must have applied for wit that year. 8 modules is all thats required for fetac award so if u have 8 distinctions or more everyone goes into the lotto and picked at random who gets a place but anyone with 8 distinctions or more will get it before someone with 7 and so on. I rang wit last year when i didnt get a place as they were my first choice and tge lady told me they only allocated 1 place for each branch of nursing so 3 in total even though they quote 5 :p

• Advertisement

yeah im only 20 so cant go mature either for ages lol.. Ah jeez not many must have applied for wit that year. 8 modules is all thats required for fetac award so if u have 8 distinctions or more everyone goes into the lotto and picked at random who gets a place but anyone with 8 distinctions or more will get it before someone with 7 and so on. I rang wit last year when i didnt get a place as they were my first choice and tge lady told me they only allocated 1 place for each branch of nursing so 3 in total even though they quote 5 :p

It's unreal my teacher told us minimum 5 destinations but it's better if u have 8 ucd say they will take 5 https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/fetac.ezc but you must have anatomy human growth and nursing theory, so it's a complete shock to me that u didn't get in, in the fetac website like you only need like 3 distinctions for social care, nursing is the hardest to get into :) would u every consider England, if I have to go to England it's Edinburgh I was completely set to go only thing is you need b1 in maths but I'm repeating my maths this year incase I don't get ireland :)

It's unreal my teacher told us minimum 5 destinations but it's better if u have 8 ucd say they will take 5 https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/fetac.ezc but you must have anatomy human growth and nursing theory, so it's a complete shock to me that u didn't get in, in the fetac website like you only need like 3 distinctions for social care, nursing is the hardest to get into :) would u every consider England, if I have to go to England it's Edinburgh I was completely set to go only thing is you need b1 in maths but I'm repeating my maths this year incase I don't get ireland :)

yeah they all say thats the minimum requirements but people with higher will get in first bit like the lc points :) dar was 5 of us with 8 distinctions last year and didnt get a place. I have enough points to get into dundalk and letterkenny i.t psychiatric nursing going on last yrs points but didnt have them down on my cao last yr. dont no if id go to england im too much of a homebird i think :p:D but if all else fails i probably would :)

yeah they all say thats the minimum requirements but people with higher will get in first bit like the lc points :) dar was 5 of us with 8 distinctions last year and didnt get a place. I have enough points to get into dundalk and letterkenny i.t psychiatric nursing going on last yrs points but didnt have them down on my cao last yr. dont no if id go to england im too much of a homebird i think :p:D but if all else fails i probably would :)

Hopefully it works out for the best, do u have a back up plan, mine is prob to do the arts in wit as I got that out of leaving cert points but wanted nursing or go to England , I don't think I'll ever chance fetac to be honest wbu :) at least u know u have the requirements already :)

Hopefully it works out for the best, do u have a back up plan, mine is prob to do the arts in wit as I got that out of leaving cert points but wanted nursing or go to England , I don't think I'll ever chance fetac to be honest wbu :) at least u know u have the requirements already :)

yeah fetac is jus disgraceful the nursing course through fetac is supposed to be the hardest and takes aload of work. If i dont get it id probably use psychology in wit as back up or social care level 8 :) i got offered psych last year but didnt go for it but this year i probably would :)

yeah fetac is jus disgraceful the nursing course through fetac is supposed to be the hardest and takes aload of work. If i dont get it id probably use psychology in wit as back up or social care level 8 :) i got offered psych last year but didnt go for it but this year i probably would :)

You'll be fine did u put down mostly all nursing last year, cause I'm debating weather or not to put all nursing :)

Hi All,

For A&P exam can anyone explain in plain english the above for me

Thanks
    P

You'll be fine did u put down mostly all nursing last year, cause I'm debating weather or not to put all nursing :)

Yep i put first 9 as nursing and just my 10th as psychology :)

penright wrote: »
    Hi All,

For A&P exam can anyone explain in plain english the above for me

Thanks
    P

Hey are you just looking for definitions of A&P? :)

hey skinny

have you done the anatomy and physiology exam?

what questions came up?

• Advertisement

hey skinny

have you done the anatomy and physiology exam?

what questions came up?

The heart, reproductive system, the kidneys and skeletal system (TS of a long bone diagram) was asked as long questions. Short questions were pretty basic, definitions and examples of diseases asociated with certain organs and name a cause etc. i did it last year though and your tutor sets the paper so could be asked totally different. Have a look back at page 1 :)

Yep i put first 9 as nursing and just my 10th as psychology :)

Cool I dont think I'll put down all nursing just in case! I'd love nursing but the quotes for nursing is so slim. I'm kind of sorry in a way I didn't take the arts cause I have the stress of the cao again :)

Cool I dont think I'll put down all nursing just in case! I'd love nursing but the quotes for nursing is so slim. I'm kind of sorry in a way I didn't take the arts cause I have the stress of the cao again :)

Im just going to put first 9 as nursing and 10th as something i no i will defo get with lc points. Im thinking social care in wit :) u probably already no but you can turn your fetac award into lc points through whats called the pilot scheme. Universities dont use the pilot scheme but almost all institutes of technologies do. If you get 8 distinctions thats the equivalant of 400 lc points to play around with for courses. The only courses that dont run under the pilot scheme in i.t's that im aware of is just the nursing courses.

Im just going to put first 9 as nursing and 10th as something i no i will defo get with lc points. Im thinking social care in wit :) u probably already no but you can turn your fetac award into lc points through whats called the pilot scheme. Universities dont use the pilot scheme but almost all institutes of technologies do. If you get 8 distinctions thats the equivalant of 400 lc points to play around with for courses. The only courses that dont run under the pilot scheme in i.t's that im aware of is just the nursing courses.

Cool does that mean like marketing in cit is like 250 could I put that down even though it would not be relevant to nursing. A friend of mine is doing social care in wit and loves it, it's meant to be very interesting. I think that's what I'll put down on my cao if I don't get nursing. :) in year 2 they go on work placement for a couple of weeks and all.

Cool does that mean like marketing in cit is like 250 could I put that down even though it would not be relevant to nursing. A friend of mine is doing social care in wit and loves it, it's meant to be very interesting. I think that's what I'll put down on my cao if I don't get nursing. :) in year 2 they go on work placement for a couple of weeks and all.

Yeah exactly :) i only got 370 points in the lc but still got offered psychology in waterford last yr which was 390 points bcoz Fetac was converted into 400 lc points :) thats what im going to do too the social care degree looks really good just in case dont get nursing :)

Yeah exactly :) i only got 370 points in the lc but still got offered psychology in waterford last yr which was 390 points bcoz Fetac was converted into 400 lc points :) thats what im going to do too the social care degree looks really good just in case dont get nursing :)

I'd say the same for me! Wit is meant to be a brilliant college if I don't get nursing, I'll do social care their is meant to be a load of job opportunities, them again depends what I will get off my cao. I heard because of my friends down in wit brilliant college but the nightlife down their is meant to be nothing compared to cork city, according to them :) I can only use pilot scheme for institutes though? :)

• Advertisement

I'd say the same for me! Wit is meant to be a brilliant college if I don't get nursing, I'll do social care their is meant to be a load of job opportunities, them again depends what I will get off my cao. I heard because of my friends down in wit brilliant college but the nightlife down their is meant to be nothing compared to cork city, according to them :) I can only use pilot scheme for institutes though? :)

yeah my best friend is in ucc and the nightlife is supposd to b brilliant :D yeah only institutes run the pilot scheme but im almost sure dublin i.t doesnt but every other one does.

yeah my best friend is in ucc and the nightlife is supposd to b brilliant :D yeah only institutes run the pilot scheme but im almost sure dublin i.t doesnt but every other one does.

That's good the piolot scheme, I've my first test Wednesday nursing theory, I'm so nervous, some of the girls in my college today are after chAnging their minds and not putting down nursin, that means only 3 including myself wants nursing the fetac route :)

That's good the piolot scheme, I've my first test Wednesday nursing theory, I'm so nervous, some of the girls in my college today are after chAnging their minds and not putting down nursin, that means only 3 including myself wants nursing the fetac route :)

id hate to be going through all the exams again its not so much the exams but the waiting for the results, thats as bad as waiting for cao offers :P but i worried so much about the exams and ended up flying through them :) yeah id fill up all 9 choices with nursing and then just one back up that you'd know yu'd get if nursing is defo what you want to do. Last year the amount applying for nursing dropped so could be the same again this year and drop some more hopefully! :)

id hate to be going through all the exams again its not so much the exams but the waiting for the results, thats as bad as waiting for cao offers :P but i worried so much about the exams and ended up flying through them :) yeah id fill up all 9 choices with nursing and then just one back up that you'd know yu'd get if nursing is defo what you want to do. Last year the amount applying for nursing dropped so could be the same again this year and drop some more hopefully! :)

I'd say defo will cause I found out today that another person is not going for it, and anther friend thinks she do social care, so it's just me that wants nursing the fetac route in my class. It amazes me hiw many people changed their minds in the last week or 2 😱

I'd say defo will cause I found out today that another person is not going for it, and anther friend thinks she do social care, so it's just me that wants nursing the fetac route in my class. It amazes me hiw many people changed their minds in the last week or 2 😱

ya thats alot to change there mind just as there finishin up the course :o hopefully not near as many will apply this year

• Advertisement

ya thats alot to change there mind just as there finishin up the course :o hopefully not near as many will apply this year

True I'm just finished my exams just done infection control and very happy with it. I had anatomy the other day and not that happy with it. Nobody in my class are like I only felt it went ok but I gave a good assignment. Human growth and nursing theory went great also and safety and health. :) do u mind me asking when did u find out your results :)

True I'm just finished my exams just done infection control and very happy with it. I had anatomy the other day and not that happy with it. Nobody in my class are like I only felt it went ok but I gave a good assignment. Human growth and nursing theory went great also and safety and health. :) do u mind me asking when did u find out your results :)

ah thats brilliant to hear :) i wasnt that happy with A&P either and was really surprised when i gotta distinction so the assignment really does help bring up the marks :) it was near the start of june about the 9th or 10th i think ... We got them out in the post :)

I have my anatomy exam on sat.

What came up on yours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't ask what came up on exams.

SORRY I WONT AGAIN.ITS A BOARDS DISCUSSION IS IT NOT FOR TO ASK QUESTIONS LIKE THIS???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

SORRY I WONT AGAIN.ITS A BOARDS DISCUSSION IS IT NOT FOR TO ASK QUESTIONS LIKE THIS???

To ask what questions are coming up in your exams? Seriously? This is what you think boards is for?

First of all stop been so rude

I know my stuff for my exam.

I was only looking for ideas for what might come up.

Dont message me again on here

ah thats brilliant to hear :) i wasnt that happy with A&P either and was really surprised when i gotta distinction so the assignment really does help bring up the marks :) it was near the start of june about the 9th or 10th i think ... We got them out in the post :)

Hopefully the same with me. I want nursing so much like. It's all I ever wanted to do. Ahh the waiting for the exams is terrible. Was it fetac that sent the or your college. :)

I have my anatomy exam on sat.

What came up on yours?

Hey the urinary or digestive never came up the bones and muscles the sketal never came up the womb came up and had to draw a diagram. Say the difference between the bones like long bone etc. I was asked about joints the heart never came up. I'm sure your tutor makes up the exams so it properly different for your exam :) hope I helped and good luck with the exam :)

Hopefully the same with me. I want nursing so much like. It's all I ever wanted to do. Ahh the waiting for the exams is terrible. Was it fetac that sent the or your college. :)

its the school that sent our results but its from fetac they have it stamped and all and bout 2 weeks later we got our certificate, the school sent that out too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement