Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick to calais donations

Options
  • 03-09-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys seen a Facebook page online seems there will be a place opening by the granary in town where they will be looking for donations to help out the victims of Syria war.

They are open this Monday at 10am, looking for volunteers and clothes donations such as men clothes, sleeping bags etc

Will try post the page if that's OK

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Only mens clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Only mens clothing?

Yes, they currently have enough donations of women's and baby's clothing and toiletries. Those are always easier to come by (think of the tiny rail of men's clothes in all charity shops!). There are also many more men than women and babies fleeing conflict, so men's clothing and toiletries are the highest priority right now.

This from the Cork Calais Refugee Solidarity fb page -
    "We are collecting the following items;
    • MONEY and PEOPLE
    100% of everything you donate on gofundme will go towards buying supplies, no middle men and logistical costs. We hope to have a nice sum of money so donating money would be the best way for people to help us and we can make the refugees life a little more bearable
    www.gofundme.com and search for "Ireland Calais Refugee Solidarity"

• Tarpaulin
    • Heavy duty Rubbish bags
    • Tents: 4 person +
    • Blankets and sleeping bags
    • Men’s clothes: specifically, small to medium to sized warm clothes. Shoes, runners
    • Candles, torches
    • Men’s toiletries, 2 options
    Option 1: Men’s toiletry bag to include Tooth paste, tooth brush, soap, 2 razors, 1 can shaving foam, pack of tissues in a medium sized durable bag
    Option 2: any 1 of the above items boxed separately and labelled
    • Tools for fixing bikes, pumps, puncture repair kits.

In good, clean and dry condition. PLEASE SORT AND LABEL AS THIS WILL SAVE US A LOT OF WORK."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Mod Note: The thread is about donations, keep it to that. We won't warn again. Thanks *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Only mens clothing?

Completely factual post with helpful and on-topic information, no bias or insinuations :

Yes ComfortKid mens clothing is preferred as the makeup of the Calais victims is 90% adult male.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I hope we don't get the brigade who see these type of things as an opportunity to just dump some stuff they were trying to get rid of. I think that's nearly worse than not giving at all. Something definitely quite sinister there.

Scumbags to be honest.

I'll be over to donate once I'm back down in Limerick. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

myshirt wrote: »
    I hope we don't get the brigade who see these type of things as an opportunity to just dump some stuff they were trying to get rid of. I think that's nearly worse than not giving at all. Something definitely quite sinister there.

Scumbags to be honest.

It's definitely worse than not giving at all as it could mean that the group have to pay to dispose of the unwanted items. So either money that they have collected will be used on waste charges instead of buying food for the refugees or the people who are already giving their time will have to pay for it from their own pockets. Meanwhile the 'donors' have just saved themselves waste disposal charges but can go around feeling like they're great people for it. It boils my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Are there any other ways to help in relation to the current migrant crisis? I'm not really in a position to donate much but I'd still like to help out in some way.

Here is one of the more comprehensive lists of things we can do.
    http://action.sumofus.org/a/help-refugees/

Locally, the collection depot in Bank Place will be open from 10-5 Mon-Fri next week and have asked that anyone who can help out to drop by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Red King wrote: »
    Are there any other ways to help in relation to the current migrant crisis? I'm not really in a position to donate much but I'd still like to help out in some way.

They are looking for volunteers to sort and pack the stuff collected from Monday. There is a Facebook page with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

They are looking for volunteers to sort and pack the stuff collected from Monday. There is a Facebook page with details.

Depot will be open Mon to fri 10-5 beside Docs Bar just round the side of the Granary (directly across the river from the Locke Bar).

As well as donations of the priority tarps, tents, sleeping bags, wellies, men's/teen boy's clothing & toiletries, they will be needing packing boxes (preferably plastic, but large and strong cardboard too...), zip-up clothing bags (strong & large), packing tape, large sticky labels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

iguana wrote: »
    It's definitely worse than not giving at all as it could mean that the group have to pay to dispose of the unwanted items. So either money that they have collected will be used on waste charges instead of buying food for the refugees or the people who are already giving their time will have to pay for it from their own pockets. Meanwhile the 'donors' have just saved themselves waste disposal charges but can go around feeling like they're great people for it. It boils my blood.

Im not sure how to view that. donated a load of stuff lately. Stuff i would regard as junk. Old hugo boss suits. Electronics stuff. Old i phones etc. Included a lot of old clothes including track suits and runners. Maybe i should have just binned them or do the charity companies get a choice? I certainly can afford the waste charges and am not sure about my actions now.

In general if you are donating something to a shop, it will need to be saleable for the charity to be able to use it. If the can't sell it, in many cases they have to throw it away. The exception is clothing as old clothes and shoes can be sold to recycling companies for a small fee. And some charities have deals with companies that recycle old phones. Other than that, when donating to a charity shop, it's best just to donate items that the shop sells or to call in advance and ask if they can take what you are offering. And ask to speak to the manager as some volunteers will say yes to anything for fear of offending, while others might say no to something not knowing that the charity may have means to use that type of item outside of the shop or in a future promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think you all need a reality check. Seriously.

Men only in Calais. And they don't really want your cast offs or new clothes, they want to get to the UK.

So there we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Red King wrote: »

A monetary donation to Doctors Without Borders would be fantastic. They do amazing work, they keep their overheads to a minimum and provide help where needed. They have no religious affiliations also. They always get my donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I think you all need a reality check. Seriously.

Men only in Calais. And they don't really want your cast offs or new clothes, they want to get to the UK.

So there we are.

I think today might push this thread over the 50/50 threshold of "migrants are great, donations are great, Yay! " posts versus deleted "wait a second here guys calais looks like bit odd to me" posts, many from long term posters who make contributions on a lot of stuff (ie not one agenda cranks or anything).

Advocating caution is verboten it would seem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right folks,

This is a regional forum, if you want to discuss the current issues around Europe please feel free to find the relevant forum, this isn't the place. Please feel free to continue to discuss how to help out if you want.

Advertisement