Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF seats next election

• 24-01-2011 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭

Spread is currently 28-31. Too tight a spread methinks but probably justified.

Anyone have any opinions either way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

i'd say they be lucky to get 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭3DataModem

smilerf wrote: »
    i'd say they be lucky to get 25

Really? You can get 7/2 on them getting <25. Fill your boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Bumsex

3DataModem wrote: »
    Really? You can get 7/2 on them getting <25. Fill your boots!

i wouldnt be saying fill your boots,by just one comment being made saying they would be luck to get 25...

johnjo seems to know a bit about politics betting so he might have a solid enough view about it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Aye, Jonjo is the only man for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

24 was the figure I have for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Derfil wrote: »
    24 was the figure I have for them

21-25 inclusive is 4/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Opinion polls are different from when election polls with local factors taken into account. If I was having a punt on it i'd say between 31-35 although id much prefer 0 seats for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

20 or less was available on PP yesterday at 4/1. Now 3/1. The Tribune had an analysis of the recent opinion poll that had FF at 14% nationwide and 10% in Dublin - giving them a minimum off 11 seats and a maximum of 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

i think 40-45 seats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ft9 wrote: »
    Aye, Jonjo is the only man for this.

:o Why thank you and yes you are right, i have never got a political bet wrong yet and most of my bets were big prices.
    Now i haven't had the chance to study the election yet and i will be waiting till nearer the time if ye can hold on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

25 seats would be a good FF result, given their recent antics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get less than 20 seats though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just looking at the Constituency betting for Dublin South and Eamon Ryan for the green's looks good at Evs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The Black Pearl

Just looking at the Constituency betting for Dublin South and Eamon Ryan for the green's looks good at Evs.

no access in work, what price is trevor sargent to get elected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A good lay at evens imo. My guess is he has little chance.
    He was elected on the ninth count in 2002, and on the eighth count in 2007. Since then he has been in a failed coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Ive seen quotes for Trevor Seargent of 9/4. I disagree with Jonjo, the reply was spot on, a great lay at evens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

i think 40-45 seats.

That's my feeling as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Celtic were always good for election markets.
    Wonder if they are doing it this time? Must pop in tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

Going to have a bet on this I'd say. My gut instinct is that it will be either 36-40 or 41-45, which are 4/1 and 7/1 respectively with paddy power.

I think Micheal Martin will come across well in any televised debates which are going to happen and will help Fianna Fail claw back a lot votes from former life-long/ die-hard supporters who at present feel they are going to vote for Fine Gael by default. I think he is quick-thinking and articulate enough to expose Eamon Gilmore and the Labour policy for it's soundbytes and unviable policies. I also believe that while the opinion polls show figures of 14% etc who are going to vote for Fianna Fail, I'd suspect there are many people who are, at the moment, reluctant to admit that they are going to vote for them, so I'd say the real figure is something like 20%. Going to wait to see what others think before I place a bet though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Fine Gael minority govt. at 16/1 is too big for me. Could well happen depending on what happens between them and Labour.

Have went with 36- 40 seats @ 4/1, 8 euro for interests sake really..

• Advertisement

^ this has gone to 3/1 now, and the odds in general are shifting to show that Fianna Fail are now expected to gain more seats than they were expected to a week or two ago.

I know they have taken a thrashing in the opinion polls over the last year or two but it's also true that they have won 75 or more seats in all but 1 general election since 1977 (they won 68 seats in 1992). Just going by this, it seems that 41 - 45 seats at 13/2 is a good bet; I can only see it getting shorter in the run up to the election. If Fianna Fail end up surprising us by doing better than we all expect, they will probably fall into this range.

I know a few people who feel they should vote Fine Gael by default but feel so disillusioned by this idea that they are deciding not to vote at all; If this is a common scenario, and I think it is, this will give Fianna Fail candidates a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

im looking at 36-40 or 41-45 i dont think it will as bad as people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Jaysus. I was way off.

Advertisement