Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD RED Pro 4TB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

alan4cult wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up OP! I don't want to sound ungrateful, but...
    Absolutely every WD (except 1) I've ever bought (about 6), has broke on me. The 1 that didn't break is currently in a NAS, it used to have a partner WD. The partner broke, so I replaced it with a Seagate.

WD can GTFO. Not worth the bloody headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I have 3 WD 8TB running 24/7 since August 2017, all are still healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Absolutely every WD (except 1) I've ever bought (about 6), has broke on me. The 1 that didn't break is currently in a NAS, it used to have a partner WD. The partner broke, so I replaced it with a Seagate.

I have the opposite problem. I've lost 3 Seagates in last 5 years and lost 1 WD. I have more WDs than Seagates.

But I've also moved to Seagate Ironwolf Pros and they are good but seriously noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

It doesn't matter what type of disks you have, they will all fail at one stage or another, so have a backup on a separate device at all times.

Ideally adopt the 3-2-1 strategy, 3 copies of data, on 2 different types of media and 1 of them offisite.

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what type of disks you have, they will all fail at one stage or another, so have a backup on a separate device at all times.

Ideally adopt the 3-2-1 strategy, 3 copies of data, on 2 different types of media and 1 of them offisite.

Yes but lifespan must be considered else I'd run the full array with WD Blues and spend time constantly changing them. I've found superior lifetime across WD Reds and 1 Gold but then I had some cheap Seagates so it's an unfair comparison.

But agreed, all drives will fail regardless of quality and yes I have a 321 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I buy 8tb WD My Books for ~£120 in Amazon and shuck them. They used to have reds in them but now have HSTG Helium’s which are enterprise grade and have similar performance. I’m running unraid with dual parity so can afford to lose a drive occasionally. I do have my photos backed up to the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Do you realise how stupid these posts about hard drive brands are.. You know I've read the exact same type of post about every manufacturer.. I had a customer point blank refuse a seagate drive replacement insisted on WD after his current seagate failed. All mechanical disks fail. Just like all car manufacturers parts have failures.

Down to £123.57 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TheWatcher182

Avoid WD where at all possible.

• Advertisement

Avoid WD where at all possible.
    Care to elaborate, these are WD Pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Care to elaborate, these are WD Pros.

Read back 3 posts

FFVII wrote: »
    Read back 3 posts
    Still none the wiser and I don't think this commentary is helpful to the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Seriously? I get that this is only my anecdotal, single-datapoint, but I have had 10 WD drives in about the last 7 years. 4x 2TB Green and more recently 4x 4TB Red and 2x 3TB Red. The Greens were 24x7 for about 3.5 years up until I upgraded the NAS. Reds have all been 24x7 for more then 3 years now. The only issue I have experienced is one Red failing just (2 months) outside the warranty period. WD extended the warranty and sent me a new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Etnies wrote: »
    Do you realise how stupid these posts about hard drive brands are.. You know I've read the exact same type of post about every manufacturer.. I had a customer point blank refuse a seagate drive replacement insisted on WD after his current seagate failed. All mechanical disks fail. Just like all car manufacturers parts have failures.

Agreed. It's how the failures are dealt with that makes the difference, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still none the wiser and I don't think this commentary is helpful to the bargain.

Not a bargain though.

14€/TB is considered good value. You're miles above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

ED E wrote: »
    Not a bargain though.

Show me a link where you will get a WD red pro for anywhere around €56 so!

ED E wrote: »
    Not a bargain though.

Not for a 7200RPM CMR NAS Drive though.

Back to OP price now.

Back again, seems to be bouncing around £125.

• Advertisement
Advertisement