Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Physical Fitness Test

Options
  • 03-06-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

Setting up this thread for some advice on the Physical Fitness Test.

Any advice from people that were maybe unfit and started training for it and for people that were fit and their training for it too?

Or general tips that you wish you would have known on the day of the test.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

I would definitely concentrate on the Beep Test - for me, it was (and remains) the bane of my existence. I failed my first campaign because of the beep test, but passed first time around in the 2019 campaign.

There's no two ways around it - find a straight stretch that you can mark out 20 metres on, for me it's my parents' tarmac (and I marked it a little longer at 21/22 metres). There are several apps out there that you can use, I have an iphone so I just downloaded 'Beep Test' app (green background with a white silhouette). It gives you the option of picking 15 metres or 20 metres and gives you an audible announcement each time it changes levels.

Do it again and again and again and again ... and again. There's no trick to it, it's just a matter of pacing yourself and getting better at using the space you have - don't step over the line, don't do a turn around, yes it's okay to have your back foot JUST touching the line and the other stepping waaaaaay out. It's okay to miss one beep, so long as you haul ass and meet the next one :)

No, running 5km or 10km won't get you used to a beep test. I can head off on a 10km run no problem, settle into my playlist and try beat my usual time, but I still end up bent over trying to catch my breath with the beep test :/

It's as much a mental hurdle as a physical one. Once you get the score you need once, that hurdle is out of your head and you know you can do it.

Maybe look into doing some personal training classes too? I go to the gym two or three times a week for strength and conditioning classes and I found it really helpful for keeping me in shape, and for helping me with the push/pull machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Currently waiting on a pct due to covid cancelling mine. I havn't done exercise in over 4 years properly. And had only started preparing myself 3 weeks prior to original date and to say if it had gone ahead I would of defo been looking at a re test, So covid for me was a blessing in disguise. It has given me proper time to prepare for my fitness. I've picked up running to build up my stamina and I've tackled the demo of the beep test and I'm just reaching my level as apposed to before I could only reach to level 4.
    Once gyms open back up get yourself in for some regular weight training for strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

the fitness test is all mental, at the end of the day you are only running 1.65-1.85 of a km, 7-8.5 mins total running, depending on which level to reach, which isn't a lot when you break it down, practice the bleep test a lot to learn the rhythm to get into, start slow and gradually pace yourself, quicker and quicker, your foot only has to touch the line, and if your quick on your step you can be turned and gone before the beep comes , near the higher levels

compared to Claire's very good advice above , I would strongly advise 5km running, during your training, if you can run a 5km in less then 26 mins then you will have absolutely no problem passing the fitness test as your body is used to that level of intensity of the '8.2-8.8' beep level, for a longer period of time, I have helped people for fitness tests, that 5km run time was 33 mins , and trained to get down to 26 mins in a short space of time, and then fly the fitness test,

again, the push pull, gyms are closed so your going to have to use your initiative, if you live on a farm get a 25 kg bag of fertiliser, sand, or anything over the crook of a gate near the hanger and stand near the fulcrum and get in the push pull stance and pull and push the gate while keeping stance,

these are only my opinions, everyone has different training techniques, but most importantly, practice the beep test at least twice a week,
    if anyone needs the beep recording, I can send it onto ya, or advise , feel free to message me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

Is the medical always b4 the pct?
    I'm struggling with sit ups and push ups. Currently doing a program from a pt hoping to be up to scratch by end of July guessing there may be pct happening then. As per the gossip.
    You just gotta do as much as u can repeat repeat repeat. Losing weight will help with push ups etc if ya need to.

Deano.f87 wrote: »
    Is the medical always b4 the pct?
    I'm struggling with sit ups and push ups. Currently doing a program from a pt hoping to be up to scratch by end of July guessing there may be pct happening then. As per the gossip.
    You just gotta do as much as u can repeat repeat repeat. Losing weight will help with push ups etc if ya need to.

Nope, generally the Medical will only be scheduled on condition that you pass the PCT. You will be sent an email before the PCT with a GP clearance form, this needs to be signed by your own GP and emailed back (I also brought a copy with me on the day of the PCT).

For me, I got the email with my PCT date and time and about a day later I got another email advising me that if successful with the PCT, I would be required to attend the medical in Dublin the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I'm still waiting for my fitness test.
    I passed my interview back in January, submitted the form b in early March but I haven't heard from them since, for those who have done it, are they usually this slow?
    Should I be getting onto them?

There was an issue with my form b that I had to rectify, but I emailed them the corrected version, surely that hasn't held me up, has it?

MrMiata wrote: »
    I passed my interview back in January, submitted the form b in early March but I haven't heard from them since, for those who have done it, are they usually this slow?

There was an issue with my form b that I had to rectify, but I emailed them the corrected version, surely that hasn't held me up, has it?

No, generally they're not this slow, but generally there also isn't a global pandemic going on either.

As we all know, things got put on the back burner in order to get a handle on this Covid situation. It wasn't possible to schedule PCTs when there were no staff in Templemore - all trainee members and instructors were sent out to stations to help with the pandemic.

It also wouldn't have been feasible to schedule PCTs and medicals when the wider public were instructed to stay home and social distance.

Things will get back to normality soon enough - we're getting there as it is, but public health is the priority.

No, generally they're not this slow, but generally there also isn't a global pandemic going on either.

As we all know, things got put on the back burner in order to get a handle on this Covid situation. It wasn't possible to schedule PCTs when there were no staff in Templemore - all trainee members and instructors were sent out to stations to help with the pandemic.

It also wouldn't have been feasible to schedule PCTs and medicals when the wider public were instructed to stay home and social distance.

Things will get back to normality soon enough - we're getting there as it is, but public health is the priority.

Thanks, yeah I know the whole things been delayed due to Covid, I just thought it was a little funny that I haven't heard a peep out of them since submitting my form b.

Fingers crossed things start getting back to normal!
    This delay was probably the best thing for me as it's given me time to work on my fitness.

Thanks, yeah I know the whole things been delayed due to Covid, I just thought it was a little funny that I haven't heard a peep out of them since submitting my form b.

Fingers crossed things start getting back to normal!
    This delay was probably the best thing for me as it's given me time to work on my fitness.

Don't stress too much :) I think there was six weeks to two months between submitting my Form B and doing my PCT. As I said, generally there wouldn't be this much time between them, but given the pandemic and the redistribution of personnel, it's be be expected.

They could continue with the vetting etc in the background, but PCTs and Medicals came to a standstill.

Things are starting to get rolling again now - they'll probably do the PCTs like how they're doing the intakes - few and often instead of one big batch like how it was, so just keep an eye on your emails and keep up the training ;)

reimay wrote: »

Or general tips..........

Get the bodyfat down ............

No, running 5km or 10km won't get you used to a beep test. I can head off on a 10km run no problem, settle into my playlist and try beat my usual time, but I still end up bent over trying to catch my breath with the beep test :/...........

What's your usual 10km time ?

St. Westy wrote: »
    ......... if you can run a 5km in less then 26 mins then you will have absolutely no problem passing the fitness test........

Indeed, the fitness test criteria isn't madly challenging for folk in any bit of shape.

• Advertisement

Don't stress too much :) I think there was six weeks to two months between submitting my Form B and doing my PCT. As I said, generally there wouldn't be this much time between them, but given the pandemic and the redistribution of personnel, it's be be expected.

They could continue with the vetting etc in the background, but PCTs and Medicals came to a standstill.

Things are starting to get rolling again now - they'll probably do the PCTs like how they're doing the intakes - few and often instead of one big batch like how it was, so just keep an eye on your emails and keep up the training ;)

Got off the couch and managed the 8.8 I need there today, delighted!
    I've taken up cycling and I think that's helped build up my legs.. and of course the running.

My main reason for asking was I'm actually still in college so I was hoping I'd get in before next September.. if not I'm paying out for fees only to leave part way through the year, but what can ya do.

Nope, generally the Medical will only be scheduled on condition that you pass the PCT. You will be sent an email before the PCT with a GP clearance form, this needs to be signed by your own GP and emailed back (I also brought a copy with me on the day of the PCT).

For me, I got the email with my PCT date and time and about a day later I got another email advising me that if successful with the PCT, I would be required to attend the medical in Dublin the following week.

Did you have to see your doc to get form signed. Mine is 3hours away its be a pain.

I only sent my formb in the other week. And when I emailed.them about a change they responded within an hour so they are defo working away. It's the covid that's stopping booking fitness test. Once they get the staff back in templemore it should kick off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

I've taken up cycling and I think that's helped build up my legs.. and of course the running.

My main reason for asking was I'm actually still in college so I was hoping I'd get in before next September.. if not I'm paying out for fees only to leave part way through the year, but what can ya do.
    You could be long finished college by the time you get the call to start your training so I wouldn’t worry too much. I did my medical a year ago this month, and I’m still waiting..

if your so sure about this career and that your going to take it, is it really necessary to finish the course? I know it looks good having your degree and all and jumping pay scales , I mean I understand if your paying to go into 3rd or 4th year , and getting a qualification, but other then that id be dropping out and getting a job in a factory for example and saving up the pennys,

a friend of mine was offered templemore and he was in his 3rd year of a business course, and got offered AGS in January and he was going dropping out but they actually encouraged him to finish his course and then offered him a place in a June intake, but that was 3 years ago now, different times now though of course

if your so sure about this career and that your going to take it, is it really necessary to finish the course? I know it looks good having your degree and all and jumping pay scales , I mean I understand if your paying to go into 3rd or 4th year , and getting a qualification, but other then that id be dropping out and getting a job in a factory for example and saving up the pennys,

a friend of mine was offered templemore and he was in his 3rd year of a business course, and got offered AGS in January and he was going dropping out but they actually encouraged him to finish his course and then offered him a place in a June intake, but that was 3 years ago now, different times now though of course

I just got word I passed my exams so I'll be going into 3rd year, if I am.. and if I am I've work placement.
    I was hoping to get called before September (or so) just so I would save myself a fortune on fees.

I've had this conversation with my parents and a few friends at work, if I get word on the guards I'll be taking it, college is fine but it's just passing time before I join.

how is everyones training going for the pct? a good audio to listen to, to get the inbetween levels (6.1 ,6.2 ect) is on youtube, type in 'beep test audio', its identical to the exam one

how is everyones training going for the pct? a good audio to listen to, to get the inbetween levels (6.1 ,6.2 ect) is on youtube, type in 'beep test audio', its identical to the exam one

Tipping away with it every week, mostly maintaining a good level rather than pushing too hard. As you probably remember, I'm only waiting for the next campaign to begin, so I have a while to wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Grassy_Knoll37

I have been training (football, cycling, gym) but not so much for the beep test. I need to get back into it in the next couple of weeks. I find the beep test very tough to train for. I can just about get to 8.5ish but Id like to give my self more of a buffer if Im being honest. Is everyone flat out training for it?

I think the push ups & sit ups will be ok. Hard to know what the obstacle course / push pull will be like really. Ive seen the Youtube video and they both look ok but its hard to know until you actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

I have been training (football, cycling, gym) but not so much for the beep test. I need to get back into it in the next couple of weeks. I find the beep test very tough to train for. I can just about get to 8.5ish but Id like to give my self more of a buffer if Im being honest. Is everyone flat out training for it?

I think the push ups & sit ups will be ok. Hard to know what the obstacle course / push pull will be like really. Ive seen the Youtube video and they both look ok but its hard to know until you actually do it.

The push pull is what catchs people out. I wouldnt worry, go flat out on the day and you will fly through it. Its more nerves than fitness that catches people out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LB1197

Just a quick bit of advice for anyone who has a PCT for the sit ups. The sit ups they require are full sit ups where your elbows touch the top of your knees.as opposed to crunches. Also I know this might sound stupid but how is everyone measuring out the 20m for practicing the beep test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

LB1197 wrote: »
    Just a quick bit of advice for anyone who has a PCT for the sit ups. The sit ups they require are full sit ups where your elbows touch the top of your knees.as opposed to crunches. Also I know this might sound stupid but how is everyone measuring out the 20m for practicing the beep test?

Cheers for the heads up!

I just used a 5m tape measure and some cones. I marked it out on a local basketball court so it was easy enough to do.

I'm pretty sure you can get builder tapes that are 20m+ so could always try one of those.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

LB1197 wrote: »

You can also get a measuring tape app on a smartphone.

Advertisement