Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 26th: Snow for some, miniature flags for others

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The snow is getting going now in the UK midlands. Didn't take long to turn. Significant snow for some there.
    Not widespread it seems - raining at Leicester City v Spurs and snowing at West Bromwich v Man City.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dewpoint

how is it flop? we are all seasoned enough to know that in these scenarios it usually goes wrong for us while England gains .

we need to move on from the events of December 2010, it was wondrous, amazing, whatever adjectives you wish to use, but events like that are extremely rare - for us we usually do no better than northern topplers in a typical irish winter, some years we don't even get any snow. if you are expecting a prolonged cold out break with winds from the northeast anytime soon, you are very likely going to be disappointed. i say this because there is a lot of hopcasting over on netweather about the stratosphere changing the current pattern, but those who analyse more soberly, like the uk met office,see no strong signal for this to happen.

couldn't agree more. so close but yet so far. Temps are starting to drop now but most of the precipitation is gone, again a very common scenario for this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

The snow is getting going now in the UK midlands. Didn't take long to turn. Significant snow for some there.

Exactly where in the UK is the snow getting going now? All METARs and Synops are showing only rain, apart from one solitary station - Capel Curig - at 216 m.. Dewpoints well above zero.

Today is a non-snow day, plain and simple

Latest METARs
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gmetar?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2014&mes=12&day=26&hora=16&min=30&vsg=Sg

and Synops
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2014&mes=12&day=26&hora=16&min=0&vsg=Sg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

FWVT wrote: »
    Exactly where in the UK is the snow getting going now? All METARs and Synops are showing only rain, apart from one solitary station - Capel Curig - at 216 m.. Dewpoints well above zero.

Today is a non-snow day, plain and simple

Latest METARs
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gmetar?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2014&mes=12&day=26&hora=16&min=30&vsg=Sg

and Synops
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2014&mes=12&day=26&hora=16&min=0&vsg=Sg

Not seen the news yet ? Pics paint a thousand words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

I do agree Nacho
    By flop,I mean,the hope casting not just in netweather over the past while but by mt here,even this morning
    We kind of all know how these threads pan out
    I got given out to by one of the regulars on the FI thread by saying it's a fairy story but any serious Irish met person would have known what was going to pan out today,that's why they don't go mad like mt does and have people thinking there might be snow when there will be none

If a realistic trend towards a North easterly appears,I'll return but as it stands,nothing else bar a few storms is anything other than boring and even they aren't too exciting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If only 2010 was the norm :-(

Why would you want 2010 to be the norm when it is obvious that this country can't cope with even the slightest bit of snow and ice? The wet slush we get here is nothing like the proper powder snow that they get in Scandiland in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Why would you want 2010 to be the norm when it is obvious that this country can't cope with even the slightest bit of snow and ice? The wet slush we get here is nothing like the proper powder snow that they get in Scandiland in any case.

A few days of work perhaps?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Not seen the news yet ? Pics paint a thousand words.

No, I can't find any live snowfalls on the news, not even Sky News! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

how is it flop? we are all seasoned enough to know that in these scenarios it usually goes wrong for us while England gains .

we need to move on from the events of December 2010, it was wondrous, amazing, whatever adjectives you wish to use, but events like that are extremely rare - for us we usually do no better than northern topplers in a typical irish winter, some years we don't even get any snow. if you are expecting a prolonged cold out break with winds from the northeast anytime soon, you are very likely going to be disappointed. i say this because there is a lot of hopcasting over on netweather about the stratosphere changing the current pattern, but those who analyse more soberly, like the uk met office,see no strong signal for this to happen.

Hi Nacho,

I think you make a fair point about England gaining in a weather scenario such as today. However, let's put things into perspective:

1. Apart from the boards members, I don't know of any of my family or friends that were expecting snow today.

2. The vast majority of low lying England is not getting any snow. Any snow that settles this evening will most likely melt tomorrow and be very short-lived.

3. Check out the rubbish currently being circulated on UK media such as the following link from Sky News suggesting "Boxing Day Snow as UK slides towards -15oC"..........as the English would say, what utter tosh!! I am sure most of the English population are scratching their heads at such headlines :D I mean, if you were a visitor coming from Australia and about to land in the UK, I have a feeling (if you like snow), you would be in for a big disappointment. http://news.sky.com/story/1397761/boxing-day-snow-as-uk-slides-towards-15c

4. I would not be writing off the chances of cold from the east anytime soon. The pattern over western Europe can change quite quickly. Fair enough, there is a lot of hope casting over on NetWeather UK. I tend to go with more reputable posters such as MT and I believe we will have a chance at some decent snowfalls as the winter progresses - we are only at the 26th December and it can snow in Ireland after St Patrick's Day....so we all need a bit of patience.

Finally, I am not disappointed with today's so called "event" at all. Simply because I was only expecting rain from it. Anything from the west that promises snow should be treated with the utmost caution. It is usually VERY marginal and short lived.

Just a few of my thoughts on St Stephen's Day and Happy to Christmas to all on Boards.ie :)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not widespread it seems - raining at Leicester City v Spurs and snowing at West Bromwich v Man City.

Totally useless fact but West Broms pitch is the highest in the league, 552 feet above sea level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Totally useless fact but West Broms pitch is the highest in the league, 552 feet above sea level.

552 feet above sea level ....says it all really doesn't it?!! :D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I do agree Nacho
    By flop,I mean,the hope casting not just in netweather over the past while but by mt here,even this morning
    I got given out to by one of the regulars on the FI thread by saying it's a fairy story but any serious Irish met person would have known what was going to pan out today,that's why they don't go mad like mt does and have people thinking there might be snow when there will be none

If a realistic trend towards a North easterly appears,I'll return but as it stands,nothing else bar a few storms is anything other than boring and even they aren't too exciting

One of the best contributions I have seen on here take a bow....

Having said that, Liverpool and East Midlands airports are closed now due snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I do agree Nacho

Well hold on. Get your facts straight.

Nobody said there was going to be widespread or disruptive snow today or even any snow for that matter at low levels.

Met Eireann issued a warning. The OP is not a serious post and is partially making fun of it. It's only there because there was an official advisory in place.

I also think you are unfair on MTC here who has given a lot of his own time and effort making highly credible forecasts for a small island in the north Atlantic from the other side of Canada.

A bit of perspective please.

If you don't like the set up here which has both entertained and provided a valuable source of information and learning in the last 10 years then I am sure there are more sterile forums on the internet more suited to how you and others might feel the weather forum should be. Show that to the onlookers and they may not be so enticed. I think most like it the way it is to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the forecast now on TV there is no snow on the way in fact next week will be very mild

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dewpoint

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Looking at the forecast now on TV there is no snow on the way in fact next week will be very mild

I wouldn't take anything beyond 72hrs as gospel. sure look at what just happened today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Can I ask were you are getting your info I can't find any story that says Liverpool airport is closed.

Can I ask were you are getting your info I can't find any story that says Liverpool airport is closed.

METAR EGGP 261750Z 08013KT 3000 R09/0700 SN OVC003 00/M00
    Q1011 RERA R/SNOCLO=

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

C'mon people it's just a bit of fun on here... as much as I enjoy all the ramping up of snow events that happens on here - unfortunately they rarely come to pass. Met Eireann may not always get the forecast right but it's probably fair to say they get it right more frequently than others.

I've been following the weather forums for a few years now and all I've really learnt is, the gulf-streams warm air wins over the cold air from the arctic and east wins 9 times out of 10!

Now I'm going to retire to my bunker while all the snow-rampers send out a lynch-mob for me! lol

PS: If you think I'm totally pro-Met Eireann please take a look at a post I left, on another weather thread criticising them about their forecast of a 'breeze' in Cork / Munster this evening. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I can't send links / photos as a new user, but if you search on Instagram for #liverpool you will see everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I can't send links / photos as a new user, but if you search on Instagram for #liverpool you will see everything.

There is sod all snow in Liverpool , the usual exaggerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

So after all our talk in the other threads and all the hype we are ending up with another flop

A little puzzled by this comment to be honest, and by other posts that display a level of disappointment in today's event. It was never going to be anything other than very sloppy, messy and miserable day, a look at the actual synoptics could have told you this.

Looks like parts of central/eastern England could see a lot of wet snow this evening and overnight. Nothing major, but hey, snow is snow, whatever form it takes. :)

332788.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well it is snowing in Liverpool

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/snow-starts-fall-merseyside-winter-8348183

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I must be seeing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

https://twitter.com/dazza1405/status/548539801478389760

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The low was further north than forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

derekon wrote: »
    Hi Nacho,

4. I would not be writing off the chances of cold from the east anytime soon. The pattern over western Europe can change quite quickly. Fair enough, there is a lot of hope casting over on NetWeather UK. I tend to go with more reputable posters such as MT and I believe we will have a chance at some decent snowfalls as the winter progresses - we are only at the 26th December and it can snow in Ireland after St Patrick's Day....so we all need a bit of patience.

Finally, I am not disappointed with today's so called "event" at all. Simply because I was only expecting rain from it. Anything from the west that promises snow should be treated with the utmost caution. It is usually VERY marginal and short lived.

Just a few of my thoughts on St Stephen's Day and Happy to Christmas to all on Boards.ie :)

D

just to be clear, i was more so expecting some snow tonight once the front cleared, but that was wishful thinking on my part. i should have known better, because as dewpoint mentioned earlier on, in these situations once the dewpoint is sufficiently low enough for snow to fall, the precipitation is usually absent anyway, bar coastal areas of the north and north west.

As you say we may well get snow as the winter progresses. Afterall February is the optimum month for snow in Ireland anyway:)

ps
    thanks for the good wishes. all the best to you too Derek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Snow maybe for Athens, Rome and Algiers and that part of the world.
    There is no way back from this! Early daffs this year.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014122612/ECM1-144.GIF?26-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

North Dublin, moderate rain, 3.9c, DP 3.3c.

Advertisement