Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New courts complex Mulgrave Street

Options
  • 17-11-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

I've found some images of the proposed courts complex due to be built on the site of a former artillery barracks beside the prison.

It's expected that construction will commence next year. Good to see that they intend to retain the historical gatehouses at the entrance to the site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Is this proposed opposite the fire station/Leonard's motors...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hooked wrote: »
    Is this proposed opposite the fire station/Leonard's motors...?

Yeah, that's it! I really like the look of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That looks pretty good. Much larger than I was expecting too. I didn't realise the site was that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Would that take over Jerry o'Deas then?. Or further down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭phog

Good to see that they seem to be incorporating the current stonework in the frontage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Apparently Odeas, bookies etc have been bought by Dept Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

so does that mean all the knacks are gonna be on mulgrave st now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Am I right in saying that there will be direct access to and from the prison from here (whether Jerry O'Dea's stays or not)? Wasn't that one of the main reasons to relocate to that area?

Also, there's a bit of confusion about which court is being relocated. My understanding is that it is the District Court, which (I think) is currently part of the modern Civic Offices building. The Circuit Court will still be held in the old courthouse on Merchant's Quay, or is that being vacated too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    so does that mean all the knacks are gonna be on mulgrave st now?

Like they weren't before? :eek:

The human figures and their dress style in that artist's representation are, shall we say, not representative.:P

zulutango wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that there will be direct access to and from the prison from here (whether Jerry O'Dea's stays or not)? Wasn't that one of the main reasons to relocate to that area?

There was talk of a tunnel from the prison into the court house.
    Also, there's a bit of confusion about which court is being relocated. My understanding is that it is the District Court, which (I think) is currently part of the modern Civic Offices building. The Circuit Court will still be held in the old courthouse on Merchant's Quay, or is that being vacated too?

Looking at the size of it, I'd say they're moving everything. They'd still have prisoner transfer, squad cars and "unsociables" hanging around outside the main entrance into city hall if they don't, which was another reason to move.

EDIT. Found an article from March

Ground level link form the prison to the court house.

The current courthouse at Merchant’s Quay is to be vacated by the Courts Service and will act as a new headquarters for Limerick City and County Council.

]The new court complex will cover an area of 7350 square metres and will comprise six courtrooms, high security custody areas, offices for Courts Service staff and associated facilities.

Where can we get confirmation of that? I've heard different stories locally, and the press seem fairly clueless on the issue.

And if the old courthouse is to be vacated, what's going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

you know that looks like it was designed using minecraft - which if true would be pretty cool. I hope if it built that they do plant those trees out front - the building needs them ! Be nice to have the block developed , its pretty grim looking at the moment.

There was talk of a tunnel from the prison into the court house.

Looking at the size of it, I'd say they're moving everything. They'd still have prisoner transfer, squad cars and "unsociables" hanging around outside the main entrance into city hall if they don't, which was another reason to move.

EDIT. Found an article from March

Ground level link form the prison to the court house.

The current courthouse at Merchant’s Quay is to be vacated by the Courts Service and will act as a new headquarters for Limerick City and County Council.

]The new court complex will cover an area of 7350 square metres and will comprise six courtrooms, high security custody areas, offices for Courts Service staff and associated facilities.

They could still only be talking about the District Court though, as it is also on Merchant's Quay (i.e. Civic Offices).

And if the old courthouse is to be vacated, what's going in there?

Limerick City and County Council will take it over.

Limerick City and County Council will take it over.

Anything definite to confirm that? The article that cookiemunster linked to was ambiguous ...

Noonan mentioned it as well recently. But then again he also claimed that proposed pedestrian bridge would run along the top of the weir!

They could still only be talking about the District Court though, as it is also on Merchant's Quay (i.e. Civic Offices).

They're building a massive new court complex with 6 court rooms, high security custody areas and a direct link to the prison. They're not going move the district court and leave the higher level circuit court at Merchants Quay, seeing as it's the circuit court that requires high security custody areas and a direct link to the prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

topper75 wrote: »
    Like they weren't before? :eek:

The human figures and their dress style in that artist's representation are, shall we say, not representative.:P

Yes. Looks like this was was designed sometime in the 70's? . :D

• Advertisement

They're building a massive new court complex with 6 court rooms, high security custody areas and a direct link to the prison. They're not going move the district court and leave the higher level circuit court at Merchants Quay, seeing as it's the circuit court that requires high security custody areas and a direct link to the prison.

Yep, I gather that, but it would be good to see it confirmed somewhere. All the reporting is very ambiguous and one seemingly well placed person told me that the it was only the district court that was moving and that the circuit court was staying put. I do appreciate that the size of the new building suggests that all the courts are going up to Mulgrave Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Are the council moving from the place in Dooradoyle then? That makes no sense as its a fine building

Mc Love wrote: »
    Are the council moving from the place in Dooradoyle then? That makes no sense as its a fine building

They're using both City Hall and County Hall in Dooradoyle, with the council meeting on alternate months in each. Some services have been centralised into the city center so there is some empty space in there. I read recently that one floor of county hall has been rented out. Can't remember who rented it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Between the schools and main road into town traffic there will be a nightmare

damo80 wrote: »
    Between the schools and main road into town traffic there will be a nightmare

Why? If you look at the site plan all vehicular access is via Roxboro Rd rather than Mulgrave Street into a private car park. Plus as there'll be a direct link to the prison there'll be no need for prisoner transport or extra Gardai.

It definitely makes sense from a logistics point of view. I just hope that all the courts go up there, and not just the District Court.

I wonder how much of a negative economic impact it will have on the Merchant's Quay area. Maybe it'll have a positive one?

One would hope that an imaginative use can be found for the current courthouse building which dates from 1809. It would be a serious waste if it was just converted in to extra office space for the council.

An overall solution needs to be found for the area at large as well encompassing the Potato Market and the space used primarily for car parking. A public plaza should be developed here with the riverside opened up between Matthew Bridge and the courthouse too.

There was talk a few years back about the City Library moving into the courthouse. I'm not sure if that's still the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Why? If you look at the site plan all vehicular access is via Roxboro Rd rather than Mulgrave Street into a private car park. Plus as there'll be a direct link to the prison there'll be no need for prisoner transport or extra Gardai.

I stand corrected sorry missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Move the library and museum in there would be fantastic decent coffee shop to take in the view

Advertisement