Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses no basements in Ireland

Options
  • 13-02-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi guys,
    I ve been in Ireland for about 7 years.
    lived in some place before... Germany , Belgium , The Netherlands , Hungary
    Lived in some places in Dublin Ireland also and i noticed
    none of the houses had basements...

In all the countries i ve lived before all the house had basements.
    People tell me that this is because that Ireland is a big rock.
    So you can t build to deep. It could get dangerous

That doesn't make sense does it ?

There should be another explanation right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Over here where I live 99% of houses have basements and foundations deep in the ground. Normally a house have foundations about 3.5 metres deep. This should allow stability and resistance to earthquakes as well.
    But is some areas and regions of the country, houses have no deep foundations, let alone basements, and this is because the ground is wet and water runs under the surface of the ground. In some extreme cases a shallow digging in the ground could reveal some water.
    I think that Ireland is in the same situation. The ground is often soft and boggy and couldn't allow digging.
    Just my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FuzzyCraic

Ok that explains thank you very much
    Have a very nice day !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This has some great information in it and should be what you're after :)

http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/127276-why-no-basements-houses-ireland-generally-anyway.html

Thanks man great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

irishmover wrote: »
    This has some great information in it and should be what you're after :)

http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/127276-why-no-basements-houses-ireland-generally-anyway.html

Useful link but not everyhting that is said there should be intended as true.
    Houses with basements can have dampness issues everywhere, In Ireland or in Sicily. That's why the walls of the basement (or cellar) are covered with a layer of tar on the side towards the ground or are built with double walls and cavity.
    Over here where I live all houses have their own basement, and it's a very handy feature.
    More, all houses have their own garage built underground, at the basement level, because this way the volume of the garage isn't counted in for the building permission and houses can be built as large as possible according to local laws (cubic capacity or building volumes, I don't know if you're familiar with this concept).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I though older houses had basements, around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Elmo wrote: »
    I though older houses had basements, around Dublin?

I used to do a lot of work in older houses in Dublin and never saw one with a basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

The likes of the Georgian houses in Dublin city centre do (many of them, not all).

Thanks all
    have a nice day

Advertisement