Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing Yacht

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

My wife got me a radio control sailing yacht for Christmas. I have no experience with models apart from a Char-G and a Nikko RC car! I want to put this thing out on the water but I'm a bit terrified of damaging it.

It's class - the handset controls the sails and the rudder - there is no inboard or outboard engine. I understand the points of sailing as I have done a little bit of dinghy sailing. But I'm not sure how easily this boat will capsize or how much damage a capsize will cause. Also, I am a little afraid of not being able to bring it back in off the water before it runs out of battery.

I have read the instructions and I plan to get familiar with the controls before bringing it out on the water. But has anyone here any good advice for me please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Where are you based?

Try and find a club in your local area that may be able to help you out. For example in south Dublin Herbert park and Blackrock park lakes are used for model sailings. Not sure what club etc but someone on here should know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I'm in the midlands, about 50 miles from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Hi

Have one of these myself. I wouldn't worry about capsizing as normally they are set so the sail can't be sheeted fully, so overpowering isn't an issue.

Top Tip: Only sail in an on shore wind that way if battery or distance cause you to lose control of the boat it will be blown back to you.

Enjoy

Velo Bro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Took my boat out for the first time last weekend. I think it could take a good bit of practice - made very little progress for the first ten minutes but eventually managed to sail out to the middle of the pond and do a tack and bring it back to shore. Thanks for the advice so far, I've got another question now. The batteries only last about 20 minutes - so about how much will I have to pay for a decent charger that can hold 12 batteries? Thanks again!

Advertisement