Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repeat worries

• 27-08-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

If I fail a repeat for a module am I able to progress to the next year or do I have to repeat the semester/year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

romulv95 wrote: »
    If I fail a repeat for a module am I able to progress to the next year or do I have to repeat the semester/year.

If you fail a repeat you cannot progress to the next year.

You'll need to repeat the module on a link-in basis. This means you'll have a semester where you do the module you failed and only the module you failed. You'll then progress to the next year of your course in September.

If doing a link in, you do not pay the Student Contribution. You just pay the fee for the module (~€568).

EDIT: To add, grades of link-in modules are uncapped. I think you're allowed a maximum of 2 link ins per semester. Any more than that and you'll have to repeat the semester/year depending on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 romulv95

So if it's only the one module repeat I fail, I have to do that module on it's own and then I progress onto second year in September 2016?

So if it's only the one module repeat I fail, I have to do that module on it's own and then I progress onto second year in September 2016?

Yup.

Would I have to pay for a whole year or just the module fee as you stated?

Also do I have to apply to be linked-in?

Would I have to pay for a whole year or just the module fee as you stated?

Also do I have to apply to be linked-in?

You just pay for the one module. I think it's €568 for every module, but not 100% if that's across the college.

You apply by getting a link-in registration form from outside SAA, fill it out, and take it to the Fees Office with confirmation of payment (if you pay through the portal, they can check it there, or just just bring a cheque or bank draft with you). You'll need to do this before the end of Week 1.

You don't need to register for the module in Week 1 like everyone else, Fees Office pass your link-in form to SAA and they register you.

• Advertisement

Okay. Thanks for all the help.

No worries. Having been there, I know it's not fun trying to figure out what is actually involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I really wish they would allow you to do it like it's done in some other colleges where if you fail only the one module you can repeat it alongside your modules for the next year on a link in basis. It's a waste of a year having to do only the one module and a few hours a week in it.

I've one more repeat tomorrow that I'm not that confident about, and if I fail it I'll have to repeat it, the worst part is it being a second semester module I'll have to wait until January before I can do anything at all. And even then the 2-3 hours a week are nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 PaulRyan17

In WIT if you fail 2 or less, you can go onto the next year and just repeat those two exams when doing your other exams. Much better than they way some colleges have it. Whole year to do one module is madness

I really wish they would allow you to do it like it's done in some other colleges where if you fail only the one module you can repeat it alongside your modules for the next year on a link in basis. It's a waste of a year having to do only the one module and a few hours a week in it.

I've one more repeat tomorrow that I'm not that confident about, and if I fail it I'll have to repeat it, the worst part is it being a second semester module I'll have to wait until January before I can do anything at all. And even then the 2-3 hours a week are nothing.

Agreed. I was "lucky" the year I did it in that I had a module each semester, but only having a few hours a week is really depressing if you can't find a job to fill up the time...

Even if they let you take some electives or carry out some research alongside the modules then at least it wouldn't be a total write off of a year...

But then I guess you could equally argue that you should just cop on and pass them the first time... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

I think its inhumane if you did not get co-op and were forced to take a subject that bore no relevance to your chosen course and then fail this 'odd' subject ...that is totally alien to your studies!

Advertisement