Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One thing to improve Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

A municipal park with space to host open air events. Much as I love the prom I really think galway needs a decent park near the city environs. So if there are any galway city/county planners and councillors reading this...Please can you make provision for this in the next development plan for galway. ...

If I could sneak in two more.....an opera house (similar to wexfords) and a decent seafood restaurant. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

A mad wishlist kind of idea;an observatory and planetarium. I would love to have access to something like that although I can't really think of anywhere in Ireland or the UK that have it, possibly for good reason,but still.[/quote]

Have to say I love love this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Daisy78 wrote: »
    A municipal park with space to host open air events. Much as I love the prom I really think galway needs a decent park near the city environs. So if there are any galway city/county planners and councillors reading this...Please can you make provision for this in the next development plan for galway. ...

If I could sneak in two more.....an opera house (similar to wexfords) and a decent seafood restaurant. .

I see potential in Merlin Woods now its not going to have a bus lane going thru it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

pat25c wrote: »
    if money was no object & you were able to do one public works project to improve Galway city , what would it be , I would clean out the eglinton canal replace both lock gates @ parkavara & replace the rail bridge with one for pedestrians & cyclists .

your turn!

Ban dogs from Buttermilk Lane. It is the most dreary walkway in the city. Always damp and dark and always full of poo. How can a busker play the fiddle sitting down beside a dump load of poo!!!!

Make traffic lights amber late, late at night -early morning -when there is little or no traffic.

Ban bus/HGVs from using the Salmon Weir Bridge. It is sad to see a bridge suffer so much. An accident waiting to happen.

Make Bus Eireann wake up to competition from City Link an Go Bus.Put on 24 hour bus services to Dublin. Wake up Wake Up !!!

Revamp the local bus services.

Turning left from Newcastle to town at the hospital. Is there any particular reason these is an acre of cement to the left of your turn when the actual space for a car on the road is tiny!!!

I could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

bobbyss wrote: »

Make Bus Eireann wake up to competition from City Link an Go Bus.Put on 24 hour bus services to Dublin. Wake up Wake Up !!!

I could go on.
    Why do you want 24 hr bus Eireann buses?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Why do you want 24 hr bus Eireann buses?

To match City Link and Go Bus which seem to have buses traveling to/from Dublin on the hour almost every hour. These buses are on the go after midnight while Bus Eireann's inter city buses close down at 8 pm?? Also competition will bring down prices.

While I am at it. Think of a blissering hot day in Salthill and you are walking the prom. You have just kicked you heel at Blackrock are you are dying for an icecream or coke. What? I have to walk a mile back to get one? Why not some stalls along the prom to sell same??? Come on Galway wake up!

Why is the roundabout at the entrance to the motorway at the Galway Clinic so incredibly small? It verges on dangerous. And wait. Do you see acres and acres of open land around there. Could the engineers not foresee how small it is and see all the land around and make it bigger? Incredible.

Almost as incredible as the development of Eyre Square. What a nondescript square it is now. How much was spent on it? 12 million euro? Would you see 12 million euro in it? Those beautiful ornate railings-gone. Oh Dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

To match City Link and Go Bus which seem to have buses traveling to/from Dublin on the hour almost every hour. These buses are on the go after midnight while Bus Eireann's inter city buses close down at 8 pm?? Also competition will bring down prices.

Not that it matters but BÉ services run until 9.30pm.

There seems to be plenty competition there already. Adding BÉ to the night-time line-up would, imo, likely hurt customers in the long run as it would mean less custom for the two private operators who I feel are keeping each other in check well and are offering good value. Burke buying 4 brand new buses (with sockets for every passenger) to replace "older" ones that BÉ wouldn't dream of retiring for another 20 years is a good example of how the market seems balanced well enough.

Having BÉ going 24 hours more or less, just for the sake of it doesn't sound like a good idea. It sounds like I'm oversimplifying your argument, but that's what I feel it boils down to.

In any case, why would BÉ add sevices at times already saturated by GoBus and Citylink? I know half their services stop in every bloody town from here to Lucan, but the market for buses to serve them towns at night couldn't be viable as Citylink already serve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Encouraging MORE people to drive into Galway city probably doesn't sound like a brilliant idea, but I would build a number of large capacity underground car parks at sensible locations around the city and provide high-frequency shuttles to the city centre.

I haven't really thought that out very well, as I can see a number of problems even as I write it and it is more than one thing, but it would be a step in the right direction, if not altogether perfect.

Not that it matters but BÉ services run until 9.30pm.

There seems to be plenty competition there already. Adding BÉ to the night-time line-up would, imo, likely hurt customers in the long run as it would mean less custom for the two private operators who I feel are keeping each other in check well and are offering good value. Burke buying 4 brand new buses (with sockets for every passenger) to replace "older" ones that BÉ wouldn't dream of retiring for another 20 years is a good example of how the market seems balanced well enough.

Having BÉ going 24 hours more or less, just for the sake of it doesn't sound like a good idea. It sounds like I'm oversimplifying your argument, but that's what I feel it boils down to.

In any case, why would BÉ add sevices at times already saturated by GoBus and Citylink? I know half their services stop in every bloody town from here to Lucan, but the market for buses to serve them towns at night couldn't be viable as Citylink already serve them.

Thanks for your response. I have not looked ta BE timetable for quite some time but I don't know how many of their inter city services are direct and non stop to/from Dublin. I know they are required to provide a social service and run buses that end up not being competitive. But why wouldn't BE not get involved in these types of services? They could offer times/services to Dublin not offered by the other two companies. Even on a trial run?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Little My

Park and rides on the west, north/east and south/east sides which would swing past major business parks. Free school buses for children like the american system.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response. I have not looked ta BE timetable for quite some time but I don't know how many of their inter city services are direct and non stop to/from Dublin. I know they are required to provide a social service and run buses that end up not being competitive. But why wouldn't BE not get involved in these types of services? They could offer times/services to Dublin not offered by the other two companies. Even on a trial run?

Funnily enough, BÉ actually did a trial a while back, and started offering an hourly service at the end of March, with every 2nd bus being an express, and services from 6:30am - 9:30pm.

Fares are competitive with CL/GB.

My full write up of the change is here: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2014/03/bus-eireann-galway-dublin-bus-service-improvements.html

Funnily enough, BÉ actually did a trial a while back, and started offering an hourly service at the end of March, with every 2nd bus being an express, and services from 6:30am - 9:30pm.

Fares are competitive with CL/GB.

My full write up of the change is here: http://news.galwaytransport.info/2014/03/bus-eireann-galway-dublin-bus-service-improvements.html

Yes but the express service stops in Athlone and Loughrea and B'Sloe. Each one of these stops takes about 10 minutes at the minimum and not factoring in the traffic delays in getting into Loughrea and B'Sloe. So with three stops we are looking at an extra 1/2 hour on the journey.

They are still behind the times. Reluctant to meet challenges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Crazy mad scientist idea. Build a device that keeps galway summery 10 months of the year and nice and wintery snow and all for the market

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

A place in town where people can pick up any post deliveries they missed. sooooooo far away

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whoops_jimmy

1.a bike route from town out to barna/furbo/spiddal
    2.more frequent bus services to barna/furbo/spiddal
    3.more food markets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

a coastal protection scheme with an incorporated walking and cycle path from Blackrock to Barna is in the works, they've already done the ground investigations and funding is there.. I was in touch with a council engineer about it late last year and she said that once the geotechnical work was signed off that the digging would start this spring but then we've had the storm damage so maybe that's thrown a spanner in there..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

sea_monkey wrote: »
    A place in town where people can pick up any post deliveries they missed. sooooooo far away

Had to walk from salthill and back there one day. Absolutely wrecked my feet in my Penneys shoes, that was last Sept and I still have blood blisters from it lol! +1

2.more frequent bus services to barna/furbo/spiddal
    3.more food markets

I agree seems like they cut the red bus that was going out to Barna, such a shame. They also cut the red bus going from knocknacarra/cappagh to salthill meaning every pensioner in the area has to get a taxi to pick up their money at the PO. Not one bus going to Salthill from that whole area its crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

sea_monkey wrote: »

Slightly off topic but they are now open till 7pm which should help, I know I've left work early on a few occasions to get there before 5:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

employ a security force to go around and stopping lads tucking their pants into their socks.

it looks ****ing ridiculous.

• Advertisement

arf91 wrote: »
    I agree seems like they cut the red bus that was going out to Barna, such a shame. They also cut the red bus going from knocknacarra/cappagh to salthill meaning every pensioner in the area has to get a taxi to pick up their money at the PO. Not one bus going to Salthill from that whole area its crazy!

Eh? 414 is still on CityDirect's timetable - http://www.citydirectgalway.ie/index.php?page=fouronefour#.U1TqivldWX8 Not many services each day, and Mon - Fri only. But I definitely saw one the other week.

arf91 wrote: »
    They also cut the red bus going from knocknacarra/cappagh to salthill meaning every pensioner in the area has to get a taxi to pick up their money at the PO. Not one bus going to Salthill from that whole area its crazy!

Presumably due to lack of use.

Pensioners are smart people, they can get their money put into their bank accounts.

Eh? 414 is still on CityDirect's timetable - http://www.citydirectgalway.ie/index.php?page=fouronefour#.U1TqivldWX8 Not many services each day, and Mon - Fri only. But I definitely saw one the other week.

Presumably due to lack of use.

Pensioners are smart people, they can get their money put into their bank accounts.

Ah ok. I had asked bus drivers from bus eireann and city direct and they both said there wasnt any. There are only 3 buses on that timetable although its better than nothing I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Slightly off topic but they are now open till 7pm which should help, I know I've left work early on a few occasions to get there before 5:30.

Yeah but when you don't drive it can be impossible. Some things are only held for 3 days so you have to pay the 3euro redelivery and hope you can be in that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

jkforde wrote: »
    a coastal protection scheme with an incorporated walking and cycle path from Blackrock to Barna is in the works, they've already done the ground investigations and funding is there.. I was in touch with a council engineer about it late last year and she said that once the geotechnical work was signed off that the digging would start this spring but then we've had the storm damage so maybe that's thrown a spanner in there..

That's not my understanding.

Last time I heard, Galway City Council was planning a pedestrian-only path that would specifically exclude cyclists.

I'm open to correction on that point, though. It was a daft notion in the first place, and maybe someone has seen the light...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 de-dan

I think a bit of urban regeneration wouldn't go astray on Dominic street.

I currently live overlooking the street and most of the buildings could do with a lick of paint at the very least.

The street itself, from Monroes up to where Deli la Tasca has just opened could be pedestrianised as there are other routes that the traffic could take without too much disruption eg. Muster avenue.

From speaking to a friend who deals with tourists daily in his job, he says if he recommends a bar or restaurant on this side of the bridge they often come back saying they got as far as Monroes but turned back as they didn't like the look of the area.

With the newly developed area outside Gourmet
    Tart and up along by the Salt House a noticeable improvement, it would ( in my opinion anyways) be nice to see a similar approach taken to the rest of the street, but fully pedestrianised.

The paths are tiny and you often have to step out on the road to pass people, the street is a disaster at night once pubs are busy people tend to stand in the middle of the road anyways and with taxis backed up round the corner all beeping till 3 in the morning or after.

I also think that if it were to be developed in this way it would attract more businesses that could fill up some of the empty units.

Rant over! Any ideas or thoughts on this or am I mad ha?

You're right. But lots of the natives won't like the idea, as the current look keeps tourists out of da west.

(Except that lots make it to the Crane anyway. Music fans are made of tougher stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd get rid of the metal surfaces at the pedestrian crossings in Eyre Square. What numpty thought they were a good idea? They're lethal when wet. I had one leg slip once but was lucky I didn't fall. I always stay off to the side now.
    My friends grandmother wasn't so lucky yesterday and she broke her ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 de-dan

You're right. But lots of the natives won't like the idea, as the current look keeps tourists out of da west.

(Except that lots make it to the Crane anyway. Music fans are made of tougher stuff!)

True that people look at this end of town as a get away from quay street and the other touristy spots, and the Crane will always pull people in, there is just so much wasted potential down this end.

The "natives" I presume are people who live out of town knocknacarragh etc and come in for the Craic at the weekends? I don't think that them loosing their favourite seat at the bar because the place is full would pose much of a problem in the eyes of business owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd get rid of the metal surfaces at the pedestrian crossings in Eyre Square. What numpty thought they were a good idea? They're lethal when wet. I had one leg slip once but was lucky I didn't fall. I always stay off to the side now.
    My friends grandmother wasn't so lucky yesterday and she broke her ankle.
    Please please make it your duty that your friends granny makes a claim against the city council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

D Trent wrote: »
    Please please make it your duty that your friends granny makes a claim against the city council

I don't know the woman so not my place to but I hope she does too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement