Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic car insurance, left hand drive, named driver

Options
  • 22-07-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I've been searching but I haven't seen a thread that covers my particular situation. I've recently got my classic American car ready for the road but I'm finding it hard to find an insurer that will take me on.

The main sticking points are I'm a named driver on the wife's policy for our main car so I have no no claims bonus or policy of my own. For context I've 14 years driving experience and a clean license.

Campion was the only one that didn't mind that but as soon as I said LHD it was a no. The wife is reluctant to transfer her NCB to me as she drives the main car 80% of the time so that isn't really an avenue I can go down.

If anyone has had experience insuring a LHD classic in the past year in particular and doesn't have their own policy I'd appreciate any help.

I can't be the only one in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,883 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to boards :)

I've had classic policies through First Ireland, where I had no insurance on a normal car in my own name, but was a named driver on my wife's policy, just like you.

Give them a ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi all,

I've been searching but I haven't seen a thread that covers my particular situation. I've recently got my classic American car ready for the road but I'm finding it hard to find an insurer that will take me on.

The main sticking points are I'm a named driver on the wife's policy for our main car so I have no no claims bonus or policy of my own. For context I've 14 years driving experience and a clean license.

Campion was the only one that didn't mind that but as soon as I said LHD it was a no. The wife is reluctant to transfer her NCB to me as she drives the main car 80% of the time so that isn't really an avenue I can go down.

If anyone has had experience insuring a LHD classic in the past year in particular and doesn't have their own policy I'd appreciate any help.

I can't be the only one in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Get your wife to insure the classic and name you. Left hand drive isn't an issue. Try first ireland. i insured a LHD classic with them earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Joe_mccffrty

Thanks for the reply gents, but both First Ireland and Carol Nash said I need a policy in my own name to take out a classic policy. FI said that their acceptance criteria hasn't changed in the past 2 years.

What about uk insurers that offer cover in ROI excluding Auto line, it was a no from them for the same reasons. Anyone had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,883 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thanks for the reply gents, but both First Ireland and Carol Nash said I need a policy in my own name to take out a classic policy. FI said that their acceptance criteria hasn't changed in the past 2 years.

It looks like their policy has changed then. I've had classic policies with them almost non stop from 2008 until 2020 and ALL of them were where my classic was my only insured car (and me being a named driver on the family car). This was a construction that they suggested themselves!

Autoline will insure a classic without having a daily car insured in your name, but their policies are generally nowhere near as cheap as other classic policies

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, I insured a 1979 fiat X19 using insure my van brokers. It required a call and worth a try. I didn't require a Policy in my own name albeit I had. The policy on the x19 was completely seperate, insured from 2016 to 2018 and with Avviva albeit arranged through Insure my van, since sold on. Worth a call

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

I've just got off the phone with insure my van (now cover in a click) for cars and they aren't taking on any new classic policies I'm afraid.

Autoline said no last week but I'm going to try my case again. This time as a name driver on my wife's classic policy.

I've just got off the phone with insure my van (now cover in a click) for cars and they aren't taking on any new classic policies I'm afraid.

Autoline said no last week but I'm going to try my case again. This time as a name driver on my wife's classic policy.

Real pity, sorry to hear this, was worth a try :)

And it's a no from Autoline as I don't have my own policy. I've also tried a few local brokers and it's a no. People insuring 20 year old Corollas and the like as a second family car has caused the insurers to clampdown hard on policy criteria. Which doesn't do folks like me any favours. Any other suggestions?

And it's a no from Autoline as I don't have my own policy. I've also tried a few local brokers and it's a no. People insuring 20 year old Corollas and the like as a second family car has caused the insurers to clampdown hard on policy criteria. Which doesn't do folks like me any favours. Any other suggestions?

Just a thought, vintage car clubs had links, discounts etc with a number of insurance companies, not sure if your a member of any such club. I do however recall you had to have a full policy in your own name to avail of quote. Discounts etc so this looks like your biggest obstacle

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Have a look at the IVETA website. Insurance cover is fairly basic from what I understand and you need to join the club. There are a number of mobile numbers for their "Insurance coordinators" listed on the website so maybe give one of them a buzz and talk your case through with them. Campions handle their business.

• Advertisement

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Have a look at the IVETA website. Insurance cover is fairly basic from what I understand and you need to join the club. There are a number of mobile numbers for their "Insurance coordinators" listed on the website so maybe give one of them a buzz and talk your case through with them. Campions handle their business.

Good news at last! IVETA were able to get me cover through Campion (TPF&T only). I had already went to Campion myself but was declined. All I need to do is join IVETA (€30).

Really appreciate the help on this guys and hopefully this thread will help a few other genuine enthusiasts get on the road as well.

Advertisement