Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

in fairness it mostly did work.

even if it had to be put on a truck at 1 or both ends it meant those trucks were driving short journeys which meant less infrastructure required to cater specifically to them.

even with a good motor way network the less stuff on it the better as it saves maintenence costs and helps with other issues.

certainly we won't see a return to the amounts of rail freight of the past but certainly there is room for growth, and that will need to happen.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I just don't see it , except in exceptional specific case , when it didn't work nationally before , going from city to city , and we had the infrastructure, plus limited competition,

and now it'll be Rosey stopping outside little villages , it'd be like watching thomas the tank engine but I real life.. hurrah

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The feasibility study on the Athenry-Milltown greenway went to TII and it must have said something good as 300k of funding has been released to Galway County Council to look at route selection options and other bits that will hopefully take it to the next phase or beyond

From Ciaran cannon on FB

€300,000 for design phase of Athenry to Milltown greenway

I’m delighted to welcome an announcement today by Transport Minister Eamon Ryan of funding for the design phase of the Athenry to Milltown Greenway. Transport Infrastructure Ireland has allocated €300,000 to Galway County Council for the design phase of the greenway, which will connect the two East Galway towns. This is a vital investment in a greenway that will boost the economy of towns and villages along the route., and will enhance the quality of life of local residents.

I’m very grateful to Minister Ryan for his continued support for the Athenry to Milltown Greenway, he shares our ambition to develop a world class public amenity that has the potential to enhance the towns of Athenry, Tuam and Milltown and showcase our region to the world. This investment of €300,000 which was sought by Galway Co. Council will allow for the appointment of consultants to carry out the public engagement and design phase of the greenway and it follows on from a €75,000 investment in the carrying out of a feasibility study.

Galway Co. Council recently submitted the findings of that feasibility study to the Department of Transport and Transport Infrastructure Ireland. It outlines a number of potential routing options to connect Athenry to Milltown. The findings of that study have now been approved by TII and Minister Ryan has acted immediately to allocate €300,000 for the design phase. I will continue to engage with Minister Ryan and his colleagues to stress the urgency of getting this project underway as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

And Sligo have gotten €400K for Collooney to Bellaghy section. I cant wait for both Greenways to arrive at both north and south border of Mayo, and what excuses the Mayo councillors and TD's come out with. Interesting how the public will react too.

Says it all about Mayo....

There is a change in mindset,,,,,

Tomorrows news today!

Its becoming a little clearer what the All Island Rail Review is going to recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd love for someone to elaborate on how reopening the WRC could "allow for the provision of a service to Northern Ireland", as claimed in that article.

I don't think the All Island Rail Review can be taken seriously, it seems to say "do everything". It remains to be seen if they have actually assessed the feasibility of any projects, presumably not as any actual assessments have found no case for reopening. If it recommends reopening the WRC north of Claremorris, then the report should be immediately dumped in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There seems to be a widespread delusion that were was a Sligo to Letterkenny/Derry rail line that could be reopened. But there wasn't and there isn't even a single corridor to stitch together from the lines that did exist.

The MGWR line always ended at Sligo - there was a branch to the docks but it did not cross the Garravogue. The area between Sligo and Bundoran was never served by rail.

Bundoran and Ballyshannon were served by a standard gauge line from Enniskillen.

There was a Derry-Donegal(-Killybegs) narrow gauge line; with a branch to Ballyshannon - the other side of the river to the Enniskillen & Bundoran.

Letterkenny was on a different railway system entirely; so even if you did reuse the alignment - what hasn't fallen in to the bog - of the CDRJC - to get to Derry and somewhere near the NIR system you would miss the only significant population centre in Donegal!

Yeah, you'd hope the claim about provision of a service to Northern Ireland in that article innocently came from the ignorance of the author rather than coming from briefings from officials!

It's amazing how something so inaccurate can make it into such an article, no doubt many will believe it and think the WRC could eventually facilitate trains from Galway to Belfast. I don't expect to see a correction in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The article seems to be based on a dail exchange between Ryan and O Cuiv and nothing more.

I cant find the dail transcripts of his question but i highly doubt any mention of WRC serving NI was made by Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

It's good to see that this is the approach now. It suggests that they intend to open the line further. Claremorris initially and hopefully then Sligo.

The plans in motion for Castlebar in this piece is also adding to the case.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/03/21/mayo-site-identified-for-strategic-rail-freight-hub/

O'Cuiv is some gombeen. The section north of Claremorris will never reopen, at least not in the next 50 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭serfboard

From TheJournal today apparently the All-Island Rail Review was supposed to be jointly published by Dublin and Belfast, but since Stormont is in mothballs, the Department of Transport here tells The Journal that the draft review will be published when it is completed in a few weeks.

The Journal understands that the report contains draft proposals to construct a new rail-line connecting Letterkenny in Donegal with Derry, along with moves to reverse greenway plans elsewhere in favour of rail.

These include ... resum[ing] part of the Western Rail Corridor connecting the towns of Athenry in Galway and Claremorris in Mayo.

These lines would focus on freight with the aim of removing haulage vehicles from the road. If successful, there is the possibility of passenger travel resuming on the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

Interesting....sounds positive anyway if the sources are accurate. Even a draft release at this stage would be welcome.

The original WRC route north of Claremorris to Collooney is approx. 75km. It is very meandering in parts, was built to a low standard and part of the alignment have been encroached upon. It crosses the N5 and N17 x 2 with no existing provision for grade separation, as well as passing at grade across several busy town streets and riddled with minor at grade crossings.

There was a rail line from Ballaghadereen north connecting to the Sligo between Boyle and Ballymote. The alignment is visible on Google maps although I am not sure how much, if any, is still in state ownership. The terrain is relatively flat with a few small road crossings, the N5 being the only busy road crossing. I'd like to see an assessment of utilising this as a link between the existing Mayo and Sligo rail lines. Basically a link from west of Castlerea to south of Ballymote.

It would be about 30km, 15km of new alignment between Castlerea and Ballaghadereen, and 15km of old alignment north of Ballaghadereen although it could deviate to take a more direct route in places. Even if the route north of Ballaghadereen was essentially rebuilt from scratch, than is basically what would be required with WRC so it is 30km of build v 75km of build.

The distance from Claremorris to Collooney would be about 10km more than WRC (85km v 75km) but the alignment via Ballaghadereen would likely still be faster as it uses fairly straight parts of the existing Mayo (32km Castlerea - Claremorris) and Sligo (23km south of Ballymote - Collooney) rail lines which should allow for higher speeds than WRC. One drawback would be the lack of population with Ballaghadereen being the only town served, although this would be a benefit in some ways allowing for faster journey times.

Using sections of existing track is obviously efficient in terms of maintenance, rather than adding new track incurring additional maintenace costs. It could help to justify double tracking parts of the single track network which would be very beneficial. As well as allowing trains travel between Sligo and Galway, it would also allow connections between Sligo and Castlebar/Westport/Ballina and also Athlone. It would be possible then to send Sligo - Dublin trains via Athlone to Hueston which would be good in terms of removing long distance trains from the busy track east of Maynooth (Longford trains commuter would have to be extended to Boyle).

I think examining this and how it can improve the overall network would be more worthwhile than saying reopen the full WRC because that's the way the trains went 100 years ago.

• Advertisement

So, if going from Galway to Sligo via this route you'd go:

Galway->Oranmore->Athenry->Ballyglunin->Tuam->Milltown->Ballindine->Claremorris->Ballyhaunis->Castlerea->Ballaghadereen->Collooney->Sligo.

Might take a while to get there!

And if you think it wouldn't stop in small places like Ballyglunin and Ballindine, then you've been ignoring commentary on this thread, and you'd be very unaware of the quality of our West Or Ireland politicians who would demand it.

If going from Galway to Sligo via this route you'd go:

Galway->Oranmore->Athenry->Ballyglunin->Tuam->Milltown->Ballindine->Claremorris->Kiltimagh->Swinford->Charlestown->Tobercurry->Collooney->Sligo.

It might take a longer while to get there if speed is lower due to more stations and less straight track with more LCs.

You'd also be waiting for the state to rebuild 75km of rail line which is unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes.

The disused route north of Claremorris was called " The Burma Road". If memory serves me correctly from listening to local historians, its a light rail narrow gauge alinement, 47 miles long with 48 level crossings.

as i understand it is correct that it was built to light rail and narrow gauge rail standards but it is definitely a braud gauge line rather then narrow gauge.

trains were able to run the whole through route from limerick to sligo until the closure of mayo to sligo from where they went to mayo only.

i'm sure freight would have come from other destinations as well and specials from various destinations may have ran the through route as a whole in the line's time.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I'd wager they were the slowest running trains on the whole network though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Spotted this in last week's Clare Echo. Local Councillors still pushing for a station at Crusheen.

'Compelling case' to reopen Crusheen railway station to be put before Iarnród Éireann - Clare Echo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Population: 543 (2016)

Scrap the cap!

These articles always amuse me

They're full of "if you build it they will come".

Thing is, not one author, in the last decade, has been able to show the benefits that phase 1 has brought to the likes of Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell etc

Zip, zero, zilch.

Just more of the same "trust us boss".

To be clear, I don't object to rail investment, just WRC investment. Its a farcical waste of money which would be much better spent on the main lines

The train is slow and infrequent so until it can be improved in this regard, it's unlikely to attract people from the intermediate stops. It has attracted plenty going from Galway to Limerick and vice versa.

Galway County Council should also seek to concentrate development in these towns and villages over the likes of Kilcolgan and Clarinbridge which are more dependent on the road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Nail on the head there. Why haven't the government and councils been encouraging dense development in these towns? They should have been. It's an appalling failure of policy.

Build it and they will come come holds true as a general concept.

• Advertisement

Thing is though, the current service is shockingly poor and won't entice many to use it

You can concentrate development in these locations all you want, but if the service

1. takes twice as long as the car,
    2. has a poor frequency,
    3. crap schedule

then damn all people will use it

Without additional capacity on the main line, there is no scope to improve #'s 2 & 3 above

As for #1, well, I don't see how that will ever improve without close on 500 mil being spent to improve the alignment and double tracking it and the main line.

Adding another line from Tuam (or beyond) to Athenry would just make everything worse for the existing services and any such service would also have the 3 issues that WRC phase 1 has

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Indeed, it's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, should we build a rail connection in the hope that these towns will densify, or should we encourage the towns to densify so that a rail connection is justified.

I'd say that if you put it to the rail line campaigners that in order for the rail line to get the go ahead they'd need to support Strategic Development Zones in these towns to rapidly increase density, you'd very quickly find that many would lose their voice.

the problem is that densify first infrastructure later has always been our way and unless it's a road, it hasn't delivered.

so maybe it is time to change tac.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Can you give an example of where they purposefully and specifically increased density in an area on the promise of a rail line, and then didn't provide that line? I don't know of any off the top of my head, although Cherrywood is probably close.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

i was beaten twice to it by yourself and ronald but i would add that i believe possibly parts of cork also could be examples.

Is Cherrywood the one where they built the platform and everything but never ran anything to it or is that somewhere else?

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking of Kishoge Station

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

It is Kishoge alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭blackwhite

"Build it and they will come" holds true when what is built is fit for purpose.

Reinstatement of a line along an old meandering alignment is setting up for failure from day 1. For the line to succeed it needs to offer an alternative that will be comparable or faster times than bus at a bare minimum, and ideally times that can complete with car commuting times.

The original WRC alignment will never provide a service that's faster - or even equivalent time - compared to the alternatives and will struggle to get viable pax numbers because of that.

For a WRC to actually work then a proper route assessment needs to be carried out. Use elements of the old alignment where it makes sense to do so, but also be willing to deviate from the old alignment (and deviate significantly) where needed.

Too much of the campaign appears to be driven by spotters who are more interested in seeing trains along the old line than in actaully having a service that works.

The line from Athenry to Tuam is pretty much as straight as the crow flies. Tuam to Miltown is curvy, but Miltown to Claremorris is pretty much straight again.

Tuam is the largest town in county Galway, so it's a pretty good justification to reopen.

• Advertisement

Still won't mean anything near a comparable journey time though

Plus, and here's the thing details are very light on, will phase 1 trains continue up phase 2 or will phase 2 have its own set of trains?

If its option 1, then its a worse journey time for all users of the WRC

If its option 2 then its worse journey times for everyone on the mainline as there is zero additional capacity until dual tracking is completed (see 2035 if you're lucky) and the passing loop at Oranmore will just mean sitting and waiting for passing trains as happens everyday at Athenry

Galway to Dublin main line is supposed to get to hourly services. That simply won't be possible if you add WRC phase 2 without dual tracking

A "slow and infrequent" service "has attracted plenty going from Galway to Limerick". Really? How do you know that?

I'm amazed that a service that takes two hours attracts passengers when a more frequent and faster alternative bus service takes an hour and twenty minutes. Some people must really not value their time.

Dual tracking of main line definitely needed. I would be more optimistic of this happening sooner than 2036 given the changing focus from roads to public transport.

Current time from Galway to Athenry (20km) is 18-20minutes. Athenry to Tuam is 25km, so 20 to 25minutes is definitely possible. With dual tracking, a 40 minute Tuam to Galway journey is very achievable.

This compares to 50minute current bus time. Since people prefer trains, there would absolutely be demand for this.

I use the train on a daily basis and often there is standing room only from Galway and Limerick. Not many get on or off in between, save for Ennis. The tickets (especially for students) are far more reasonable than the bus and many like myself just prefer the train to the bus.

Ah OK, so anecdotal evidence only. Right, right.

You spend an extra forty minutes going all the way from Galway to Limerick? Meaning you spend an extra eighty minutes per day? Fair play to you - you must love th'oul trains. Percy French would be proud.

Ah, I should have clarified that it's the one on the Luas line rather than heavy rail. The development of about 10000 homes got planning permission on the basis that the Luas would be metro standard.

Now that that's cancelled, everyone from there to the city centre is going to be paying the price.

Alright, take it handy! I’d love to know where first hand information is now considered anecdotal? I’ll stick to the train and you can stick to your car and your tin foil hat.

That's quite literally the definition of anecdotal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The demand is for Tuam to Galway - not Tuam to Athenry.

The diversion via Athenry (and the insistence on stopping at any and every historic stop in between) all adds time, which takes away from the benefits v bus. Especially when you factor in that how much of the Tuam to Galway commuter traffic is heading for the various business parks around Parkmore/Ballybrit

Tuam to Athenry to Galway on the existing alignment (followed by many commuters having to then face the traffic from city centre back out to the business parks) would simply be too slow to get enough modal shift. A proper commuter line would go direct from Tuam to Galway, with a stop at Claregalway, Parkmore and then the alignment heading to meet the mainline around Roscam.

Given how bad we are at building new lines, that's unlikely to get funding anytime in the medium term - but the fact that a viable line won't be built doesn't justify pissing away money on an unviable line that would doomed to failure due to the alignment

• Advertisement

Fair enough point taken…but take the 17.50 from Galway to Limerick or the 18.05 from Limerick to Galway some evening and see for yourself. I’m still of the opinion that the trains are slow and infrequent but the numbers are well up on what they were after the line opened in 2010.

Advertisement