Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Dublin ever Irish?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

MarchDub wrote: »
    Listen, if it's not on record it can't be part of a historical discussion. We might as well speculate that maybe Martians came in a flying saucer and took them all up - or maybe they all left and settled in Japan.

There is no validity in historiography with a statement such as 'just because it wasn't recorded'.

Usually I'd agree with you MarchDub but in fairness to Doozie - who gave me supremely detailed maps and information on the medieval walls of Dublin thanks to this thread from last year - it's perfectly acceptable in historical articles for a professional historian to postulate on events where there is A) a clash in the primary sources B) a gap in the primary sources where an aspect of the past needs to be understood. As long as they explain the lacunae in sources and make it clear that their interpretation of it is surmised then it is acceptable for them to offer an explanation to their peers. It is then often followed by an article from another historian disputing it and from that academic debate is fed. Doing this, within the above confines, is common in history writing. It also accounts for a large part of the reason why history is an 'arts' subject rather than an entirely verifiable science subject.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Suggestions are more the preserve of archaeologists and English lit/crit theorists, definitely not historians.

This merely reflects the lack of written sources available to archaeologists. There are many situations in historical writing where a paucity of primary sources exist and in this scenario it's perfectly acceptable for a historian to offer suggestions/solutions to problems as long as she/he makes it clear that these are suggestions because the written sources do not exist. In fact, a professional historian usually wants to read such suggestions because they would invariably be informed suggestions given that the writer has referenced the evidence in the rest of the article and would be an authority on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Usually I'd agree with you MarchDub but in fairness to Doozie - who gave me supremely detailed maps and information on the medieval walls of Dublin thanks to this thread from last year - it's perfectly acceptable in historical articles for a professional historian to postulate on events where there is A) a clash in the primary sources B) a gap in the primary sources where an aspect of the past needs to be understood. As long as they explain the lacunae in sources and make it clear that their interpretation of it is surmised then it is acceptable for them to offer an explanation to their peers. It is then often followed by an article from another historian disputing it and from that academic debate is fed. Doing this, within the above confines, is common in history writing. It also accounts for a large part of the reason why history is an 'arts' subject rather than an entirely verifiable science subject.

You raise an interesting point about the position of history within disciplines. As you likely know there has been a raging debate about this for some time with many historians claiming that historic research is a science and ought to be treated as such.

An argument against the science model is that science develops predictive models for the future i.e. smoking can cause cancer etc. and history is about the past. But then there is a counter-argument against this predictive quality as the imperative and sole science model - and that science is about conclusions based on empirical evidence and as such the history model does fit.

I have no issue whatsoever with the model of advancing a position in historic research and then looking for the empirical evidence to support the theory – I’m an empiricist in that sense. What I was talking about in my post was injecting a postulation into a discussion as if that were enough to suggest an alternative to the known evidence. Do you see the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I am with you with the empiricist approach and it is a lot harder to have to go in there and support an argument with sources that can be checked.

That makes the forum more enjoyable too cos people can read around a topic. I am amazed at the volume and depth of knowledge I have gotten here and I love history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Further to my last post, here are some words in the Dublin dialect of Irish which survived until the start of the 20th century:
    Ná bac leis = Nevermind
    scológ = farmer (very different to the other dialects)
    garsún = boy
    smacht = control
    cábóg = dirty man (as in unhygenic not a pervert)
    toitín = burning ember

There's lots more in An Ghaeilge i mBaile Átha Cliath by Liam Mac Mathúna. They are collected from native speakers from Shankill and near by areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭depaly

Fort of the Dane,
    Garrison of the Saxon,
    Augustan Capital
    Of a Gaelic Nation.

- Louis McNeice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes of course it was irish and it is still irish, it is inhabited by irish people and run by an irish convernment.

Advertisement