Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Sylvanian Family experts out there?

Options
  • 14-10-2020 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Our little girl is going to be 3 in January. Has a great imagination and will olay for hours with her brother's farm set. This causes plenty of rows.
    Wondering about Sylvanian families? Can anyone recommend a good starter set? I'd like to be able to add to it over time, like we did with her brother's farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

She's still very young so you can get away with a multitude.

If it were me I'd probably go for the nursery or the red roof cottage, they are around 25-35 euro. Then bulk the present out with extra families and accessories etc.

Save the bigger more expensive houses for when she's older more aware of the toy..... There is a risk that she won't like them or play with them as much as you'd expect.

I had (still do) "forest families" they were like Cindy to barbie... Absolutely loved them... So hopefully your little girl will also get lots of fun from her sylvanian family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

heldel00 wrote: »
    Our little girl is going to be 3 in January. Has a great imagination and will olay for hours with her brother's farm set. This causes plenty of rows.
    Wondering about Sylvanian families? Can anyone recommend a good starter set? I'd like to be able to add to it over time, like we did with her brother's farm.

Why not get her a farm set of her own?

Thats obviously what she is currently into so to me its the logical choice.

We have a 3 and a half year old boy and a 26 month old girl and their toys are very much interchangeable. We have made a conscious effort to not label what they play with eg trucks and farms are for boys and prams and dollys are for girls. Sometimes she will play with action man or lego or farm stuff, sometimes he will play with her pram or other toys.

Its something my wife was always very conscious of and tbh, unless she brought it up Id probably have been a bit girls toys for girls, boys toys for boys, even if it was on a subconscious level.

Our little girl absolutely loves being outside, digging in muck, splashing in muddy puddles, rolling around with my parents dogs so we just encourage her to do whatever makes her happy.

If a farm set is what she loves, imo a farm set is what she should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

That'd be my thinking too. Would absolutely agree that we can sometimes make some toys 'unsuitable for girls or boys' in our own minds, even when the kids don't see it that way at all!

These guys (Irish company) have little 'fields' for farm play : https://www.thefield.ie/shop/

Sounds like they'd both get great use out of some farm animal sets and a few tractors, and the sylvanian families could work the farm then if you get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We have a 3 and a half year old boy and a 26 month old girl and their toys are very much interchangeable. We have made a conscious effort to not label what they play with eg trucks and farms are for boys and prams and dollys are for girls. Sometimes she will play with action man or lego or farm stuff, sometimes he will play with her pram or other toys.

Its something my wife was always very conscious of and tbh, unless she brought it up Id probably have been a bit girls toys for girls, boys toys for boys, even if it was on a subconscious level.

Our little girl absolutely loves being outside, digging in muck, splashing in muddy puddles, rolling around with my parents dogs so we just encourage her to do whatever makes her happy.

That’s fair enough. But they probably don’t want two farm sets in the house. I don’t mind what my kids play with gender wise, but I wouldn’t buy a duplicate of something we already had.

jlm29 wrote: »
    That’s fair enough. But they probably don’t want two farm sets in the house. I don’t mind what my kids play with gender wise, but I wouldn’t buy a duplicate of something we already had.

People buy 'duplicate' bikes for each child etc, I don't see why it'd be an issue for each of them to have their own farm set! OP said it causes rows so there's a good reason imo

• Advertisement

lucalux wrote: »
    People buy 'duplicate' bikes for each child etc, I don't see why it'd be an issue for each of them to have their own farm set! OP said it causes rows so there's a good reason imo

It’s just that they’re bulky indoor toys. My sons farm toys take up a lot of floor space, I wouldn’t want double the amount.

It’s just that they’re bulky indoor toys. My sons farm toys take up a lot of floor space, I wouldn’t want double the amount.

That makes sense, but Sylvanian families have a fairly big footprint too, if you look at the bigger houses etc

I would have thought a farm set would be things like animals, couple of tractors. We have loads of them and aside from a few of the bigger tractors they don't take up much more floor space than a couple of books or a bucket of lego would.

I would have thought a farm set would be things like animals, couple of tractors. We have loads of them and aside from a few of the bigger tractors they don't take up much more floor space than a couple of books or a bucket of lego would.

We’ve a couple of sheds and fields, they take up a good bit of space. Anyhow, it hardly matters. The OP did not ask what we though was appropriate for the daughter, just for advice re sylvanian families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Was waiting on a post like this -
    she has her own tractor, overalls, wellies etc. She only plays with farm set because we don't have a huge selection of toys in the house. The farmset is her brother's thing. It has been added to for past few years. I want her to have her "own thing" and a collection like he has.
    But thank you for the parenting advice.

• Advertisement

she has her own tractor, overalls, wellies etc. She only plays with farm set because we don't have a huge selection of toys in the house. The farmset is her brother's thing. It has been added to for past few years. I want her to have her "own thing" and a collection like he has.

Christ, no need to be such a sensitive Stacey. I only made the suggestion as it may not have been something you considered, sometimes the most obvious option is the one we cant see ourselves and I most certainly was not questioning your parenting, she is your daughter and you will get her what you see fit, as right you should, but it seems fairly obvious to me that if she likes playing with the farm set then she should have her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Christ, no need to be such a sensitive Stacey. I only made the suggestion as it may not have been something you considered, sometimes the most obvious option is the one we cant see ourselves and I most certainly was not questioning your parenting, she is your daughter and you will get her what you see fit, as right you should, but it seems fairly obvious to me that if she likes playing with the farm set then she should have her own.

I get what you’re saying but the problem is, in the end it just becomes one big farm set and the brother ends up playing with it to resulting in more ructions. I can hear it now “that my cow”, “no mine”. Or maybe that’s just my kids :D

bee06 wrote: »
    I get what you’re saying but the problem is, in the end it just becomes one big farm set and the brother ends up playing with it to resulting in more ructions. I can hear it now “that my cow”, “no mine”. Or maybe that’s just my kids :D

Hah, yep, we face that challenge daily, all we do is try and set boundaries to ensure both have an equal amount to play with ie both have the same number of cows, tractors etc, works most of the time but tbh, more often than not, one of them quickly gets bored and moves on to something else anyway.

Not sensitive at all. Just gave you the facts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

To save a few quid if you want Sylvanian for her buy Forest Families on Aliexpress 1/4 of the price than the stuff here and she'll be none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

pc7 wrote: »
    To save a few quid if you want Sylvanian for her buy Forest Families on Aliexpress 1/4 of the price than the stuff here and she'll be none the wiser.
    Awful idea. You could be giving your child toys containing any sorts of chemicals from an unregulated market. But sure save a few quid. :rolleyes:

OP my daughter loves Sylvanians. They are great quality and last. The cosy cottage and a couple of sets of families would be a great idea.

lazygal wrote: »
    Awful idea. You could be giving your child toys containing any sorts of chemicals from an unregulated market. But sure save a few quid. :rolleyes:

OP my daughter loves Sylvanians. They are great quality and last. The cosy cottage and a couple of sets of families would be a great idea.

I'm confused, forest families have been on the market for years.... I had them as a child in the 80/90's.
    I looked at them on aliexpress and they look the same as the ones I had, well I still have them.

I think roches stores was the main place to buy them at the time as they weren't as widely distributed as sylvanian families.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

lazygal wrote: »
    . But sure save a few quid. :rolleyes:

Most families with smallies are tight for money, especially this year, was just giving the poster options that are a little more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm confused, forest families have been on the market for years.... I had them as a child in the 80/90's.
    I looked at them on aliexpress and they look the same as the ones I had, well I still have them.

I think roches stores was the main place to buy them at the time as they weren't as widely distributed as sylvanian families.
    Aliexpress sells knock offs. You don't know what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fx83wab

LOL at someone coming onto the parenting forum, asking for advice. And then getting sarky thanking someone for the parenting advice.

• Advertisement

fx83wab wrote: »
    LOL at someone coming onto the parenting forum, asking for advice. And then getting sarky thanking someone for the parenting advice.

LOL yourself. I asked for advice on Sylvanian families and got a lengthy post on gender typical toys.

fx83wab wrote: »

They got sarky because people started rowing in giving advice on parenting when they asked for advice on toys. Wouldn’t blame the OP

They have the baby castle nursery reduced in the black Friday deals in smyths and the elephant family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

My daughter just turned 3 and santa is bringing her this:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/fashion-and-dolls/sylvanian-families/sylvanian-families-red-roof-grand-mansion-gift-set/p/173711

she loves playing with this stuff and putting little ones to bed etc.

Advertisement