Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am worried I have caught Lyme Disease

• 30-09-2020 10:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭

I am concerned that I have got Lyme Disease.

I regularly hike, about 3-4 days a week. The route transverses a forest and shrubs. I haven't hiked in two days, but last night I had a severe intense itch that felt like hives, it would not subside.

I got showered earlier today and noticed that I had a bullseye shaped hive like spot. I thought of Lyme disease straight away and went to the GP. I have been given a prescription of 3 weeks of Doxycycline but i'm worried this is not enough.

When I came home, I found a tick in my bed. So, this was definitely a tick bite.

I have read up on this and do not have any symptoms yet. Aside from an itchy leg.

What can I do about this? Should I be concerned? Will the medication get rid of the Lyme Disease? I am young and don't want to suffer with ill health.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Did the doc tell you what it might be? Check out cellulitis, I've got it from a fly bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Can't say for sure but cellulitis is a real possibility. If it is, the antibiotics will fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Water John wrote: »
    Did the doc tell you what it might be? Check out cellulitis, I've got it from a fly bite.

The doctor suggested that it was erythema migrans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have had tick bites; they itch like crazy.

And be assured that not all ticks carry Lyme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That doesn't look like a bullseye type rash more of a reaction to the bite. How did you manage to miss a tick there? They usually hang on for a couple of days.

The chances of you catching lymes is quite low but take the prescription and hopefully you'll be grand. An imprtnant lesson learned about hiking in long grass etc and checking yourself over afterwards.

• Advertisement

Well here’s another photo from today for clarification. To me it looks like there is a light ring around the infection site.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have had tick bites; they itch like crazy.

And be assured that not all ticks carry Lyme.

Well how do I know if it is Lyme or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Would it be a horsefly bite - had one of them few weeks back and it looked similar, not sure if they are still about now however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I got showered earlier today and noticed that I had a bullseye shaped hive like spot. I thought of Lyme disease straight away and went to the GP. I have been given a prescription of 3 weeks of Doxycycline but i'm worried this is not enough.

You shouldn't worry. If the tick carried lyme disease the antibiotic will sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Looks like a Tick bite alright

Could also be a horse Fly bite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Well here’s another photo from today for clarification. To me it looks like there is a light ring around the infection site.

I got exactly that working I've been told it's a spider bite.
    Tick bites have multiple rings all the same I'd like to get checked too. It itched and had goosebumps I was knackered and went to bed

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That doesn't look like a bullseye type rash more of a reaction to the bite. How did you manage to miss a tick there? They usually hang on for a couple of days.

The chances of you catching lymes is quite low but take the prescription and hopefully you'll be grand. An imprtnant lesson learned about hiking in long grass etc and checking yourself over afterwards.

I don’t know. I didn’t think to check my leg. But rest assured I will be checking again if I go hiking anytime soon.

Regarding Lyme Disease I’m not sure. I have read that you can test negative if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I got lyme disease.
    Got know when I got it first but the symptoms were terrible.
    Eventually the doc got me tested for Lyme disease and the test was negative.
    After another few months of not being able to fuigure out what was wrong with me he sent for another lyme test somewhere else.
    This time it was positive.
    I had some strong antibiotics for 3 weeks on three different occassions.
    The symptoms have been slowly fading now for about 3 years and id say its more or less gone. But its not a nice experience.
    So big dose of antibiotics now and make sure if it is there you get it now, because symptoms dont appear for years.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    I got exactly that working I've been told it's a spider bite.
    Tick bites have multiple rings all the same I'd like to get checked too. It itched and had goosebumps I was knackered and went to bed

I don’t have any symptoms yet but would like to get this checked out.

I don’t know. I didn’t think to check my leg. But rest assured I will be checking again if I go hiking anytime soon.

Regarding Lyme Disease I’m not sure. I have read that you can test negative if you have it.

Doxycycline is an Antibiotic used to treat Lyme Disease in early stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Doxycycline is an Antibiotic used to treat Lyme Disease in early stages.

It's regularly given on suspicion of a tick bite. It looks like a horsefly bite to me but better to treat as a tick bite.

It is a tick bite. I found the tick in my bed.

Send a picture of it

It is a tick bite. I found the tick in my bed.

You shouldn’t worry so. You have been put on Doxycycline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Send a picture of it

There are only two pages in the thread, two pics up already, go and read.

• Advertisement

This was mine digging a hole by a bunch of cut down bushes on side of road had my arm against the ground found this on my arm later on

I meant the tick in his bed watery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ask your doctor to test for it. And as others have said since I posted, your GP has already covered that eventuality. You have a good GP there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What is this? Spam central?

Advertisement