Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve

Options
  • 14-03-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

I am 38, would they take me or am I gone over the hill ? I really want to try get into them. I am sorry I didn't do it years ago. In fact I am sorry I didn't apply to become a proper Garda but I know I am too old now for that now. I am happy in my current job but I want to experience being a Garda so the reserve will do for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

mondeo wrote: »
    I am 38, would they take me or am I gone over the hill ? I really want to try get into them. I am sorry I didn't do it years ago. In fact I am sorry I didn't apply to become a proper Garda but I know I am too old now for that now. I am happy in my current job but I want to experience being a Garda so the reserve will do for me.

Keep an eye on Public Jobs for reserve recruitment. Of course they would take you. Age limit for Reserves is 45 I think. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭gem112

Age limit is 60 I think... and can work to 65

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

mondeo wrote: »

Age limit (35) probably be lifted for next campaign.
    Commission for policing report

gem112 wrote: »
    Age limit is 60 I think... and can work to 65

Correct, for Reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

OL16 wrote: »
    Age limit (35) probably be lifted for next campaign. European Court ruling.

It's being appealed so that won't apply.

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    It's being appealed so that won't apply.

That's interesting. Where did you read that? I'd be interested in reading same.
    The age limit of 35 was appealed against a few years ago, appeal went to European Court of Law. They didn't rule and passed back to Irish Gov to deal with.
    I was under the impression from reading the Commission on policing and from Minister for Justice statement last year that age limit would be lifted as it was recommended. Apparently to be gone (age limit) for next campaign? ? 2021.
    I didn't know AGS/DOJ were appealing it now?

OL16 wrote: »
    That's interesting. Where did you read that? I'd be interested in reading same.
    The age limit of 35 was appealed against a few years ago, appeal went to European Court of Law. They didn't rule and passed back to Irish Gov to deal with.
    I was under the impression from reading the Commission on policing and from Minister for Justice statement last year that age limit would be lifted as it was recommended. Apparently to be gone (age limit) for next campaign? ? 2021.
    I didn't know AGS/DOJ were appealing it now?

Tbh now I can't find it, you may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vinny the Vet

Any currently serving Reservists hearing anything about being activated during Covid-19 emergency?
    RDF personnel beneficiaries of recent amendments to Defence Act protecting civvy job while called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The Garda Reserve never really became what McDowell wanted it to be. These current circumstances show the type of situation when it could have played a bigger role.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dean2020

Applying for the gardas this year rather apply for the reserves if am being honest am only 22 are they taking reserves this year can anyone let me now.

• Advertisement

It's not even clear if the intakes that were attested a few weeks ago will be making it back to finish their training this year or next yet. I don't think recruitment for the reserves is too high on the list of priorities atm to be honest. Sit tight for now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Failed at my first attempt about 2 years ago, had to give up my application at the time as there was too much going on. But anyway had looked at the reserves as well but given the annual recruitment numbers that were and are required I said I'll hold off until full time recruitment.

Given the trainees will have to go back to templemore to finish off and then whatever in takes are waiting to enter this year being probably delayed. I'd be surprised if there was recruitment this year. Alongside whatever the economic situation might be I'd say next year. But definitely hang on in there, that's what I'll be doing.

And remember if not the first time try again, I know people that got in on their 3rd go and in late 20s early 30s. Keep at it

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Dean2020

Keeping a good eye out for the reserves hoping this year they will take on more recruits l failed the prision service 2 times l did am not giving up hope tho joining fingers crossed they take on garda reserves this year am only 22 so l have loads of time to make it in templemore for full timey

Advertisement