Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish book for young children

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

hi all,
    I am currently working abroad and would really like to find a book to read to young (2-4 yo) children in Irish. It would be great if it also had the words in english so they could become familiar with the story.
    I seem to remember some spot the dog books in this format?
    Anyway, wold love some recommendations! also if anyone knows where to buy online that will deliver outside of ireland!

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Clo Mhaigh Eo have three children's books that are in four languages written and illustrated by Ciara Ni Dhuinn - Numbers, Colours and Shapes and Conversation. If you look at the O'Brien online catalogue you can find several of their children's books are published in both Irish and English, so you can put the two side by side. Mantra Lingua have in the past published some of their books in bilingual Irish/English (and other languages) editions and they used to produce the Talking Pen and Talking Dictionary, but they're difficult to find now. You might find a few of their titles at Little Linguists or Language Lizard. One book I would recommend from them is The Children of Lir (Irish/English), retold by Dawn Casey and beautifully illustrated by Diana Mayo, the Irish is in the Munster dialect. Obviously all the major publishers of books in Irish have important sections for children, but these are primarily aimed at Irish-speaking children. I would recommend Rabhlai Rabhlai as there's a CD with it and you can hear children reciting and singing. Futa Fata is another important source of children's books and CDs but of course they're only as Gaeilge. The bookshop in Bray Cupla Focal has an on-line catalogue with sections for children such as Songs and Rhymes and you can look at the catalogue in English if you prefer. You can also have a look at Cogg.ie, Gaelscoileanna, Skoool.ie etc but again it will only be in Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

And I forgot to add that more and more you can find websites on the net for learning Irish for children with all kinds of interactive games and animation - here's one example
    http://www.babogbaby.com/index.php/interactive/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Check out the childrens' books on www.udar.ie as well, at this link: http://www.mclove.netdirector.co.uk/category/Leabhair_Books/P_ist__Kids,b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

• Advertisement
Advertisement