Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano player's opinions welcome

Options
  • 18-11-2016 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi

I'm in my 4th month of classical piano lessons,we are using a book by Carol Barratt Omnibus edition,it's a great book with great adaptations.

Currently I'm working on a swan lake adaption and Fur Elise,which I'm finding difficult enough yet rewarding if I ever get through it;)

So I went a mid term without lessons (two weeks,plus I had a trip away for a week - so it's three weeks of no lessons bascially)

I returned to lessons today confidently that I would play three short pieces which i mastered at home.When I sat down at the piano with the teacher I couldn't even play the start of any of the pieces I learnt.

I'm just wondering if anyone experienced this.I get so nervous when I go for lessons,I'm 35 male btw,never took lessons as a child.I find myself going blank and just losing myself and not knowing whats going on.

Sometimes I go into lessons and I do fine then sometimes I just go blank,it's like a mental block,its very frustrating as I put in maybe 1 hour a day practise and I do work really hard yet sometimes I just fall short.Maybe I'm expecting too much of myself,maybe I'm trying to hard to impress the teacher.

Today was the worst day I've had in the 4 months since I started and when I left the lesson I felt dejected,like I should just pack it in.Then I went home and as I write this I'm still annoyed with myself.

Am I being too hard on myself ? I mean it's only 4 months right ? I mean nobodies perfect we all make mistakes,should I keep going.I have goals in the future a few years down the road of playing certain pieces,I love music,I love piano,I'm passionate,I want to learn,to take a journey and get something from it....

I know it's late but I just needed to get that out.
    Thanks for listening everyone. :)

edit* I hope this is the right place to post this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Everyone blanks in lessons from time to time, even without being nervous in front of the teacher. As you get more comfortable with your teacher, this should be less of an issue. I'm sure your teacher can see how much effort you're putting in. Keep going with consistent practice- though an hour a day is more than I would expect of a beginner and I wonder how much 'useful' practice you're doing after e.g. 30 minutes. Are you working exclusively on your pieces in that time, or doing technical/aural exercises?
    As you say, you have a long musical journey ahead of you, so don't worry too much about the odd 'off' lesson and remember to enjoy yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

this is totally normal, I still do it and i've been playing 10 years!

yes, part of it is nerves since you're not used to it but what it really means, is that you don't really know the piece as well as you thought you did... You should be able to play it without thinking. try playing it at half the speed you normally play it, it will test how well you actually know the timing of the piece. also, ALWAYS play with a metronome when practising.

practice slower and practice daily. Also try practising even just for ten minutes before the lesson, so then you will be warmed up for the teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

your frustration is normal

also realise if you make a slight mistake while at home practicing, you might brush it off, but with your teacher, that tiny mistake that seemed like nothing at home will become amplified X10 in front of someone else. go over hte little mistakes untill they are perfect 100% perfect

Ive been playing for years and somedays i get so frustrated i wonder if im wasting my time studying music.
    Just take a step back, and try again, realise music takes a life time to learn, like anything else in life. but keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

rhapsody wrote: »
    Everyone blanks in lessons from time to time, even without being nervous in front of the teacher. As you get more comfortable with your teacher, this should be less of an issue. I'm sure your teacher can see how much effort you're putting in. Keep going with consistent practice- though an hour a day is more than I would expect of a beginner and I wonder how much 'useful' practice you're doing after e.g. 30 minutes. Are you working exclusively on your pieces in that time, or doing technical/aural exercises?
    As you say, you have a long musical journey ahead of you, so don't worry too much about the odd 'off' lesson and remember to enjoy yourself :)

Hi I spend the hour going over the same pieces again and again until I can play them without looking at the sheet music or the piano keys,just in my head.I haven't learnt scales yet,so far I've learnt dynamics,time signatures,etc..basic things.

shane9689 wrote: »
    but what it really means, is that you don't really know the piece as well as you thought you did... You should be able to play it without thinking.

to be honest I learn pieces with each hand,then I combine hands and then play until I can play without looking at the sheet music,I just play in my head,I don't think it's an issue of not knowing the pieces as well as I think I do,it's just nerves and I have high expectations of myself;.bur until yesterday my teacher has been pretty happy with timing,and my playing ability

But you've being playing for 10 years so I respect your knowledge and input thanks.

Advertisement