Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramadol/Zydol addiction?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 11:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have depenency issues with Zydol?...i'm wondering at what doses and period of time does one become dependent....if you're taking it without having pain....that's addiction, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

If you think you might be in trouble, then it's time to talk to someone :-)

Sooner rather than later I'd say

Sorry if that's a bit vague, but it's the best advice at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

neemish wrote: »
    If you think you might be in trouble, then it's time to talk to someone :-)

Sooner rather than later I'd say

Sorry if that's a bit vague, but it's the best advice at this stage.

Zydol has a dose of morphine in it so it can be addictive......contact your gp and see if he or she can help you with coming off it. Or if your gp can't help they can refer you to a substances abuse counsellor. Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Does anyone have depenency issues with Zydol?...i'm wondering at what doses and period of time does one become dependent....if you're taking it without having pain....that's addiction, right?

You need to talk to a doctor, they've seen it before so no big deal at all.

Just go " I think i'm getting a bit fond of this , taking it without having pain , how should I safely stop"

Especially avoid advice from random loopers who heard of cold-turkey one time and now they feel "empowered" & think they are doctors.

Bit of random googling :

"(1) Tramadol carries a risk of dependence and abuse, even in patients with no history of drug abuse. (2) Abrupt withdrawal of treatment with tramadol, even at the recommended dose, can induce withdrawal symptoms. (3) In practice, patients must be advised to stop their treatment gradually, especially after lengthy treatment periods. Prescription renewals are a good opportunity to re-assess the need for tramadol. Use of this opioid analgesic should not be trivialised."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12825576

"We describe here the first case of Tramadol addiction and withdrawal in an elderly female patient in apparently good physical health. We report successful treatment with mirtazapine and clonidine. We believe that patients must be advised to take Tramadol regularly and to stop gradually especially after long treatment periods; moreover physicians must consider the potential physical dependence when they prescribe Tramadol for pain. Hence, we are observing some patients who continue to take Tramadol in order to achieve a feeling of well-being, even though their pain is controlled after disease regression. Finally, the establishing of an evidence-based Tramadol detoxification protocol would be highly desirable."

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18547496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I quit taking Zydol, very easy to get hooked on. My advice is try and go without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

anmhi02 wrote: »
    Zydol has a dose of morphine in it so it can be addictive...

Zydol does not contain Morphine.
    It contains Tramadol.
    Now, it is true that Tramadol and Morphine are like cousins, but one is not the other.
    You might as well state that Tropicana Orange Juice contains Limes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

OP I work for the addiction services, I have only encountered one case where tramadol was been used in an addictive manner. However, if you think you have a problem with how you use this drug contact you local addiction services. If you PM me your location I will give you the contact number for the nearest service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rockyroadblues

i was put on tylex and then tramadol after a serious fall ,,found i wasgettin hooked on tramadol ..i just stopped taking them ,,not advisable ,,as withdrawels was not nice ,,,discuss with your G.P IS VERY IMPORTANT ...BEST OF LUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I used to be on this, made me feel all nice and fuzzy, but did nothing for the pain! Can see how people would get addicted very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I might be a bit long in the tooth posting this in a 3 week old thread.
    But maybe it would be useful for someone.
    My own experience with tramadol is that it is not addictive. I have been prescribed it for over 6 months now along with other non opiate medications.
    With college work etc I was not able to organise an appointment and was without the medication with tramadol "ixprim" for 8 days. Did not suffer any of the so called withdrawals. Nor did I feel any of the highs mentioIned. This is from someone who has abused drugs in the past. I think peoples experience of these drugs can vary substantially.

In thepast I was prescribed clonidine for migraine. This is one of the drugs mentioned as a treatment for addiction to the mentioned drug.

Just to finish if anyone is addicted to their meds speak to your GP. Equally communicate any difficulties you might have with your withdrawal regain.

Good luck, good health and stay safe
    gctest50 wrote: »
    You need to talk to a doctor, they've seen it before so no big deal at all.

Just go " I think i'm getting a bit fond of this , taking it without having pain , how should I safely stop"

Especially avoid advice from random loopers who heard of cold-turkey one time and now they feel "empowered" & think they are doctors.

Bit of random googling :

"(1) Tramadol carries a risk of dependence and abuse, even in patients with no history of drug abuse. (2) Abrupt withdrawal of treatment with tramadol, even at the recommended dose, can induce withdrawal symptoms. (3) In practice, patients must be advised to stop their treatment gradually, especially after lengthy treatment periods. Prescription renewals are a good opportunity to re-assess the need for tramadol. Use of this opioid analgesic should not be trivialised."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12825576

"We describe here the first case of Tramadol addiction and withdrawal in an elderly female patient in apparently good physical health. We report successful treatment with mirtazapine and clonidine. We believe that patients must be advised to take Tramadol regularly and to stop gradually especially after long treatment periods; moreover physicians must consider the potential physical dependence when they prescribe Tramadol for pain. Hence, we are observing some patients who continue to take Tramadol in order to achieve a feeling of well-being, even though their pain is controlled after disease regression. Finally, the establishing of an evidence-based Tramadol detoxification protocol would be highly desirable."

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18547496

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I was on it after sepsis after my wisdom teeth and a really bad ear infection before, I really needed it but i also really enjoyed it.

Started taking a few on Saturday nights relaxing. I had a moment of panic when the box was gone and also a moment of realisation that it was madness.

I was prescribed them again recently for another ear infection but thankfully it did not manifest like the last time so i took them as required and washed the rest down the drain bar two in case of emergency but i have no gra to take them.

Its a slippery slope these days as doctors throw out medication way too willy nilly i think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What I didn't know is that if you've had any treatment for substances, you have to tell the occupational health people if you're getting a job in the pubic service. I'd imagine private companies will seek out that info as well.

I was certainly glad I didn't get my addiction seen to by medical professionals when I discovered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have not found most GPs clued up re withdrawal.

Many years ago now when I was on 20 mg of Valium at night, a dr new to me told me he did not like my being on so much and he was intending to drop it from 10 mg to 4 overnight.

By then I had researched withdrawal and knew the dangers of that,

So I contacted a UK group called Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction and researched and slowly over literally over a year reduced little by little at fortnightly intervals.

I did rush the last stage which resulted in several years of excruciating headaches.

It needs expert support and frankly the best way is via people who have been through it.

Temaz wrote: »
    I quit taking Zydol, very easy to get hooked on. My advice is try and go without them.

I recently tried Tramadol and it gave me an almighty high. Needless to say I am not trying it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Graces7 wrote: »
    I recently tried Tramadol and it gave me an almighty high. Needless to say I am not trying it again.

When I needed it I would take it in the morning because it would send my thoughts into overdrive ( nice thoughts). If I took it in the evening would be zero chance I was sleeping that night.

Found it very effective for my pain but would use it very sparingly, only when I really needed it.

When I needed it I would take it in the morning because it would send my thoughts into overdrive ( nice thoughts). If I took it in the evening would be zero chance I was sleeping that night.

Found it very effective for my pain but would use it very sparingly, only when I really needed it.

You'd think it would help you sleep! I had them last week with my ear ache and i was tossing and turning all night. Tho id take that over the pain any day.

You'd think it would help you sleep! I had them last week with my ear ache and i was tossing and turning all night. Tho id take that over the pain any day.

That is what they call Hobson's choice. Ear ache is one of the worst. Inside your head. Getting off Valium left me with intractable one sided facial neuralgia which was as invasive. Optic nerve pain.

While we are on this subject!

How have folk fared getting off Tylex, please? or any codeine meds? They are the only meds that ease pain enough to keep me mobile but there is a situation re drs where I live and once before I was left without them.

It finally after 4 months was revealed that the dr here had not sent for my notes so thought I was a junkie after codeine. ( I am headed for 80 so they had quite an imagination! ) It was in that scare re codeine, When I realised they did not have my notes I contacted my excellent former GP and he sorted it . I have been on the same stable dose for some 14 years.

I had to spend food money on Nurofen plus etc and was made to feel like a a junkie going round to different pharmacies. And they were not strong enough to deal with the nerve pain I am left with,

I am starting to try cutting down. Not sure what to expect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Graces7, there are better meds for neuropathic pain. I'd talk to your GP. For my MS related nerve damage, i use gabapentin and amitriptyline, which help a good bit.

Graces7, there are better meds for neuropathic pain. I'd talk to your GP. For my MS related nerve damage, i use gabapentin and amitriptyline, which help a good bit.

Many thanks but tried amitryp and it did not suit.

I am very happy with the codeine. It works well for me M.E is a complicated beastie and there is joint and muscle pain thrown in.

also I am lucky to get anything as most drs here, including in hospital, have never heard of M.E. If you say " Chronic Fatigue" you may get some reaction but it is trivialised as there is no accessible test. If they tested the mitochondria… Current GP ignores it totally and I am too weary to fight that battle any more. Nearly 80 .. I was blessed in Kerry to have an excellent GP and it is on his referral that I was given any meds here.

Just now we are desperately lacking in GPs around here. So as long as I can get Tylex etc.

I hope you are doing well. I know MS is appalling. M.E is a way of life .

Blessings and peace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Graces7 wrote: »
    Many thanks but tried amitryp and it did not suit.

I am very happy with the codeine. It works well for me M.E is a complicated beastie and there is joint and muscle pain thrown in.

also I am lucky to get anything as most drs here, including in hospital, have never heard of M.E. If you say " Chronic Fatigue" you may get some reaction but it is trivialised as there is no accessible test. If they tested the mitochondria… Current GP ignores it totally and I am too weary to fight that battle any more. Nearly 80 .. I was blessed in Kerry to have an excellent GP and it is on his referral that I was given any meds here.

Just now we are desperately lacking in GPs around here. So as long as I can get Tylex etc.

I hope you are doing well. I know MS is appalling. M.E is a way of life .

Blessings and peace

Can it be caused by low orexin levels? I don't think you can get a test done in Ireland but doctors in the U.S. can measure it. Orexin is basically the master hormone of wakefulness and people who have narcolepsy are deficient in it.

I find it interesting that GP's though refuse to prescribe anything stronger than tramadol.

It's not a very good opiate IMO, same as codeine. Firstly, they are prodrugs and thus need to be metabolized by the liver to work. Things like oxycodone (which is available in Ireland but good luck getting a GP to prescribe it), and morphine (Oramorph) can cross the blood-brain barrier instantly.

Tramadol can also cause seizures in high doses (more than 400mg). As I said, it's not really a traditional opiate, more quasi-opiate. It's an SNRI.

• Advertisement

mr_f

There is no way I would listen to advice from a non-medical person who does not see that eg oxycodone is a very dangerous drug or that morphine is not for everyday use but in dire supervised care.

as I said I am perfectly happy with what my GP prescribes. he and I know what we are doing.

If as with many of us, the meds we are prescribed work then no need for stronger.

I am sorry that your own pain is so bad.

Has anyone here had issues with their ears after using tramadol? Thank fully i haven't had to use it in months but i get this whoosing noise in my ear at times and it got bad any time i had to use tramadol. I have done some research and some people that have used it for prolonged use of Tramadol have had ear/hearing issues after.

Advertisement