Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAF Jet Chases Russian Planes Away From UK

Options
  • 23-04-2014 7:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

What does my new forum make of this?

Two Russian bombers which flew close to UK airspace have been chased away by an RAF jet fighter.
    The aircraft, believed to be Tupolev 95s, were spotted off the coast of northeast Scotland.
    They were turned away from Britain when an RAF Typhoon was scrambled from Leuchars airbase, near Dundee.
    raf-tyhoon-russian-intercept-1-522x293.jpg
    "It's all about testing defences and seeing exactly what your 'enemy' is capable of."
    http://news.sky.com/story/1247985/raf-jet-chases-russian-planes-away-from-uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

The Russians have been doing this for many many years now...

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_285.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

With your previous form I suppose we should take it WWIII is upon us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

As said, they made a hobby of "Poking the lion" a long time ago. Nothing to worry about:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Jack1985 wrote: »

Ye never know Jack???

Russia will use nukes in case of a strike – official
    http://rt.com/politics/nuclear-strike-attack-rogozin-053/

nuclear-strike-attack-rogozin.si.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Can we watch it on Flightradar24 ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

martinn123 wrote: »

Once they don't turn off their transponders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Wasn't it about 2/3 years ago the TU160 sneaked into UK airspace?

No military show up on FR24. You might get the odd C130 or something but not of this sort.

stuar wrote: »
    Once they don't turn off their transponders.

Suppose that's how the Typhoon knew where they were.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭KnotABother

This is almost as run of the mill as a RYR 737 on finals at Dublin to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Nice to have a friendly neighbour with a decent air force. It could take a while before we'd have the old PC9 scrambled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Rabbo wrote: »
    Nice to have a friendly neighbour with a decent air force. It could take a while before we'd have the old PC9 scrambled

C'mon they would be welcome here, sur you would never know what we could export to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wind power?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Jack1985 wrote: »

Play nice now Jack.

kub wrote: »
    C'mon they would be welcome here, sur you would never know what we could export to them.

Maybe they do Rendition's

Shannon is available.

Serious question, how do Military Aircraft interact /liaise with ATC.

Assuming the transponder is Off,

I remember from the coverage of 9/11, they ordered an f19, to get over New York, ASAP, ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is a video on youtube of cockpit footage and audio of I think an Italian F-16 talking to ATC. They get their altitude directions mixed up and almost have a mid air with an airliner. I'll have a search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Looks like CNN have this story about the Russian TU-95's Bears.

No reports on Russian English media outlets on this story...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/world/europe/russian-bombers-intercepted/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Your new forum... as soon as i saw the image of the TEL i guessed that the majority of your posts were over in CT land...

Anyway, what i found amusing about that link was the fact that HMS Dragon is 'keeping an eye' on the Vice Admiral Kulakov.

The very same Vice Admiral Kulakov that had port visits to UK and ROI ports over the last 2 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Two Russian bombers which flew close to UK airspace have been chased away by an RAF jet fighter.
    The aircraft, believed to be Tupolev 95s, were spotted off the coast of northeast Scotland.
    They were turned away from Britain when an RAF Typhoon was scrambled from Leuchars airbase, near Dundee.
    raf-tyhoon-russian-intercept-1-522x293.jpg
    "It's all about testing defences and seeing exactly what your 'enemy' is capable of."
    http://news.sky.com/story/1247985/raf-jet-chases-russian-planes-away-from-uk

Propellers......and a lad sittin out the back,all on his own e o......Them pesky Ruskies !!! :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Saw those photos on on sky news and it brought back pangs of nostalgia. These intercepts go right back to the sixties. Only then they were intercepted by EE Lightnings, then Phantoms and later Tornados. Now we have the Typhoons.

Some things never change though. The good old Bear , still going long after it should be sitting in a museum. Long may they fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

folbotcar wrote: »
    Saw those photos on on sky news and it brought back pangs of nostalgia. These intercepts go right back to the sixties. Only then they were intercepted by EE Lightnings, then Phantoms and later Tornados. Now we have the Typhoons.

Some things never change though. The good old Bear , still going long after it should be sitting in a museum. Long may they fly.
    Yep...... I remember the QRA at Coningsby. The were good photos of the USSR guys holding up coke cans to the windows and stuff. I imagine these photos and 'news' were released to the media to keep the anti Russian rhetoric going.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

A very regular occurance, as it has been since the 50/60s . I was in Leuchars a few years ago, and an F3 pilot was describing, how they liked the backseater to open a Playboy centrefold , for the benefits of Glasnost . Apparently, it wasnt unusual for the Russians to reciprocate, by extending and retracting the in flight refuelling probe a few times .
    Unfortunatly, Leuchars has begun the wind down of operations, leading to the departure of the first squadron , No. 6 , this June , with No. 1 to follow in september .
    Here are a few photos from a visit a few years ago
    leucharsmar1708016800x533_zpsbafc9eb5.jpg
    leucharsmar1708078800x533_zps1f519447.jpg
    leucharsmar1708086800x399_zpsb7f9a0d8.jpg
    leucharsmar1708210800x374_zps6c2c1c0a.jpg
    leucharsmar17082772_zpsf163d300.jpg
    leucharsmar1708310800x386_zps6fc5ca2c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Ye never know Jack???

Russia will use nukes in case of a strike – official
    http://rt.com/politics/nuclear-strike-attack-rogozin-053/

nuclear-strike-attack-rogozin.si.jpg
    Good to see they have the fire extinguishers ready in case the thing goes off unexpectedly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Serious question, how do Military Aircraft interact /liaise with ATC.

Assuming the transponder is Off,

I remember from the coverage of 9/11, they ordered an f19, to get over New York, ASAP, ??

Unlikely they had the frisbee fly over new york, sure it wasn't F16s from the NAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Propellers......and a lad sittin out the back,all on his own e o......Them pesky Ruskies !!!

The propellors look antiquated, but the Tornado F3s had to plug-in reheat on one engine just to keep up with the Tu-95s!

Thankfully the Typhoons have a bit more poke at altitude and can cruise along with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Fairly routine.......here's another one.......F-15s intercepting Mig-29s over the Bering Strait

f15interceptmig29vh8.jpg

Advertisement